It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how to test turbo ?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good morning to all !
Can any of you point me to a thread explaining how to test probable turbo related symptoms?

CRD 2006 121000 km
Symptoms include sudden loss of power while accelerating out of a highway exit, ‘’wooshing’’ sound from engine bay and black smoke out the tail pipe.

I took off the air intake from the airbox, no oil or residue. Found small traces of fresh oil at the turbo air entry. Verified the top hose, no cracks and took it off the turbo. Oil is apparent in the turbo and in the hose itself.

Undid the hose from air to air, oil present. Undid the hose coming out of air to air... oil present...

I’ve taken the turbo out and opened what I could. No damage is visible to the wheels but oil is present in that area. When grabbing the two wheels, there is some side play at the front wheel.

Is replacing just the core a viable solution or in this groups experience, changing the unit an absolute must ?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: how to test turbo ?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:22 pm 
LOST Member

Sounds like a blown hose or cracked intercooler to me as opposed to a turbo if there is no physical vane damage or everything spins freely. I'd be rechecking BOTH hoses plus the cooler.

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

will do.

From the picture, can it be oil passing thru to the hose and intercooler ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

look like turbo shaft bearing worn out , pumping oil into intercooler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:44 am 
LOST Newbie

if so, changing the core might be sufficaint ? Or a new turbo is mandatory ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Slow down you have dug into this way too far by pulling and disassembling the turbo before checking the obvious simpler cheaper things first. So:
1. under normal operation (same as with any "car" since the late 1960's with a crankcase vent system) enters the intake stream via the CCV valve (hockey puck like thing on top of the engine). In the case of the CRD the CCV hose dumps right in front of the turbo intake hence oil is expected to be seen beginning at where the airbox hose connects to the turbo > the turbo > the 1s CAC hose > the intercooler > the 2 CAC hose > on thru the FCV valve into the intake. Absolutely not surprise.
2. the OEM airbox to turbo hose is prone to rot on the bottom just in front of the turbo intake and both OEM CAC hoses are prone to either rot and split or rot and get so porous that then just leak boost. If either CAC hose is OEM and soggy with oil like a sponge they are shot. A "wooshing" sound from engine bay and black smoke out the tail pipe from time to time combined with a temporary loose of power is a classic sign of no turbo boost almost always caused by bad CAC hose(s).
3. if the turbo impeller has only slight fore/aft play and barely perceptible side to side play it's probably ok. If more the only solution is a new turbo.
4. could also be loose connections between the FCV and intake, bad vacuum to the turbo vane actuator, etc.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok. I will recheck the hoses for damage. And I understand better the possuble oil presence.

On the other hand, oil presence has seen on this picture... normal ? not normal ? explainable ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

yes lots of oil there , but go with papas suggestion go back to basics , don't buy turbo yet . try venting blow by gasses outside put it tougher , possibly you overfilled engine with oil? too much oil will blow over into turbo intake , possibly turbo has some end play , but if not too loose should hold oil inside ,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Oil in pic does not "appear" abnormal.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:45 am 

One other possibility that no one mentioned is a cracked CAC (intercooler). They are known for cracking on the ends of the plastic end caps or tanks as some call them. If a large enough crack develops, you will loose boost from the turbo and experience some of the same symptoms as with a leaking boost hose, i.e. swooshing sound, air leaking or escaping along with lots of black smoke on acceleration with poor boost... :roll:
But I agree with Pap, bet you find you :wink: got a leaking boost hose....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

I will check/repair or replace all of the suggestions mentinned by you guys ! Thank a lot.
Add if any more ideas pop up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:57 pm 
LOST Member

Oil in turbo can only come from two places as it is upstream of most of the suggestions. It is either coming from the turbo bearing or from the CCV hose which dumps back into the airbox hose. Check the airbox hose for oil. If is oily, clean it out and run an EHM for a week. Check the turbo and see if it has the same amount of oil on the impeller. If it does than most likely the turbo is bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

joelukex4 wrote:
... EHM ...

I'm sorry Joelukex4, I'm in the medical field an EEG, ECG, MRI are ok to me but WTheck is an EHM ? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Go back up to #1 in my post. EHM (elephant hose mode) is to simply run a hose from the CCV down to like the frame rail and plug the hole where the CCV hose connects to the air box to turbo hose. Bad idea 1) vents nasty gasses and oil to atmosphere and/or pavement; 2) objectionable smell and smoke; and 3) if the hose gets plugged or freezes in winter you can blow a rear main seal which is time consuming and expensive to replace.

Better idea 1) get GDE tune to minimize EGR function and other good things or if that costs too much for you there are other free tunes that to an EGR delete and 2) get idParts or Samco silicone CAC hoses that won't rot. Some like the Provent to catch the oil but it costs about as much as the idParts hoses and a free tune.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:57 am 
LOST Member

The purpose of running the EHM for a week was to take the CCV out of play. Then if you still have significant oil on the turbo intake you could attribute it to the turbo bearing. I don't suggest running an EHM long term. I don't use it and I also have a GDE tune to minimize EGR.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank Masters !
I have my worklist all written up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Soooo...

Ok turbo is still leaking oil to the hose but not enough to change it. I may consider changing the core but at a later time.

The hoses were not broken but I replaced them has per sugestions from you guys. Also changed the manifold/turbo gasket.

Everything seems ok but a leak has me swearing. The turbo oil feed line ih leaking at the engine point of attachement.

Is there suposed to be a gasket/oring between the engine and the part or can it simply be metal to metal ??Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:52 pm 
LOST Addict

That fitting probably had a copper crush wash to help it seal.
You coud probably use blue locktite to seal it in there.