It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New turbocharger????
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:02 am 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2005 CRD with 225k mi on it.
I have been hearing a tinging metallic sound for about 3.5 mo.
I took it to a mechanic in Santa Fe, NM 3.5 mo ago, who said he had some experience with the CRD...he didn't find anything wrong with it.
I took it to a mechanic in Cortez, CO 3 mo ago on my way through, because he supposedly had experience with the CRD and the sound was worse (thought surely someone besides me could here it and tell me what was going on).
2 weeks ago I parked the CRD because the sound is horrible, it suddenly started using a lot more oil than normal got down to 2 qts low in 200 mi, got pretty warm climbing a hill (had to pull over and let it cool down), scared that something horrible is going on.
Found a mechanic here in Boise, ID that says he has worked on the CRD (I am inclined to believe it since I have seen 6 other CRD's here in Boise area) he called me this morning and said that preliminary report just from looking under the hood and running codes (waiting for the battery to charge because it was dead this morning) was that the turbocharger has gone out, the hoses need to be replaced as they are soaked in oil and a glow plug or two need replacing. So far, a bill of $6,000 +.
It has been a great jeep, I bought it at 113k mi (was regularly maintained at a dealer in GA, some upgrades done prior to my buying it) and in the last 112k mi it has had regular maintenance, a new torque converter, the ball valve drain in the oil pan, the map sensor replaced and cleaned regularly. I can do minor work on it after reading everything I can find and watching videos on it but I think the turbocharger is beyond my abilities and I cannot afford to put that much and more into it.
How hard is it to change all that out? When it goes out do a lot of other engine parts get ruined that will also have to be replaced? Should I just get rid of it? And, I still owe $5k on it as I have only had it 3 years.
I just need to decide what to do and find wheels in the next two weeks because I am moving on to WA state for 6 weeks.
Somebody help me decide what to do.

Post subject: Re: New turbocharger????
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:03 am 
LOST Junkie

For $6k you'd better be getting a new motor. That's a ridiculous amount for what you have listed. $1,100 for a turbo, let's say $300 at most for new silicone hoses, and $100 for ALL glowplugs. That's $1500, any competent mechanic can have that turbo changed in a day, so 8 hours of labor at a high rate of $80 is $640. So your up to $2140 total, plus some gaskets, fluids maybe an exhaust stud or two, add another 200 for $2340. Not sure where he's getting $6,000

I would ask him how he got to that number.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:18 am 
LOST Addict

You could replace replace the turbo yourself. Its not the easiest job but its doable.
Plan on spending all day doing it and be sure to soak the bolts in WD40 before removal.
The turbo oil drain pipe is a total witch to get back on.

Rebuilt turbos are available for under $1000 but the quality of these rebuilds is questionable. Stigan seems to be a good one and is available through amazon.
Stay away from any of the Chinese rebuilds sold on ebay.
A new turbo would be best and is available from IDparts for $1120 plus shipping.

Also, with a bad turbo, there is a chance that tiny pieces of metal have made their way through the turbo hoses and have coated the inside of the intercooler. These will all have to be cleaned.
Removal of the intercooler is not too hard but usually requires removal of the radiator. So that will add more time to the repair.

Last edited by flash7210 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:23 am 
LOST Addict

Agreed, $6K is double what it should be for that repair - parts & labour. Find yourself another mechanic.

Turbo and glow plug replacement doesn't require a mechanic with specific CRD experience although I would look for someone with experience working with small diesel engines as they'll be aware of the hazards and care that must be taken with old glow plug removal.

BTW, I wouldn't risk driving it in that condition else you may end up with a legitimate $6K+ repair bill.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:25 am 
LOST Addict

What crook is telling you $6k? :shock: I'm in Boise and I'll do it for $5k :ROTFL: No, seriously, run far and fast from that place. The Chrysler stealership would probably be your best bet, they have a mechanic that claims he has worked on our CRD's, and they would most likely do it for less than half of that.

Turbo and glow plugs, that's two nasty jobs at once. In it's current condition it isn't worth $5k, so you'll want to at least get it back up and running right.

Get the hours of labor from Chrysler if you have to, but if that place insists on charging you 6k, you need to know what a reasonable labor charge is, and tell them that is all you are willing to pay, or else you see them in court, and report them to better business bureau ect, ect...

If you decide to try the repair yourself, and get stuck, send me a PM and I'll help you out. Mostly you just need a good versatile set of 1/4 sockets, besides the regular stuff. Oh, and 8 & 10 mm ratcheting wrenches :2cents:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For what it's worth:
1. apparently the Boise person pulled some codes. What were those codes?
2. where was the tinging noise coming from? Could be turbo impeller scraping on housing which would also explain oil lose. Easy enough to check. Pull turbo CAC hose and airbox to turbo hose; wiggle impeller; anything more than minimal fore/aft and barely perceptible side to side play suggests turbo is shot especially is there is evidence of scraping on housing interior sides.
3. do you still have the OEM ceramic glow plugs? If so and if one of the codes was for bad glow plug(s) they do need replacing as the consensus seems to be once a ceramic glow plug throws a code then it's more likely to break which can cause internal engine damage.
4. changing CAC hoses to oil proof silicone is a 30-45 minute job tops and the only tool required is a straight blade screw driver although appropriate sockets and extensions can be helpful. Hose set with "T" clamps $189.95 from idParts
5. glow plugs are relatively easy to change with the exception of getting the intake flange off so you can get to #3 plug. Do your self a favor of at least replacing the stupid intake flange bolts with studs and nuts from any decent parts store or get Weeks101 FCV/flange replacement kit. You will need appropriate wrenches/sockets to remove alternator, intake elbow, fuel filter head, and the glow plugs but all are pretty standard ones. Depending on how it goes with the intake elbow figure 1-2 hrs labor. Four 7v. drop in metal glow plugs $99.80 from idParts and maybe $10 for intake flange studs, nuts, and lock washers.
6. turbo replacement is somewhat time consuming but only requires fairly standard wrenches and sockets. I cannot stress enough to soak the 4 turbo to exhaust manifold bolts with something like PBlaster for at least 24 hours before attempting removal. The studs are weak and the cursed OEM "jam" nuts tend to bind causing stud breakage during removal. Fortunately replacement grade 5 studs are available from any decent parts store if need be. I strongly recommend that you just use regular nuts and lock washers on the reinstall. Labor if all goes smoothly ca. 4 hours or if not 6-8. Parts needed from idParts turbo $1,120, turbo to exhaust metal gasket $21.20, turbo oil feed line crush washers $5.40 (you don't need a new feed line unless yours breaks during removal but do clean the inside of that line with like carb cleaner - if you do need a line it's $59.95), oil return line bottom grommet $6.99 not critical by why not, turbo oil return line upper gasket I do not see individually on idParts but suspect they have it for under $5.00. 4 nuts and lock washers and any stud replacements from local parts store ca. $10

If you are doing the above with no help I'd guess a couple days maximum. If a mechanic who knows what he/she is doing then 8 hours tops.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help, I appreciate it very much. We are going to go pick up the CRD, haul it home on a car hauler, buy parts as soon as I can afford it and replace them with my husband's help. I'm sure I will be doing a lot more reading on this board and looking at engine diagrams before I get into the job.
I love that CRD, it has been my daily driver for 3 years and don't want to get rid of it at this point but can't afford to put that kind of money into it right now, a "more time than money" kind of girl.
We have an 87 dodge ram charger and a 92 f250 so I'll drive one of those for the time being. :(