It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Provent
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:40 pm 
LOST Member

Provent?? After reading a much about adding a Provent to the crank case breather system on theses I have come to the conclusion they are basically a waste of money. I have had mine fitted now for over 6 months and I can say that it has not collected any oil from the crankcase breather. Maybe if you overfill the oil level, oil can escape from the cvv or if the engine is worn(more blow by). If your getting oil into the turbo hoses'/intercooler check your turbo?

Post subject: Re: Provent
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Lucky you I guess.
That is if no oil has been escaping the CCV and coating the inside of your CAC hoses and intercooler.
But even if oil is escaping the CCV, a Provent is not a necessity. Deleting the EGR valve is a necessity.

I made my own Provent like thingy and it trapped oil from the CCV. But I couldn't seal it up well enough to prevent it from leaking. So I don't use it anymore.

I find that more oil comes out of the CCV in the hot summer months than the cold winter months. The oil that comes out of there is more like a vapor. If it's cool enough for the oil vapor to condense inside the CCV then the oil will just drip back down into the engine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CCV is part of the emissions controls

emissions requirements are different Colonies vs Crown

you could easily have a less aggressive vent system

my Provent easily collects about an Oz of liquid per 1000 miles (some water, some oil)

I'd only use it it it's doing something, no point if it stays dry.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:19 pm 
LOST Member

ATXKJ wrote:
My Provent easily collects about an Oz of liquid per 1000 miles (some water, some oil)

Same here. I change my oil every 6k and check the Provent drain hose every 3k. I drain 3-4 ounces of oil every time I check it. I have a small ball valve at the end of the hose making it easy to drain.

I used this valve, but I cut off the male threads. I have a brass 3/8" NPT male x 1/2" hose barb clamped in the reinforced transparent hose.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJE ... ge_o07_s00

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:57 pm 

I drain about 2 oz. of oil water mix about once a month... :wink:
I certainly do not think it is a waste of money keeping oil out of the turbo and boost system...
It is certainly a good product that should have been installed on the Jeep CRD from the factory... :roll:
Lucky you if you do not get anything out of yours... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:50 am 
LOST Addict

mine is full every oil change. some oil some water that has condensed out of the vapor. had mine since 45,000 miles. I'd say it keeps a good amount of the oil out of the intake but not fully 100% of it. My boost hoses still have a slight coating inside but are no longer soaked with oil like when I first got the Jeep.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:22 pm 
LOST Member

ATXKJ wrote:
CCV is part of the emissions controls

emissions requirements are different Colonies vs Crown

you could easily have a less aggressive vent system

my Provent easily collects about an Oz of liquid per 1000 miles (some water, some oil)

I don't know of any differences on the CCV system between USA version and export. Maybe I was expecting to see a fair amount of oil? The filter element in the bottle gets wet but that's about it. Cant see the reason in stopping that small amount of oil getting in, and helping lubricating the valve stems? But only if you have deleted the EGR.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:33 pm 
LOST Addict

I always put oil about 1/4 inch under max on dipstick and till oil reaches my 1/2 dipstick mark, I drop oil through provent. Those dipsticks are known to be inaccurate. So I guess my engine likes the 1/2 mark on the dipstick.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just put one on yesterday. I'm excited to see how it does. I will post future results.

'02 Bug TDI engine donor
'01 Yamaha Superjet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Those of you who have a Provent installed...how about posting some pics of how it's mounted?

Current: 2006 Liberty CRD Sport (SunCoast TC, GDE EcoTune, SAMCO hoses, Fumoto oil drain valve), 1998 Wrangler Sport (2.4L, 2" lift, winch)
Previous: '43 Willys, '75 CJ-5, '82 Wagoneer Limited, '94 Wrangler Renegade, '96 Cherokee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:19 pm 
LOST Member

Disclaimer: I don't know if drilling a hole in the crank case is good idea or not so don't blame me! Having said that, turbo oil drain is almost at the same height as the hole I drilled so I think it should be OK.

I followed directions from http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/provent/ and installed provent. I made couple of changes.
1. I fabricated two piece mounting bracket from the scrap metal I had on hand. I decided to use ECU bolts and one bolt from the original guide.
2. I decided to drill one of the free boss from old EGR cooler and tap it to 1/8" NPT. You can use 11/32" (better) or R size (best) drill bit to drill the hole for 1/8" NPT tap. I routed the oil drain from provent back into crank case using 1/8" NPT hole. Pictures does not show but I used 45 degree adapter (1/8" NPT to 3/8" barb) on the crank case.

By the way, the EGR cooler boss shown almost touches the end of the piston! I did not want to drill through/close to the piston so I did some measurements before I drilled the boss. I measured 150 mm from top of the block to the boss. FSM shows that stock length is 100 mm. FSM does not show the height of the piston so I figured the piston can't be longer than 50 mm. I was right on the money! You can acutely "feel" the edge of the piston if you wiggle ear swab in the drilled hole.

Slideshow at: http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/jigar_patel2/slideshow/Provent
Note: Picture titles have instructions.

If you don't have a free boss on the intake side of the engine then there are couple of free bosses on the exhaust side also. If you use exhaust side boss then you may have to find a longer route for the oil drain pipe and/or relocate provent next to the coolant reservoir. It will be too hot near exhaust side so I decided to use the intake side.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I do not know for sure and it depends. The purpose of the CCV, old days called a PCV, is to vent excess pressure and oil (from blowby) from the crankcase back into the intake stream. Prior to introduction of the PCV that stuff was simply vented to atmosphere (lots of polllution in the air and oil dripped on the road); essentially the EHM. A properly installed Provent is simply a vented (pressure can escape) that filters out the oil so it can be drained.

If you are plumbing back to the crankcase you need to be sure that the vented pressure can escape before getting back to the crankcase otherwise you are likely to blow a rear main seal which is what happens if the EHM hose freezes shut in winter.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:14 pm 
LOST Member

pjigar wrote:
Disclaimer: I don't know if drilling a hole in the crank case is good idea or not so don't blame me! Having said that, turbo oil drain is almost at the same height as the hole I drilled so I think it should be OK.

I followed directions from http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/provent/ and installed provent. I made couple of changes.
1. I fabricated two piece mounting bracket from the scrap metal I had on hand. I decided to use ECU bolts and one bolt from the original guide.
2. I decided to drill one of the free boss from old EGR cooler and tap it to 1/8" NPT. You can use 11/32" (better) or R size (best) drill bit to drill the hole for 1/8" NPT tap. I routed the oil drain from provent back into crank case using 1/8" NPT hole. Pictures does not show but I used 45 degree adapter (1/8" NPT to 3/8" barb) on the crank case.

By the way, the EGR cooler boss shown almost touches the end of the piston! I did not want to drill through/close to the piston so I did some measurements before I drilled the boss. I measured 150 mm from top of the block to the boss. FSM shows that stock length is 100 mm. FSM does not show the height of the piston so I figured the piston can't be longer than 50 mm. I was right on the money! You can acutely "feel" the edge of the piston if you wiggle ear swab in the drilled hole.

Did you install the check valve on the oil return pipe? if you plumb it below the sump oil level you do not need the valve but above oil level you do?

pulled this from installation instructions
Oil return
The respective port of the oil return (see diagram on page 15) is connected to the oil sump via a drainage pipe. There are two principal connection possibilities:
1. Below the oil level
The oil return is connected via a drainage pipe below the minimum permissible oil level of the engine oil sump. According to the principle of connected pipes, the same oil level is present in the oil sump and the drainage pipe. This oil receiver acts like a siphon so that when the oil is sucked from the outlet port the blow-by is directed via the oil separator. The negative pressure in the oil return pipe during operation is the same as the negative pressure at the oil separator. As opposed to conventional solutions, this intake negative pressure is reduced due to design considerations so
that the height of the oil column in the drainage pipe during operation is accordingly low. As a result the drainage pipe need only take into account a respectively low oil column and this enables numerous installation possibilities.
2. Above the oil level
This connection variation requires fitting of a check valve which is available as an option. The valve is fitted in the drainage pipe as close to the engine as possible. Separated oil collects above the check valve during operation. The check valve is
closed during operation by the negative suction pressure present in the housing of the ProVent. When the weight of the oil column is above the closing pressure of the valve, for example when the engine has been switched off, the separated oil flows back to the oil sump

Slideshow at: http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/jigar_patel2/slideshow/Provent
Note: Picture titles have instructions.

Did you install the check valve on the oil return pipe? if you plumb it below the sump oil level you do not need the valve but above oil level you do?

pulled this from installation instructions
Oil return
The respective port of the oil return (see diagram on page 15) is connected to the oil sump via a drainage pipe. There are two principal connection possibilities:
1. Below the oil level
The oil return is connected via a drainage pipe below the minimum permissible oil level of the engine oil sump. According to the principle of connected pipes, the same oil level is present in the oil sump and the drainage pipe. This oil receiver acts like a siphon so that when the oil is sucked from the outlet port the blow-by is directed via the oil separator. The negative pressure in the oil return pipe during operation is the same as the negative pressure at the oil separator. As opposed to conventional solutions, this intake negative pressure is reduced due to design considerations so
that the height of the oil column in the drainage pipe during operation is accordingly low. As a result the drainage pipe need only take into account a respectively low oil column and this enables numerous installation possibilities.
2. Above the oil level
This connection variation requires fitting of a check valve which is available as an option. The valve is fitted in the drainage pipe as close to the engine as possible. Separated oil collects above the check valve during operation. The check valve is
closed during operation by the negative suction pressure present in the housing of the ProVent. When the weight of the oil column is above the closing pressure of the valve, for example when the engine has been switched off, the separated oil flows back to the oil sump

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:21 pm 
LOST Member

lacabrera wrote:

I do not have check valve installed yet. For now I have plugged the crankcase hole and hooked a plastic bottle (with some holes at the top) on the oil return line. Thanks for the heads up.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:30 am 
LOST Junkie

do not venting the oil vapor , read this

http://oilcatchcan.com/

I do not have the provent but here in Italy all KJ soak with black oil vapor the entry CAC sistem , when the hot vapor meet the cold ar coming after the filter the vapor condense in a oli mix with humidity and stop , they do not serve to lubricate anything ......BTW if you remove the EGR fume , they can help to dissolve the pre-existent coat mix , cleaning your intake ,

if you do the EHM mode , your fuel burn is more clean and do not have unmetered vapor , btw your cranck case can be dry of oil where needed , the pcv system is the same in the kj , here , in USA , in Europe , Asia etcc

https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning