It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 Cherokee (Liberty) air in diesel query
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Good morning everyone,

I live in South Africa.

I need your assistance and wisdom please.

My 2005 Jeep Cherokee(Liberty) (KJ) CRD 2.8 keeps on getting air in the low pressure fuel system. If I bleed air from the filter, in no time at all the primer goes soft again and same old story!!! To me this indicates an air leak in THIS system.

I replaced the filter head with upgraded one, all the hoses from the tank to the aluminium fuel line at the back and from this line to the filter in front. I also replaced the rubber hose from the filter to the high pressure pump.

The high pressure system (pump, injectors, etc.) is 100%.

This leaves me with the sender unit in the tank, which would cost me nearly R6K ($480) to replace!!!!!

Could somebody explain to me what actually goes wrong with this unit and if it is possible to repair without replacing it. I do not want to go the lift pump route, too many conflicting opinions on that.

Kind regards,

Ludi

Susp:Ironman Coils, Shocks new bushes and ball joints
Therm: Replaced
EGR: Cleaned, re-installed
CCV Catch Can
MAP sensor: Cleaned
Injectors: Repl
Alt pulley: Repl
Serp Belt: Repl
Crank Pos Sens: Replaced
T/B & W/P: Repl @ 200k Km
Repl Cer GP with Etechno 7V GP 212k Km
Repl CCV

Post subject: Re: 2005 Cherokee (Liberty) air in diesel query
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

to be honest in my case lift pump was only option. 1st i replaced rubber fuel lines 2nd ff update ,no good back to dealer got warranty on it put on again , air was going in , then finally in tank lp fix if , last night i disassemble my old sending unit hook up vacuum gauge test it it is ok ,picture coming when i figure out how to post them . my opinion is 1st and 2nd fuel head are bad design , must go with reacor unit or just in tank pump . i was hoping to fine cracked flex plastic hose inside sending unit ,but i have to blame ff head assembly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:32 pm 
LOST Member

Ludi Neethling wrote:
Good morning everyone,

I live in South Africa.

I need your assistance and wisdom please.

My 2005 Jeep Cherokee(Liberty) (KJ) CRD 2.8 keeps on getting air in the low pressure fuel system. If I bleed air from the filter, in no time at all the primer goes soft again and same old story!!! To me this indicates an air leak in THIS system.

I replaced the filter head with upgraded one, all the hoses from the tank to the aluminium fuel line at the back and from this line to the filter in front. I also replaced the rubber hose from the filter to the high pressure pump.

The high pressure system (pump, injectors, etc.) is 100%.

This leaves me with the sender unit in the tank, which would cost me nearly R6K ($480) to replace!!!!!

Could somebody explain to me what actually goes wrong with this unit and if it is possible to repair without replacing it. I do not want to go the lift pump route, too many conflicting opinions on that.

Kind regards,

Ludi

I wouldn't expect the sender unit to be bad, but it is possible. I know the oil pressure sending units on certain year Dodge Ram trucks are known to go bad between 100k and 150k almost always. I assume the one used in the tank is of a similar design. I would have it tested if possible, but the odds are stacked in favor of a lift pump and/or aftermarket fuel filter head in this situation. I'm not sure what conflicting information you're getting about the lift pump option, I think the only option people have come to not like is the external lift pump. The in-tank sounds like a lot of work (which I'll be doing soon) but the results are unanimous that they increase the reliability of the Jeep and even smooth out the idle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:20 pm 
LOST Member

I had constant issues with air in my filter head. I replaced the fuel sender with one out of a 2005 dodge ram cummins and it helped a ton. I then found i had an air leak at the Water in Fuel sensor, replaced it today and hope everything is better. Your issue might be similar.