It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel leak
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Today I was filling the CRD and when I was done I heard the sound of liquid running, the filler spout went empty and there was a small amount of fuel that leaked from the left rear corner of the tank. In the pic on #4 there is the small nipple that faces the back of the vehicle, that is where the fuel appeared to leak, it looks like some sort of a vent?

Post subject: Re: Fuel leak
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

#4 is a check valve and #5 is the fuel vent hose per the 05 FSM. It's very possible that a seal or hose back there has gone bad. To fix you will have to drop the tank or you can live with it by being careful not to overfill the tank. If you like to fill the tank until you have fuel in the filler then stop doing so. These tanks don't foam like my old Dodge D250s did so when filling the CRD you can just stop when the pump handle clicks off at which point the tank is full enough.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:57 am 
LOST Addict

Yup, my tank leaks too when I overfill it.

I disagree about the tank not foaming when you fill.
Although it's probably not the tank itself causing the foaming but the pump used to fill it with.
At some pumps I can fill a 5 gallon plastic fuel can with diesel and get 3 gallons of liquid and rest of the space filled with foam.
Filling at a slower rate produces less foam but can be hard to do with some pumps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks guys, I was filling it on an incline with the front of the vehicle facing up hill. I will try it the other way next time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:55 pm 
LOST Member

Mine leaks in the same spot. It annoys the hell out of me. Can the vent piece be purchased separately and fixed?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Maybe some fuel got in their with some dust and created a valve that is stuck open?