It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: indicator failure
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:37 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

I have a 2005 Cherokee 2.8 CRD , yesterday I hitched up to my friends trailer and connected the lights. After I had finished and removed the trailer I found the LH rear indicator was on not flashing, with all switched off it remained on I removed the fuse still on, I removed the larger relay and it went out when I replaced it remained off. Now both the rear indicators do not work, the front and side are ok,

any ideas?

Post subject: Re: indicator failure
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:43 pm 
LOST Member

check fuses. sounds like a stuck relay. maybe check relays behind the right rear interior plastic that are for the towing wiring harness. I had a battery drain problem due to the trailer wire hot lead relay sticking.

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

do you mean behind the interior plastic wheel arch covers?

I did take out a large black plug under the hood in the fuse box that was marked indicators that looked like it was a flasher relay, but why are the front lights working but fast,

thanks for your help

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:04 am 
LOST Newbie

Strange the RH indicator is now working but the LH is not, I have changed the bulbs around but still not working, :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:22 pm 
LOST Member

I believe so. If you are standing at the rear of vehicle facing the front with hatch open, remove the plastic on your right. There should be line of relays that are all wrapped up in the trailer wiring harness. Hope this helps.

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:45 am 
LOST Junkie

joohn wrote:
Strange the RH indicator is now working but the LH is not, I have changed the bulbs around but still not working, :banghead:

So are the front and side indicators working OK, the rear Left working OK but not the rear Right?

When the Hazard switch is pressed do all flashers work?

You need to put a voltmeter onto the bulb holder contact for the failing position and measure for flashing +12 volts with reference to the negative contact and also with reference to a clean chassis in case that bulb holder's ground has gone missing.

Check that the contacts inside the bulb holders have not overheated and melted themselves into the surrounding plastic!

If you have the Factory tow package fitted...with relays.. you should be able to remove all of its relays....all flashers, brake, reverse , tail licence plate lights should then work....putting the relays back one by one may show up a bad relay or a short. in that circuit. :?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:58 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for your help,

All the bulbs work on emergency flasher and flash when I lock the doors but the rear LF bulb will not work when you select turn left the front and side bulbs flash but not the rear.

I have removed the two relays no difference, I checked the voltage on the lamp holder it was 8.76volt but may be nill when a load is put on it by the bulb.

I am thinking that the main flasher relay may be faulty but it is strange that the front and side work? are the rear wired up different from the front?

I have swapped the bulb holders around but no improvement.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:08 am 
LOST Junkie

joohn wrote:
Thanks for your help,

All the bulbs work on emergency flasher and flash when I lock the doors but the rear LF bulb will not work when you select turn left the front and side bulbs flash but not the rear.

I have removed the two relays no difference, I checked the voltage on the lamp holder it was 8.76volt but may be nill when a load is put on it by the bulb.

I am thinking that the main flasher relay may be faulty but it is strange that the front and side work? are the rear wired up different from the front?

I have swapped the bulb holders around but no improvement.

OK so you are saying only the left rear is the only flasher bulb not flashing.
if this is the case you need to put a voltmeter onto the lead for that bulb and check for flashing +12 volts at that point with reference to its ground connection and also check for +12 volts there with reference to chassis ground.

If you do not get flashing +12 volts at the rear bulb contact then you have a break in the feed wire somewhere...if you only measure +12 volts on the bulb there with reference to chassis then the ground has gone missing to that bulb holder...addd a new one!

The main Hazard Switch supplies flashing power to either the left or the right side of the vehicle...depending on which direction the Multi function switch is aiming....this is the only so called "flasher relay" :?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:13 am 
LOST Newbie

The rear LH turn light will not flash when I select LH turn, when I lock the jeep the LH rear bulb flashes like the rest, when I put on the hazard warning lights the LH rear bulb flashes like the rest.

I an going out soon to check the earth, but the bulb lights normally for hazard warning and when I lock up with the key, it must be something else driving me mad!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:15 am 
LOST Junkie

Download the 2005 KJ Service Manual here...includes circuit diagrams.

I am assuming that you have an Export model seeing as you call it a "Cherokee"....some slight changes in the wiring diagrams! If a USA model then check fuse 7 and 9 in the Junction Block...(internal fuse panel) and swap out relay "Park Relay"...top center small relay amongst group of 9 relays on rear of Junction Block.

You will see that the multi function switch tells the the Hazard Switch that the indicator lights must either flash on the left or on the right or do nothing at all. So effectively all the indicator/marker Lights on the LHS are in parallel and the same with the RHS...if any one of these bulbs is blown then the Hazard switch picks up the lower current draw and flashes faster to alert you to the fact that one of the bulbs is not flashing.
The fact that all the lamps flash when you switch on the hazards shows that the basic lamps are OK as is the wiring to them.

If you are saying that the complete LH side does not work...other than with the Hazard Switch...then definitely the Multi function Switch is faulty or the wiring going from it to the Hazard switch is faulty.

You will see on page 8W-52-2 of the wiring diagram that a Light Blue/White wire goes from the multi function switch Pin 10 and goes to the Hazard switch pin 9. When you move the multi function switch to the right to make a right turn you switch ground along this line from ground point G202.

The left side works the same, ground is switched to the Hazard Switch pin 5 using a White/Light Blue wire from the multi function switch pin 6. So if this is the case that the LH side indicators are not working, leave the multi function switch indicator stalk in its central position and ground the White/Light Blue wire... ie. a White wire with a Light Blue stripe...to a clean chassis point somewhere. The left flashers should work.
The best way to do this is to carefully piece the wire with a pin or needle so that it pieces the insulation and goes through the copper wire inside...do this near to to the Hazard switch side....now touch this pin with a short section of lead onto a clean chassis point.

If this works then you either have a break in this wire somewhere or the multi function switch is faulty. :?

If you are saying that only the Left Rear indicator does not flash when turning...and the Front Left does flash OK...then it has to be a grounding fault at the left rear socket or the Tow Package has to be removed completely.

Here are the Manual:http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:39 am 
LOST Newbie

With your input I think we are getting somewhere, when I pulled my friends trailer I connected the trailer lights both the trailer LH flasher light and the jeeps rear LH flasher lamp remained on solid not flashing.

I removed the trailer but the rear LH flasher remained on not flashing, the multi function switch was in the centre off position and the ignition was off but the lamp remained on, I removed the fuses till it went out when I replaced the fuses and it stopped off.

Now the front and side LH flashers work but not the rear LH flasher. I think it may be a the tow package that is the problem, I need it as I tow often.

I will download the wiring map and look at it, it seems a strange fault.

Thanks again for your help, it's ongoing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi again,

I spent the morning trying to sort out the LH rear flasher, I took off both clusters and unplugged them I plugged the LH cluster into the RH lead, the flasher worked so there is no wiring fault there.

I think am beginning to understand what is going on, without the tow package the rear flasher works in line with the front and side flashers, but when you connect the tow package the wire to the rear flasher now powers the relay and the output of the relay is connected to the rear flasher and the trailer socket. So I am thinking that this relay is my problem.

I am looking for the LH relay I opened the RH rear panel and found only 2 relays neither had the right colour wires going to them there was also a larger black box there but again the wrong colour wires.

The relays wires =
r1= Blue, Grey and Red with Yellow stipe 3 wires
r2= Two Reds, Pink and a White 4 wires

Larger black box with 9 wires

help

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Solved the problem!!

Thanks for all the help the idea of putting a pin into the wire was a good one, I sharpened the end of my test probe up till it was as thin as possible, I followed the wt/de wire along till I found the relay (5C021) I tested it after pulling the lid of to find one relay was not working.

This relay was glued up inside the panelling out of site, I will try to repair it when I can get it apart.

But for now I have unplugged the tow harness and connected the ends of the original cables together. All working now but the trailer flashers will not work till I fix it.

Again thanks !!