It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soon to be new CRD owner!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:01 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys. Picking up this 2006 CRD LTD tomorrow!

http://www.chryslerofoconomowoc.com/200 ... c-2854.htm

Previous owner on the forums perhaps?

Post subject: Re: Soon to be new CRD owner!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:10 am 
LOST Newbie

Forgot to ask, with 128k miles I *hope* the timing belt has been done.

Without service records is there anyway to determine if the t-belt was replaced?

I really wouldn't mind if it hasn't been done yet. I'm kinda looking forward to wrenching on this thing :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:48 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
In the absence of a receipt for the parts, the only thing I suggest accepting as proof is the yellow sticker from Gates. It is about 2"x3" and I always put it on the radiator cross member. I haven't worked on any in Wisconsin, so I haven't worked on that one. But if you want me to do the timing belt, that can be arranged.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:22 am 
LOST Member

I believe this a the Liberty that I saw at Jack Safro Ford in Oconomowoc about 4 years ago. If it is it showed up shortly after I bought mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:54 am 
LOST Addict

pnad wrote:
Without service records is there anyway to determine if the t-belt was replaced?

Unless you open the timing cover and spot non-OE components (belt/wp) I'd assume it hasn't been done but if you can do it yourself the cost of peace of mind is $400 + a few hours of your time. Well worth it IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Do not "hope" or "assume" anything regarding a timing belt change. Per geordi either you have proof that it has been done or you assume that it has not been done and do it ASAP. Yes you can open the timing cover and look but it might not tell you much and by the time you are in that far you might as well do the belt.

Only alternative I can think is since you got it at a dealer to back to them and get a vehicle history report (STAR report IIRC) which will show such past service information as was entered in the DCJ system which would reflect a TB job if done by dealer.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

pnad wrote:
I really wouldn't mind if it hasn't been done yet. I'm kinda looking forward to wrenching on this thing :)

You will never know unless you have a dated repair ticket in hand, indicating that the work has been done.

Have fun doing the work yourself, take your time and do the job right so that you can rest assured.

Once a CRD has all the kinks worked out, it becomes a unique, enjoyable vehicle to drive. A ballsy Italian powered 2.8 Litre Intercooled Turbo Diesel, that is super fun.

Congrats on your purchase and good luck with your repair.

Racer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Congrats. I just bought one also. How much did you get it for?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Welcome to the group! From experience, I would definitely recommend checking out the Noob guide listed at the top of this page. There's great information in there.

Other things to do:

- Get the GDE EcoTune or eliminate the EGR with the Weeks stage 1 and 2 kits (or both). This will prolong your engine life and give you better MPGs.
- Look into replacing the torque converter, if it has not been done
- Replace the fuel filter

Good luck!

SunCoast Torque Converter
HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Weeks Stage 1
Mann Provent 200
Fumoto Oil Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The torque converter may not need to be replaced just out of habit - there are many who haven't had any issues with them. If you experience the shuddering when you attempt to accelerate while moving at speed, that is the indication that you are having slip.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:44 am 
LOST Member

I too bought a dealer CRD with about 120k miles on it. They claimed the timing belt had been done and even showed me a service record at 99k miles as "proof". That having been said, my tensioner failed and took the rockers with it less than 5000 miles after I purchased the vehicle. The dealer said they would cover it under warranty but denied any service after claiming the "oil was too low" at the time of the failure. Almost $2000 later I had new rockers, lifters, water pump, timing belt/tensioners/pulleys/serpentine belt/alternator decoupler, EGR delete, and a hot tune to boot... but if I had it to do all over again I would have spent the $400 on a timing belt job and had a LOT more spare cash to throw at upgrades.

Moral of the story: They didn't change your timing belt, or if they did it was probably some dealer wrench monkey who didn't even replace the tensioner. As far as I could tell on my rig the tensioner and idler pulleys were factory and only the timing belt was ever replaced.

2006 CRD Sport - Weeks kit, ARP studs, and DIY ECU flash
1985 CJ10 pickup
1985 CJ10A tug truck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:35 am 
LOST Addict

Yes Timing belt replacement is of paramount importance. I had mine done at Susquehanna Dodge Jeep with parts from IDParts.com In talking to the mechanic before I brought mine in he questioned the full parts list I had. He was very interested in being sure I have a new tension pulley and the idler pulleys, those parts he said may or may not last until the next belt change interval and not worth the gamble to not change it. the IDparts kit includes all that for $400

welcome to the Adventure of CRD ownership :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:06 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys. I will be ordering the t-belt parts soon.
I already watched the 'how to' videos :)

I'm used to working on turbo mitsu motors so the lack of timing marks and pin-less cam gears has me slightly nervous.

Anyone in WI have the timing tools I can borrow?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You can rent the timing belt tools from https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/ or GDE

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
Do not "hope" or "assume" anything regarding a timing belt change. Per geordi either you have proof that it has been done or you assume that it has not been done and do it ASAP. Yes you can open the timing cover and look but it might not tell you much and by the time you are in that far you might as well do the belt.

Only alternative I can think is since you got it at a dealer to back to them and get a vehicle history report (STAR report IIRC) which will show such past service information as was entered in the DCJ system which would reflect a TB job if done by dealer.

I kinda unbolted the TB cover last night. The belt has "Goodyear" in yellow print on it. I've only had the Jeep a short while so I will get the TB replaced soon. Does the factory belt have the Goodyear logo on it or something else?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Prepare for the headaches of Liberty crd ownership :BANANA:
Make sure you do proper mods ASAP, egr delete etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:50 pm 
LOST Addict

JAFO wrote:
papaindigo wrote:

I kinda unbolted the TB cover last night. The belt has "Goodyear" in yellow print on it. I've only had the Jeep a short while so I will get the TB replaced soon. Does the factory belt have the Goodyear logo on it or something else?

Goodyear is the factory belt. Replacements are available branded Goodyear, but they are rare. The belt is manufactured by Gates.
Where are you located?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:43 pm 
LOST Member

U can by the TB. tools on EBAY for $80 to $120 dont remember the part # got mine used for $55 on EBAY about 2 years ago good luck and have fun at :pepper: it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:44 am 
LOST Addict

I made my "tools" by grinding on bolts purchased at fastenal for about $5 via old post on this site, I didn't change water pump so didn't need cam tool. I decided to do next change whenever water pump gave out or maybe at 80k instead of 100k. Also from what I have read in past you can change out just front half of water pump with the new insides and possibly avoid a few hours of work. last I checked many water pumps lasted to the 200K change

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:52 pm 
LOST Addict

You should check again then - I have replaced several sets of rockers now on CRDs that have had the original water pump and far less than 200k miles. The water pump failure CAN AND WILL take out the timing and trash the rockers, and then you are looking at an additional $1000 in parts plus redoing all the labor and another 5 hours to boot.

Where are you located?