It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overheating after installing Hayden heavy duty Fan Clutch
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I Recently installed the hayden heavy duty fan clutch that is recommended a lot and am having problems overheating on long uphill grades.
When I first installed the fan clutch I noticed the increased engine noise right away, I thought that it might need a break in period. now after about a month and a half
I am only hearing the fan kick in occasionally. I did remove the lower half of the fan shroud.

My overheating has been up past the 230 mark and once got all the way to the 237 mark. When I turn the heater on high
the temp starts coming down and after a minute or so with the heat on it goes back down to the 205-210 mark.

I had a low coolant situation 2 years ago when one of the EGR Coolant lines was leaking and I refilled it with the Dealer recommended
pink coolant .

I had the water pump replaced this last november when having the timing belt serviced again had the mechanic refill it with the right coolant that I provided.
Could it be an air bubble? or do you all think I might have gotten a bad fan clutch, I can take the clutch off
and blow the heat gun on it to try and test it, what Temp should it lock up solid? Any thoughts where to start diagnosing?
also the bleed valve on the top left of my radiator only turns 90 degrees, which way is open? parallel to the engine or crossing the engine, I have tried to get it to bleed but do not see air bubbles in either position.

Post subject: Re: Overheating after installing Hayden heavy duty Fan Clut
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

If any of these symptoms are discussed elsewhere please let me know, I don't want to just start switching things out , especially the radiator. Any ideas how I can test my electric fan TSU and see if that's the problem?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

if you think it's the Fan clutch - one test would be to get rid of it.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51618

although most folks are okay just with the Hayden - it starts to lock about 30deg cooler that the OEM

no other comments I know of about troubleshooting

Squeeto had some photos in his thermostat thread - but I didn't see any that seemed to match the question

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51618

although the obvious would be air bubbles - or a clogged radiator - but you'd probably have to pull it to test

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Are you sure it can't be the thermostat?

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Ok... The factory coolant should be an HOAT ELC. I don't know if the Mopar coolant that you bought meets this, because I cannot remember the specific color that the original coolant is in the bucket. I think it could be pink though.

The HOAT ELC from Xerex (G-05) is a yellow / gold color coolant.

The bleeder valve is a lefty-loosey turn, and it should lift as you rotate it. Being stuck is normal, but it will come up.

I would question if the right coolant is there, and that you don't have a blockage or the thermostat is somehow causing part of the problem. It sounds like a flow problem, these things like to run cold normally, even when working.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:03 pm 
LOST Member

When did the overheating start?

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Why did you remove the lower fan shroud?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:36 am 
LOST Newbie

Make sure you reinstalled the fan onto the clutch the correct way...it will not be as efficient if it got flipped around.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

I removed the lower part of the fan shroud because it is near impossible to get the fan clutch and fan shroud out of the engine . It can be done but it is so much easier to remove when it is in 2 pieces.

I have the Mopar approved HOAT coolant, but it was not put In when my timing belt /water pump was done, (see my other post) I am flushing the system now and replacing with the correct coolant to see if that is the cause of my overheating. Also I have a new thermostat in the mail, mine could very well be stuck.