It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Furthest You've Drive Your KJ In a Day?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:45 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm meeting family out in Phoenix, AZ from Atlanta, GA in a few weeks. I was hoping to do the trip in two days on the way there, three on the way back. It's just me. This would require basically 15hours behind the wheel the first day and 12 the next. I've done this before, but a few years ago and in a Prius. Has anyone done this duration in their Jeep? I'm worried because the Jeep is louder, doesn't track as straight, and the seats do not have great leg support comparatively. I'm afraid these factors are going to hurt my endurance.

The other option is to fly and rent an SUV there for 10 days. This of course blows the budget. Leaving a day early isn't really an option.

Post subject: Re: Furthest You've Drive Your KJ In a Day?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've driven from Cleveland to Saint Augustine, FL a few times when I was moving in mine. I'm a fairly big guy, 6'3" 280. I didn't have any problems that I haven't had in any other car, ever. Long drives are awful, period.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:28 am 
LOST Addict

I have driven 1300 miles in a lifted KJ pulling a trailer. Of course I was ALOT younger so I did it in record time. Now just driving across houston wears me out even though the KJ rides alot better now then it did back then.

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:33 am 
LOST Addict

I've driven 1000 miles, 15 hours, from JAX to Fort Leonardwood MO in one day.

Also drove 570 miles, 8 hours, from JAX to Knoxville TN non-stop. When I finally did stop I had to learn how to walk again. Almost didn't make it to the restroom in time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:26 am 
LOST Newbie

I've driven from Seattle, WA to Yosemite National Park via I-5, which took about the same amount of time. The Jeep performed great. As for me, I made sure to stretch my legs whenever possible. I also switched out with my fiancé for a time. I personally would not recommend driving by yourself for that amount of time without rest.

SunCoast Torque Converter
HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Weeks Stage 1
Mann Provent 200
Fumoto Oil Valve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:32 am 
LOST Addict

Brasher wrote:
I'm meeting family out in Phoenix, AZ from Atlanta, GA in a few weeks. I was hoping to do the trip in two days on the way there, three on the way back. It's just me. This would require basically 15hours behind the wheel the first day and 12 the next. I've done this before, but a few years ago and in a Prius. Has anyone done this duration in their Jeep? I'm worried because the Jeep is louder, doesn't track as straight, and the seats do not have great leg support comparatively. I'm afraid these factors are going to hurt my endurance.

The other option is to fly and rent an SUV there for 10 days. This of course blows the budget. Leaving a day early isn't really an option.

I like driving because its an opportunity to have an adventure along the way.
Plus having your KJ with you means you can do some off-roading when you get to AZ.
I don't know which route you would be taking but definitely should stop in NM for some proper "New Mexican" food (green chilies on everything).
If you go the I-40 route you can drive through the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest National Park.
The worst part is that you will be doing this in the middle of summer. Yes, its a dry heat, but your CRD may not be happy driving up some of the grades.

Either way, once you get to Phoenix, sit down for a meal at Cooperstown. I think its a cool restaurant.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Before me and my ex split. We went on vacation to the smokey mountains. It was a 8-9hr drive for me and I let it eat. We were running 80-90 the whole way and still averaged 27mpg. She has a 05 crd stock with maf unplugged.

91 yj- 2.5L bored, cammed, ported intake,4.0tb,ford 19lb injectors,2.5 exhaust, Ax5 4.88 gears 3.5 BDSlift 33x10.5 bfg km2 lock right(front diff) 8.8 rear, sye, external slave, Durango steering box, browndog off-road mounts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tallahassee, FL to Tempe, AZ. About 950 miles each day. Can be done solo as stoutdog went out solo but nicer with two as we came back together after he passed PhD comps. Did Tallahassee to Kearney, NE together in 2 days. The together trips we had a 5X8 U-Haul behind us and the CRD inside was packed to the roof.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Longest I've traveled in mine is 1100 miles. I'd rather do long distance in my old truck but darn I love the mpg's of my crd. If I could get them to fit, I would switch out seats out of my f-150 and then I'd be set

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

NY to Fla in 2 days, one day 15 the next a little shorter. The same going back to NY.

Why fly, I would not have my CRD for a week and would have to rent a crappy rental gasser.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Cheyenne, WY to Moline, IL 820 miles pulling 4x6 utility trailer, lunch stop in Lincoln, NE. Moline to Columbus, OH the following day. Could have gone further the first day but don't care to drive in unfamiliar country after dark.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Drove 1650 miles solo in 23 hrs straight, only getting out of the jeep for fuel. Upstate NY to northern CO. I was 10 yrs younger then though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I drove mine from Elmendorf AFB (Anchorage AK) to Moody AFB (Valdosta GA). A littler over 4,500 Miles, and about 80 hours of driving. :JEEPIN:

Timing Belt Change at 76,000 miles (10 years old)
GDE FT ECO tune
Samco's (Red)
FCV Elbow Kit
Removed FCV/EGR/Cooler and all coolant hoses on driver side
No Muffler, Cat only and 2 1/2" straight pipe
86k miles (Original Owner)
Build Date Apr/05

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:09 pm 
LOST Member

I drove all night once from IL to northern MN, just under 500 miles. Only stopped for fuel and to help a stranger with a flat tire. Never shut the Jeep off the entire time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:02 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
Brasher wrote:

I like driving because its an opportunity to have an adventure along the way.
Plus having your KJ with you means you can do some off-roading when you get to AZ.
I don't know which route you would be taking but definitely should stop in NM for some proper "New Mexican" food (green chilies on everything).
If you go the I-40 route you can drive through the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest National Park.
The worst part is that you will be doing this in the middle of summer. Yes, its a dry heat, but your CRD may not be happy driving up some of the grades.

Either way, once you get to Phoenix, sit down for a meal at Cooperstown. I think its a cool restaurant.

This is a great restaurant Chpoes Bar and Grill:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/chopes-bar-and-cafe-la-mesa-2

Eat in the Bar though.

Stop here:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cattlemans-steakhouse-fabens-2

If you prefer a steak.

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

A little over 13 and a half hours solo in one day was my best. The seats don't offer much support or comfort for long hauls. Longest multi-day trip was from Colorado to Panama City Beach which was about 24 hours over 2.5 days.

Except for the seats, I like driving the Jeep Liberty for long hauls. It has the best AC out of all my vehicles. It has good range, cruises at a very low rpm, and has great power regardless of slope and/or altitude.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:49 am 
LOST Newbie

764 miles if I remember correctly. Got around 39.4mpg. Drove across Kansas and eastern Colorado.

Suncoast TC shift kit
40MPG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Does it count if its on a trailer behind a penske truck. That sucks way more than just driving the jeep.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:05 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
Does it count if its on a trailer behind a penske truck. That sucks way more than just driving the jeep.

Lmao.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Most I drove was several times Cleveland OH, - Hoover AL, about 715 miles. Took me 9-10 hours. I didn't feel being more tired than driving in other vehicles and I think what gets you worse is the traffic conditions, not the distance. There were times I left Alabama at 7pm after traffic smoothen up a bit and got home 5-6am (there is +1 to Eastern time) and didn't feel I need sleep till later in the day.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.