It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine seems to be de-powered
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:01 am 
LOST Member

I got a yellow check engine light in the dashboard and my KJ runs like being de-powered. I put it on Drive but I have to really push the pedal to make it go. It started when I had very little diesel fuel, so, could it be that some dust in the fuel clogged some injector and this is why I don't feel the usual power on the engine?
When I switch from Neutral to Drive, the engine makes a big push but then it doesn't really moves the car. I also have issues on steep slopes. I have to fully push the pedal to go uphill.
I run a diagnosis scan and got these codes:
P0700
P0605
ImageImageImageImage
What should I do?
Is it just a wiring issue and doesn't relate to dirty fuel?
And is it ok to keep driving the car, or it can be severely damaged?

Post subject: Re: Engine seems to be de-powered
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 am 
LOST Addict

P0700 indicates something wrong with a transmission. You will probably have to take it to a dealer or transmission shop to diagnose the specific problem.
If the transmission is in limp mode it can cause the problems you are having with acceleration.
Common problems are:
Transmission solenoid pack
Transmission input and output speed sensors.

I don't know what to make of the P0605 code.
It could be related to the transmission or it could just be a fluke.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:44 am 
LOST Addict

Ok. After some internet searching, it looks like the P0605 code may be related to the transmission control module TCM.
And the solution may require replacement of the TCM.
First check the wiring harness connection to the TCM to make sure it is plugged in properly and if you can, remove the connector and module to check for corroded or broken pins.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No clue on P0605; P0700 is a uninformative generic flag that there is a transmission code stored but only someone with a dealer equivalent code reader can read transmission codes as flash indicates.

I see you have an 06 in which case I'd unwrap and inspect the main wiring harness behind the fuel filter support bracket. It's known for wire chaffing/damage on the 06 model due to tight wire routing. I also note this started after you ran low on fuel so it's possible you sucked some air into the fuel filter and it's stuck in the top of the filter head; bleed filter head per Sir Sam's video.

If you do try to pull the plug on the TCM be advised:
a. once you undo the plug retaining bolt you will likely find the plug is on there really tight and requires some wiggling and tugging to get it off
b. when you go to put it back on be really careful tightening that bolt as it's really easy to "spin" the retaining nut on the back side of the plastic housing. Do NOT use the bolt as the primary tool to pull the plug back in place. Once the plug is seated just barely tighten the bolt.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Your transmission is in limp mode. In D you're stuck in 3rd gear which is why you need high revs to get it moving. You have manual control of 2nd or 3rd using the shifter so using 2nd to get it going makes life a bit easier if you need to drive it.

P0605 is a TCM internal self test failure. Long shot your battery may be low otherwise you're looking at a new TCM.

papaindigo wrote:
a. once you undo the plug retaining bolt you will likely find the plug is on there really tight and requires some wiggling and tugging to get it off
b. when you go to put it back on be really careful tightening that bolt as it's really easy to "spin" the retaining nut on the back side of the plastic housing. Do NOT use the bolt as the primary tool to pull the plug back in place. Once the plug is seated just barely tighten the bolt.

FYI Keith put together some instructions with photos on his website
google: gde tcm removal instructions

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:19 pm 
LOST Member

Thank you for all your help. Is it safe to keep driving the car for now?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For a very limited period of time around town you are probably ok but I would not do it much. If it's limp mode that's designed to "limp" you home and/or to a repair shop not drive cross country.

That said try the items I mentioned (fuel filter and wiring by it). I agree it sounds like transmission limp mode but.. Can you count shifts 1>2>3>? and report what shifts you feel and what's your top speed limited to in that gear and the associated RPMs.

Have you checked your transmission fluid level? Remember only use ATF+4 and that the tranny likes to be really full.

FYI the 545RFE automatic is used in a host of DCJ vehicles so any decent transmission shop should be able to diagnose and fix. You are not limited to a dealer and the transmission is NOT a CRD specific item.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:00 pm 
LOST Addict

In limp mode the TCM is not controlling anything including the fluid pressure which is why it's likely making strange buzzing noises as well. I wouldn't drive it any more than absolutely necessary until you fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:25 pm 
LOST Member

dirtmover wrote:
Your transmission is in limp mode. In D you're stuck in 3rd gear which is why you need high revs to get it moving. You have manual control of 2nd or 3rd using the shifter so using 2nd to get it going makes life a bit easier if you need to drive it.

P0605 is a TCM internal self test failure. Long shot your battery may be low otherwise you're looking at a new TCM.

papaindigo wrote:

FYI Keith put together some instructions with photos on his website
google: gde tcm removal instructions

Is it possible to check the battery level using an iphone app and the OBD2? If so, which app?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:59 pm 
LOST Member

Forgot to mention that the same day this problem started, the front/driver side light stopped working.
I just counted the shifts as papaindigo asked me and no, it doesn't shift gears at all. It is just 3rd gear the whole time and that is why it doesn't have any power. I don't listen to any gear shift.
I checked the battery level using my OBD2 and it says 14.6V. Could that be?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

14.6 is normal if it's running. 12.6-13 is where it should be when the jeep is off

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:52 pm 
LOST Member

jws84_02 wrote:
14.6 is normal if it's running. 12.6-13 is where it should be when the jeep is off

So then battery is not low and therefore, it is the TCM...?
BTW, forgot to mention that another fault code is P0001.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:48 pm 
LOST Member

Ok, then if it is the TCM, where can I buy one for my KJ CRD from 2005?
The part number is P56044737AF but I can't find the part on any web store. I only found one that was used from a junkyard on the internet. Where can I find a new one?
Thank you,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:08 pm 
LOST Addict

If you really want a new one you will have to buy it from a mopar dealer.
A used one can save you a lot of money though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:49 pm 
LOST Addict

...and don't forget that a new one will need to be dealer programmed for even more $$$.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:49 pm 
LOST Member

Where can I buy a used one and where can I buy a new one? I searched on the mopar website and it seems they dont sell it or it is not listed. Isn't it a Bosch component? And does it need re programming with a Chrysler scanner?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:55 am 
LOST Junkie

Some of us are using the ram hemi tcm. There is a thread in here somewhere about it. I got mine off ebay for around $70. I'll come back here later today and add that part number

56029053ad

I can't figure out how to post thread links from this darn phone. But searching for "ram tcm" will get you to it

Last edited by jws84_02 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:10 am 
LOST Addict

hgrimberg wrote:
Where can I buy a used one and where can I buy a new one? I searched on the mopar website and it seems they dont sell it or it is not listed. Isn't it a Bosch component? And does it need re programming with a Chrysler scanner?

Don't quote me on this but I don't believe Bosch is the manufacturer of the TCM.

The revision you're looking for (the last letters in the P/N AF) is not available any more as a new part. The good news is the TCM is not specific to the model year so any revision from either 05 or 06 will work for you. They are all functionally identical. You should widen your search to P56044737A*. You'd also do well to drop the P from the search.

I believe AJ is the latest so try searching for 56044737AJ and you should get more relevant hits.

If you want used I had success with car-part.com

There's no mating of the TCM with any of the other modules so re-programming should not be required. The module does however adapt to transmission wear so you can maximise your chance of compatibility and avoid having to take it to the dealer for quick learn by looking for a donor of similar mileage.

If you go for a new module your dealer should be able to fix you up with the latest revision. I believe a trip to the dealer for quick learn is mandatory.

...or online dealer: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/pro ... 737AJ.html

There are also places that repair vehicle modules but I was unable to find one that would work on our TCM.

jws84_02 wrote:
Some of us are using the ram hemi tcm. There is a thread in here somewhere about it. I got mine off ebay for around $70. I'll come back here later today and add that part number

I'm not against this but make sure you read the previous threads and understand the risks before going this route.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:28 am 
LOST Member

Wow! Thank you for finding this part! I spent half a day searching in the web and couldnt find it. I only found a used one from 2004. You said I can only use the ones from 05 or 06 only, right?
What also troubles me is the cause of this possible TCM damage. The same day I had this problem, my front light went down, so could I have a short circuit somewhere that damaged both this light and my TCM? And, if I replace the TCM, isn't there the chance of having it damaged again?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:05 am 
LOST Member

I ended up buying Part number: R6044737AJ from: https://secure.revolutionparts.com/west ... r6044737aj
It seems that now the part number has changed and it is R6044737AJ which replaces the old 56044737AJ. Right?