It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: All dash warning lights flasing at random
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Tonight after coming out from and errand to start the Jeep in a parking lot to drive home all of the dash lights and warning chimes started flashing at random. There does not seem to be any pattern to the flashing. Between the time the Jeep started until I arrived home (approx. 3 miles) at least every dash light flashed at least once, including the little red dot that blinks when the Jeep is locked. Additionally, the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge would work intermittently and at one point the EVIC stopped working but then came back on and the speedometer and tachometer seemed to be working fine the whole time.

There was no sign or warning of the problem prior to this happening tonight so I'm a bit miffed.

I think I remember reading posts about this issues a long time ago so I suspect its chaffing in the wiring harness above the fuel filter head. However, since I don't have time to start looking at it tonight, I wanted to see if anyone else ran into this problem before as well and could confirm my suspicions.

I did look through the recent old posts as well and it seems there has been a rash of wheel speed sensors and ABS sensor failures lately but the symptoms I saw did not match what I've read (certain lights on, not all lights on).

I also should add, I did scan for codes and none were present.

Thanks,

Mike

Post subject: Re: All dash warning lights flasing at random
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:37 am 
LOST Newbie

checked the battery..?

2003 KJ Liberty 2.5 CRD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:34 am 
LOST Junkie

I would suggest that you check the harness behind the fuel filter head first....the harness going to the Cluster goes through that area....pretty sure that is where your problem will be although wiring issues could be anywhere!

Otherwise you need to access the Cluster connector to make sure it is seated firmly in case of a bad connection. :?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Also check for dirty or loose battery terminals.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the leads.

I was able to look into them, I checked the battery with a voltmeter, it read 12.47V, also checked the terminals they looked almost brand new and very clean.

I then pulled the wiring harness behind the fuel filter apart, I did not see any chaffing or any cracked/bare wires. I separated the wires and started the Jeep to see if it was a shorting issue, that did not help. All that occurred was more of the same, random chimes and warning lights.

I did not replace the battery; could that be the culprit, or maybe a bad ground? The battery was manufactured in 11/2012. I thought I saw a previous post about a problem like this being fixed with a battery replacement but I've read so many posts recently it could have been another problem as well.

I'm going to check the wires in the harness once more tomorrow evening in the event I missed something, otherwise I may replace the battery before taking it to a shop to be looked at.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

The battery may be the possible cause. Resting at 12.47 is kinda low. Typically new batts rest at 12.8-13.1

I would try a 5 amp charger overnight and see if that brings your batt back up

Otherwise it's a wiring issue I'm afraid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:42 am 
LOST Junkie

Yeah I would start with charging the battery.

There is also a Front Control Module that sits virtually under the battery on the LH fender that is subject to getting water, mud etc. splashed on it which causes corrosion on its connectors and causes weird problems. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:56 am 
LOST Member

Check all your grounds. As a former line mechanic this was the #1 issue with all the electrical problems I worked on when things were acting crazy.

1993 C3500 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel
1984 C7500 Chevy Flat Bed 366 gas
1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got the Jeep back from the dealer tonight. They didn't find anything but fixed the problem by unplugging and plugging the radio back in. Problem fixed!

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:58 am 
LOST Junkie

glaspak845 wrote:
Got the Jeep back from the dealer tonight. They didn't find anything but fixed the problem by unplugging and plugging the radio back in. Problem fixed!

Mike

I doubt that it had anything to do with the radio....maybe a bad connection/short somewhere in the radio area that corrected itself when things were moved about there....hopefully the problem does not come back! :wink: