It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lots of Black Smoke - poor fuel economy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Long time lurker, first time poster -

I have a 05 CRD Sport I bought new. 140k miles. Performed EHM about 3 years ago - SAMCO Turbo Hoses after a hose failure several years ago.
Air filter recently cleaned and reoiled per K&N Specs.

Starting out and accelerating causes LARGE clouds of black smoke. There is a feeling of restriction in the engine until it blasts out the smoke, then
engine accelerates relatively normally to highway speeds. Acceleration from stop is fairly poor. Fuel economy is in the low 20's.

I just pulled off the turbo intake and the impeller shaft is solid and the blades spin very smoothly with no play noticed.

What next?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Lots of Black Smoke - poor fuel economy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Timing belt job been done I hope.

Check variable vane actuator rod for movement (per GDE - you can check the vane functionality at idle in park. Underneath the vacuum actuator on the turbo is rod extending downward connected to the vane mechanism. If you pull off the vacuum line at the turbo, the arm should drop about 1/2 inch and then raise back up after reconnecting the vacuum line. It is a bit difficult to see the rod, but this is the easiest method to check for proper VGT vane movement.). Check vacuum reservoir solenoid see bypass check at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70602&p=757348&hilit=boost+solenoid#p757348 . Is MAP sensor clean? Check for loose Samco hose clamps.

IMHO ditch K&N filter is favor of good paper one that filters better and breaths fine.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Last edited by papaindigo on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Timing belt/waterpump work has been done.

Is that a threaded rod coming out of the bottom of the vacuum actuator?
I put my fingers lightly on it while disconnecting the vacuum hose from the
top of the acutator and could discern no movement while the jeep was
idling.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Checked the vacuum reservoir solenoid according to the instructions and it seemed to help. After things cool off a bit, I will check to see if
the vacuum actuator rod moves.

Appreciate your help!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Checked for movement of the vacuum rod since switching the vacuum hoses per the test. No movement of the rod. Is the rod a gold colored, threaded rod?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Don't know about color but it is threaded. Go to http://www.idparts.com/garrett-turbocha ... -2823.html and click on the picture to enlarge it. The rod in question is the one coming out of the actuator housing with the green sticker.

If it's not moving then it sounds like your turbo vanes are stuck or sticking. You can try an "Italian" tuneup - engine at operating temp do a few full throttle acceleration runs up a modest slope which will produce large clouds of smoke but may free up the vanes. If not ask for forum input on other vane cleaning methods.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:03 am 
LOST Newbie

After doing some research about turbos last night and this morning, I agree that my vanes must be stuck in the open position. I tried
the Italian tune up yesterday but I will try it again with a warmer engine and on a grade to see if that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:28 am 

With a cool engine, disconnect the vacuum line to the turbo actuator and spray the actuator rod and linkage with some good quality penetrating oil like PB Blaster and then move the actuator rod / vanes up and down and try and free them up. Some on this forum have had success freeing up sticking linkage using this method. :idea:
Good luck, and keep up posted as to the outcome... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the inuput - I'll give it a try and see how it works.

http://www.oilem.com/turbo-cleaning-and-turbo-cleaners/

Found this article out of the UK and thought it was interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Comments:
1. the CRD turbo does not have a waste gate for whatever that's worth.
2. quality oil and timely oil and oil filter changes are good for a host of things.
3. not sure how much the EHM helps (be careful of this mod depending on where you live as if the end freezes shut excess pressure builds in the crank case and has been known to blow rear main seal which requires dropping tranny to replace). I've said it before but venting crankcase pressure to the intake has been accepted internal combustion engine practice since the late 1960s. If I had to guess I'd say it's the use of an EGR to recycle exhaust gas to the intake that's the real cause of the underlying "soot" problem.
4. consider a) adding one of the free ECU tunes that deletes the EGR or b) my preference, dump the EHM and get a GDE tune
5. driving suggestions in article would help.

I have "heard" of using oven cleaner to get the "soot" off the vanes but am not sure how it's applied.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'd love to get a GDE tune and turbo but I'm running on a very slim budget. I have been going through all the options trying to find the real cause so
if I have to spend money, it is spent on exactly what is wrong, not a big part replacement scheme until it works. The vacuum rod does not budge after
applying penetrating oil - not a bit of movement - so I conclude that the vanes are hard stuck in place. I have been researching the oven cleaner option
and have found some information in a TDI forum. I'm debating taking the turbo out an cleaning it myself or talking to my local wrench who is pretty straight
and reasonable and seeing what he would charge to get it up and running again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:47 pm 
LOST Member

BadgerCRD Where are you from? Wisconsin?

I like the information on the turbo cleaners, unfortunately it seems they are only available in Europe.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:11 am 
LOST Newbie

East Central Wisconsin. These engines are a lot more common in the UK and Europe and it
looks like there is a lot more information and accessories available there. Going to have a
conversation with my Wrench today and see what he has to allow about cleaning up that turbo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

BadgerCRD wrote:
I'd love to get a GDE tune and turbo but I'm running on a very slim budget. I have been going through all the options trying to find the real cause so
if I have to spend money, it is spent on exactly what is wrong, not a big part replacement scheme until it works. The vacuum rod does not budge after
applying penetrating oil - not a bit of movement - so I conclude that the vanes are hard stuck in place. I have been researching the oven cleaner option
and have found some information in a TDI forum. I'm debating taking the turbo out an cleaning it myself or talking to my local wrench who is pretty straight
and reasonable and seeing what he would charge to get it up and running again.

The GDE Engine Tune will pay for itself in about 15,000 - 20,000 miles, based on mileage improvement alone. Add to that the preventative maintenance of the product (not having soot all over your intake), that makes is very good buy. Another option would be to install the Stage 1 Weeks Kit, which accomplishes the same thing. It is about half the price of the GDE Ecotune. The sooner you start, the sooner you save.

SunCoast Torque Converter
HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Weeks Stage 1
Mann Provent 200
Fumoto Oil Valve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Finally got my jeep in to be looked at. They pulled out the turbo and said it was the cleanest turbo they had ever popped open. Everything ran true and was not blocked. Then they started going back through the vacuum system and replaced a solenoid - P/N 52109543AA Just like magic, I have my old jeep back. Just ran it 350 miles yesterday, fuel economy is up about 20% and I have power again and no black smoke. Way less than a new turbo.

In looking at an Eco-tune - does not having a viscous heater affect the program? Mine snapped off(!!) a couple of years ago and the wrench went to a shorter serpentine and everything works great.
I thought I saw a reference to how the viscous heater runs in relation to the program and don't know if not having that signal is going to cause problems.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:02 pm 
LOST Addict

I have no idea whether or not that would change the suitability of the GDE tune but I have both eco and hot tunes on two different crds and a third with the mass air flow sensor unplugged to keep EGR closed . I do know that GDE could answer your question and they will return your call fairly promptly if you leave a message . I have called them twice over 3 years nd thy answered my questions. I am saving to get the turbo replacement on the third one.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:31 am 
LOST Addict

No VH makes no difference with the GDE tune. That's how I have mine (gone) with the GDE tune for years.
If you do the GDE tune then I'd ask Keith about the 5v glow plug flash unless the newer version 7V's are holding up much better than the earlier steel ones. I think the 5v is better for cold starts also, but someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong. I know mine have held up for years anyhow.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:50 am 
LOST Newbie

So what is good fuel economy on these CRD's? Had mine for a month now, it has 200,000km on it and saw I'm averaging 14ltr/100km with all city short trips ans when I took it on the highway for about 30-45min it dropped to 9ltr/100km average. I haven't done the Eco Tune yet but wondering if my mileage is terrible due to other issues I'm unaware of.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:34 am 
LOST Member

9l/100km is about 30 MPG, which is pretty good for these vehicles. The best I ever got was around 8.6l/100km, and that is with the GDE tune. Of course, there are way too many variables that affect fuel economy (e.g., the fuel itself, terrain, tires, temperature, etc.) but even so, it seems like your fuel consumption is on par of what most on the forum are seeing. It does not suggest any issues at all.

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:40 am 
LOST Member

BadgerCRD wrote:
Then they started going back through the vacuum system and replaced a solenoid - P/N 52109543AA Just like magic, I have my old jeep back.

Papaindigo nails it again!

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.