It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Engine SHUT DOWN - ASD feed fuse blown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:25 am 

You are most correct! You will find that relay control circuits are fused on different circuits than the actual load circuits. :wink:

Example, on the CRD the AC compressor clutch itself is supplied power through fuse 21 (8W-10-25) in the Power Distribution Center supplied by the battery (8W-10-10) while the control side of the circuit to the AC compressor clutch relay is supplied power from fuse 16 (8W-10-19) which gets its power from fuse 6 coming through the Auto Shut Down Relay. (8W-10-19)
If he is blowing fuse 16 as soon as the ignition switch is turned to the on position, these are the circuits it supplies power to:
1. AC compressor clutch RELAY
2. Low speed radiator fan RELAY
3. High speed radiator fan RELAY
4. Cabin heater RELAY
5. Front Control MODULE
6. Engine Control MODULE
7. EGR solenoid
8. EGR air flow control
9. Vacuum Reservoir solenoid
10. Boost pressure solenoid
11. Glow plug MODULE

If you unplug all of these items listed above and it still blows fuse 16 when the ignition switch is turned on, then you have a wiring harness short where a wire is either touching a ground somewhere or has rubbed into another wire in the harness that is a ground wire.... :roll:

Good luck!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Regardless of whether my "logic" is or is not correct, always suspect on modern engine electric circuits, my underlying point is the fuse that is stated to be blowing is the ASD Feed F-16 fuse. Why it's blowing I have no clue except the obvious that amps going thru that circuit are too high for the fuse. A DYI approach is to one at a time unplug the "things" that power goes too from that fuse and see if the fuse (rather "expensive" in used up fuses) continues to blow; yep unplugging everything might be a good start in that if fuse doesn't blow start putting things back one at a time.

I wonder if popping the fuse and slapping a volt/ohm meter on it and then switching on the ignition would provide any useful info or just blow the meter.

My original advise remains the same. Get it to a decent auto electric shop. Last time I had electrical weirdness it was short in the passenger seat airbag sensor that the auto electric shop found in minutes after my mechanic sent me to that shop (FYI same place the local DCJ dealer sends weird electric problems)

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:46 am 
LOST Junkie

Removing the fuse and replacing it with the Multimeter in series set to DC Amps would blow the fuse inside the meter as it can normally only handle up to 10 Amps before blowing its own fuse.

You can get special DC clamp-on Ammeters but you would have to replace fuse 16 with a higher rating as well...a slightly higher rating is acceptable but too high could burn out the wiring!
This would not really achieve much....I think we are all agreed that it is best to disconnect/pull out all the components listed above to see if any one is blowing the fuse.

If this does not work then where the output from fuse 16 fans out on its various splices...the actual wires on the fanned-out sections themselves have to be cut one at a time so as to see which spliced section has the problem on it but I am sure the Auto Electrician is well aware of that!

I have been there, done that...still waiting for my T Shirt :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Sad thing is, nobody has had time to look at the Jeep. Everybody has lots of things to do. That must be done. Sometime the Jeep will reach the top of the list.

Right now we are still mobile. After being down for a long time - and not doing so great now, I have a lot to do and less time to do it in. Can't afford to farm everything out. Have to do what i can. I have the Jeep at a place I trust, He has been extremely busy. I am not in the emergency situation that some of the other customers are so the Jeep gets put off. It's only been 4 days.

The other trusted mechanic in the area would also be a several day wait.

I will report back ASAP.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Don't feel too bad, I left my CRD with a guy to pull the block and then brought him the replacement... He has had the thing cluttering up his shop for probably around 8 months total. I'm extremely grateful about that, b/c I lacked the place to work on it or store it for that time, and I was having some upheaval in living situation during that time.

As long as he isn't upset about the shop ornament and you don't need the thing back and running right away - they will get to it eventually. You never know when they will get stuck waiting for parts or just pissed at another vehicle and decide to mess with yours to clear their head.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

mY jEEP IS FIXED. tHE SHORT WAS BY THE aLTERNATOR

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:59 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
jrsavoie wrote:

Great news about the Jeep!

Now about that broken caps lock.... :jester: :goink:

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:42 am 

jrsavoie wrote:

Very glad it turned out to be something simple. Figured it was a wiring issue... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

geordi wrote:
jrsavoie wrote:

Great news about the Jeep!

Now about that broken caps lock.... :jester: :goink:

Dang that caps lock, small keyboards and fat fingers. I am constantly hitting that dang thing. Most of the time I retype. But sometimes I just don't have time. And to think I typed 17 words a minute in high school _ No mistakes!!!

Good thing one of the gals in the class would type a bunch of copies when we had a speed drill and hand them out to the 5 guys in the class. We were all fat fingered farm kids taking the class for a credit. Teacher was a coach.

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td