It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ready to buy a new Chrysler product? Read this first.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:35 am 
LOST Member

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

PS - this is a growing concern in the aviation community also, as it has much more computer integration in newer products.

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

Post subject: Re: Ready to buy a new Chrysler product? Read this first.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nothing DCJ specific there or no more specific than any modern heavily computerized system/vehicle/product is hackable.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:48 am 
LOST Member

Blah blah blah. :POPCORN:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:04 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm pretty sure that Uconnect is a option and is also a monthly paid service. So just don't pay for the service, activate it, or buy the fully loaded model with it installed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:19 am 
LOST Addict

With so many cars having a Cellular data system I'm not shocked that there are vulnerabilities and ways in to control the car. I don't know how the U connect system works as in with your Phone or has its own Data connection like Chevy's MyConnect does. The Chevy system with on-star even has access to vehicle diagnostic data the hacking potential there could be just as great if not more. I'd think the path to the CAN bus and sending commands is more direct. at any rate its something new to think about all manufactures are going to have to work out as vehicles become internet connected.

as someone that works in a segment of the IT industry I'm going to be watching this play out. :POPCORN:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:55 am 
LOST Member

I wish some hackers would start up the Dodge and Jeep and drive them away........ :ROTFL:

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

These systems have been in cars since 2008. They are accessible to the people who know they exist.

/Dons tinfoil hat

Michael Hastings, enough said

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Hey, my coworkers '14 JGC Overland liked to lock up its brakes on the open freeway because of the stupid auto cruise control system, no hacker required. I looked at the EcoDiesel Grand before I bought my F150 and told the dealer I only wanted a Limited with no Cruise Control or auto braking options, only the Off Road 2 package with air suspension, and they couldnt fathom such a thing. There wasnt one available within 10000000 miles so I bought my truck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Ahh, the good old days when cars had no fancy electronics and the only thing you had to worry about was your gas tank exploding from being rear ended.

Oh, wait... :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
LOL, love the paint job there! :-)r :-)r

As for the article, I'm surprised that it has taken this long, honestly. Cars are rolling computers already, and have been for quite some time. No effing way that I will ever drive one with one of these I-can-phone-home-for-you systems on it. I don't care why they think I might like it. Sometimes I don't want the car's software updated or to report where I've been and how fast. That isn't their business.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:48 am 
LOST Newbie

After reading this it seems like we're only a few years away from a real life version of Stephen King's Maximum Overdrive. :POPCORN:

SunCoast Torque Converter
HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Weeks Stage 1
Mann Provent 200
Fumoto Oil Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:07 am 
LOST Junkie

Yep for some time now manufacturers have been very quiet about the fact that they can pull data out of the vehicles ECM to be able to tell how fast you were traveling...seat belts being used etc. so as to void any insurance claim that you may try to place in case of an accident!

Give me the old vehicles with "points" and a "condensor" inside the "distriburator" and a "manual fuel pump" for a Diesel vehicle!

Sure economy would not be as good as modern vehicles and ABS etc. would not exist but at least the old cars could be fixed on the side of the road easily! :wink:

And this opinion comes from an Electrical Engineer! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:25 am 
LOST Member

Just wait till the self driving cars some out, and someone hacks one of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:18 am 
LOST Member

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2015/07/24/30613567/

Recall issued

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:27 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I notice from all this that Mopar has been aware of this flaw in their systems for about 6 months, and has done exactly BUPKIS until the coverage started flying and the videos surfaced. Now, they are crapping bricks and have issued the world's fastest recall. Acting like they "just developed the software fix" in the last 48 hours... BULL! That is a fresh steaming CART of bull excrement. They only did something about this because they had their noses publicly shoved into the problem, so they had to make a big show of the recall and the fix they have probably been sitting on for the last 5.5 months.

Don't anyone have any illusions about the other manufacturers though. These kind of flaws will always exist in any complex programming, and it is merely a matter of probabilities that they will be discovered for another manufacturer's products. Whether it is such a blatant flaw is another thing entirely, but it would be well advised for every carmaker to start taking security seriously.

When my phone or computer crashes, I'm annoyed. When my car crashes, I'm seeking lawyers and blood.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:32 am 
LOST Junkie

I suspect that they were sitting on the fix and intended that it would be applied to each vehicle as an ECU flash "upgrade" at the first annual service.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:49 am 
LOST Addict

Except we don't have annual service requirements here. We didn't get the lifetime warranty as an option on the diesels.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ah, right. We have a manufacturers' warranty normally good for 3 years, but a condition of the warranty is to have the vehicle serviced annually. After 3 years, its subject to an annual Ministry of Transport check. No check, then a) you can't get insurance, b) you can't get the annual Road Fund tax so that c) you will be committing 3 criminal offences (ie driving without MoT, insurance and valid Road Fund certificate).

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:58 am 
LOST Member

So very different around the world.....and they of course don't capitalise on it where they can. :P
Not a great fan of the show The Amazing Race but I did happen to catch the part where they used auto-reverse park jalopies and nearly peed their pants with glee not having to do anything to reverse park on the wrong side of the road for them. (Our side of the road). It was amusing.
seriouly thinking the KJ might be the last new car I've ever owned unless a distant unknown aunt passes and leaves a fortune.
Buy old anything I like and re-engineer so it can be fixed with confidence maybe my next move.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:04 am 

geordi wrote:
Except we don't have annual service requirements here. We didn't get the lifetime warranty as an option on the diesels.

Additional thoughts: If you own a vehicle and it is still registered and the manufacturer is required by the NTSB to issue a recall on an identified problem, you will receive an official recall notice via US mail. It is incumbent upon the owner of the vehicle to take it to a certified dealer to have the recall performed. It makes no difference what year model as there is no cutoff dates on any required recalls. If the owner chooses not to have the recall performed once he/she has been notified in a reasonable amount of time, then they have waved their rights if a malfunction were to occur. :roll:
Since I am now employed by a new car dealership, I have learned much as to how the campaigns (recalls) function and I have seen some that do apply to much older cars. We see this all the time on the airbag recalls. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve