It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cam spanner?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:51 am 
LOST Newbie

So I've got the first timing belt and water pump change coming up, and I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole cam pulley tool situation. Looking at the pulley it seems like a spanner type tool would work to hold the pulley, similar to the TDI Sprocket Buster. Can someone who has done this and has physically laid hands on the sprocket weigh in, would making a spanner with 3 pins that would engage the holes in the pulley work as a holder or is the metal to chincy? With a sprocket as a patter it would be a piece of cake to have the spanner cut out of sheet metal and then add 3 hardened pins. I'd be game to design it and get it manufactured.

Anyone got a spare pulley to loan or sell?

Post subject: Re: cam spanner?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:30 am 
LOST Addict

The TDI sprocket buster works well, as does the Miller tool that has those 3 pins you mentioned. The sprockets are plenty strong, and a two prong spanner works also. Just make the pins big and that will spread the forces around better if you're worried about it. Holding the torque wrench and the sprocket buster in yours hands at the same distance from the sprocket makes it easy to not damage the cam pins. I just did one where the threads in the valve cover were trashed, but I was still able to keep from pulling the pin out without any trouble. Works great...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:02 pm 
LOST Member

I used the fan pulley removal tool with couple of long bolts as pins to torque the cam gear bolts. Worked like charm, just hold the torque wrench and the counter hold close together.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Fan-Clutch-Pulley-Holding-Tool/_/R-BK_7769139_0361131964

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Unlike many others here, I'm a strict fan of the VM.1085.

I could see you using the double clip-type that Sasquatch rents, begrudgingly if I had no other choices.

You can unscrew a Phillips head screw with a fork, or a pocket knife sometimes, but it's not the right tool for the job either.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hexus wrote:
Unlike many others here, I'm a strict fan of the VM.1085.

I could see you using the double clip-type that Sasquatch rents, begrudgingly if I had no other choices.

You can unscrew a Phillips head screw with a fork, or a pocket knife sometimes, but it's not the right tool for the job either.

+1 on the 1085 :2cents:
YMMV
Do not taunt happy fun ball.
Overhead objects may shift during flight.

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel