It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broke off the crankshaft locking pin while doing timing belt
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello

well here is what happened. Had a guy help me do the timing belt and water pump. Things went ok until he put too much pressure on crankshaft when he was only supposed to be moving it a tiny bit back and forth to help get timing belt tight and over tensioner. Anyway the locking pin was a quarter inch drill bit exactly like in the 5 part how to YouTube video. It sheared right off. Leaving half of it falling inside.

We stuck an Allen key in there and it went right into the lock position. So the half drill bit has fallen down inside out of the way it seems. We completed the rest of the job and turned it over several times by hand and could not hear or feel anything unusual

Now what should I do?

I am scared to fire it up like this and wondering if I need to tow it to a shop and have the engine split from trans and remove the half drill bit ?

This is such a stupid mistake that I can't even find any other posts about someone doing this

I really appreciate some knowledgable recommendations

Thanks

Ps I will follow up with the outcome of this

Post subject: Re: Broke off the crankshaft locking pin while doing timing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:13 am 
LOST Member

That sucks a lot. The only thing I can think of is to thread in some sort of flexible magnetic pick it tool through the starter hole, or the access plug. I think you'd have better luck through the starter hole though. The access plug is pretty tight. It's 2 wiring connectors and 3 bolts to pull the starter. A bit of a pain ,but not too bad.

I wouldn't run it until the bit was removed.

Mike

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Take home message - drill bits are hard but brittle use 6mm or 1/4" long shaft allen key instead.

It probably fell to the bottom of the transmission bell housing. If so it may likely remain there harmlessly or may not. Others may know for sure. Only way I know to remove it is pulling transmission.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

the starter method should work another way is to epoxy rare earth magnets to bottom of bell housing about 4, get them from inside
old computer hard drives I have done this to my sump pan works well

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Gluing some magnets to the bottom might work, but going in through the starter hole is your best bet.

This is part of the reason why I don't use any crank pin at all. It just isn't needed and things like this can happen. Sorry for the misadventure.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This is why I use the Pin included in my kit from Sealey. After using both, I'm convinced the Sealey set is the better set.

Anyways, yeah, go through the starter.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I took off the starter and it gave me pretty good access but even with different magnets and a lot of time I could not get it. I drilled an inspection hole with a hole saw ang got a rubber gromet to put in it to close it up. Even with direct access on the bottom I could not locate the drill bit.

Finally I fired it up and it ran fine. Took it for a test drive and as i tried some higher Rpms. All of the sudden I heard some knocking noise like something has broken loose then it was gone. I pulled over to check the inspection hole. I found evidence that the drill bit shattered into bits. No damage to anything else. I cleared out the remains and all is well. A successful timing and water pump change (kind of)

A hard lesson learned

Thanks for all the great ideas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hexus wrote:
This is why I use the Pin included in my kit from Sealey. After using both, I'm convinced the Sealey set is the better set.

Anyways, yeah, go through the starter.

Does your crank pin from the Sealy set actually fit? I tried to use mine, but there was interference from the hex head hitting like a rib cast into the block. The Miller part doesn't have a hex head like the Sealy that I remember, but it could have been the Sealy fits if the threads in the hole aren't corroded and the pin fits correctly. I didn't want to risk forcing anything so decided to use the allen key method, which worked fine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There are 2 pins that look like a possible crank pin in the Sealey set, were you using the right one?

Yes, it's one of the best direct-application tools I've ever used. It fits up tight, every time, and does EXACTLY what it's supposed to do. I've used it 11 times now, and 2 others that I know of on this very board have used it with great success.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would have just fired it up without a second thought, little drill vs flywheel and pinion.

Flywheel 1

Little drill 0