It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New round of issues
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:34 am 
LOST Newbie

OK, so after we replaced the cp3 pump, all was well... For about 7500 miles. Now the crd is leaking coolant from the driver side above the starter(no idea where this is coming from).

She will randomly lose power and not go above 3k rpms. Found code p0069, checked map sensor for proper operation. Readings don't change regardless of throttle position. Ordered a new one.

Also leaking oil from turbo area. Checked supply and return lines and both are clean. However where the air intake hooks up to the turbo between it and CAC charge hose is soaked.

So the questions are, what coolant lines are on the driver side of the engine? I know the egr is on that side, but does coolant circulate through it?

And two, why all of a sudden is this thing leaking oil in that spot? I know the ccv hose runs to the air intake, but why would it be waking from a closed system?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: New round of issues
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

EGR has 2 coolant hoses to EGR "radiator" body and 2 hoses from that body to EGR valve body. Likely leak is one or both of the smaller hoses from "radiator" body to EGR valve body or that radiator thing. See pics at viewtopic.php?f=98&t=74594 .

Remove airbox to turbo hose look for crack/hole/tear just in front of turbo intake where CCV drips oil. Replace hose as needed, see idparts for hose.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you! Now what would be the best way to get at those coolant lines to see which is leaking?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:49 am 
LOST Member

There is no easy way to get to the EGR cooler. If you get to it from the top side then intake eblow needs to be removed which involves removing lot of things. You can try to get to EGR cooler from the bottom. If can somehow remove the starter from bottom then working on the small lines on the EGR cooler is possible from bottom. Working on the larger line going up to the head may require you to take the intake elbow off.

About the oil leak. Did you had oil changed recently? If yes then oil was over filled which will be purged out via CCV into intake before the turbo. If the boost hose from air box to turbo is cracked (typically at the turbo end) then you will see oil leaking from turbo. Fill the oil just a hair above the low mark on the oil dip stick. Middle or high mark on oil dip stick is too much oil for this motor. Removing turbo boost hose is very easy. Just two worm drive bands on each end, pull and wiggle.

By the way, turbo boost hose on my CRD was cracked well before 90K miles (before I bought the CRD). The stealership I bought it from said the turbo return oil line was leaking! I told them not to fix the oil return line and instead give me credit which they did. It turned out to be cracked turbo boost hose after all.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:55 am 
LOST Addict

06crdnut wrote:
Thank you! Now what would be the best way to get at those coolant lines to see which is leaking?!

The BEST way is by installing the SasquatchMotorsports stage 1 and 2 EGR delete kits.

But, if you just want to check for leaks, take a flashlight and reach your hand down there to feel for wetness around the coolant lines.
There is also a metal pipe that connects from the intake elbow to the EGR valve. Feel around the bottom of where it connects to the EGR valve.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Oil was changed with 6.1 QTS of rotella 0w40. So that's too much? And the turbo side of CAC hose is not cracked. It seeps a bit but not that much.

I'll have to feel for the coolant leak because it is a daily driver for my wife. So tearing into it isn't an option until Friday while I am off.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:45 am 
LOST Member

06crdnut wrote:
Oil was changed with 6.1 QTS of rotella 0w40. So that's too much? And the turbo side of CAC hose is not cracked. It seeps a bit but not that much.

6.1QT does not sound too much if filter was changed.

Sorry, I was referring to turbo Inlet hose going from air box to turbo. Not the CAC hose going from turbo to intercooler. The oil from CCV is dumped into inlet hose which generally has crack at the turbo connection due to heat and oil.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

Last edited by pjigar on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:46 am 
LOST Addict

06crdnut wrote:

I'll have to feel for the coolant leak because it is a daily driver for my wife. So tearing into it isn't an option until Friday while I am off.

6.1 quarts is not too much.
The hose they are all referring to is the air intake hose between the air filter and turbo. Regardless of how much oil is in the crankcase, small amounts of oil will come out of the vent at the top of the engine. This vented oil mist passes through a hose and accumulates at the bottom of the intake hose, right at the turbo inlet. That accumulation of oil will rot a hole at the bottom of the intake hose and is the most probable cause for the oil leak at the turbo.
It is also the reason why you CAC hoses feel oily.

Rotella 0w40 ???
You must be in europe.
It would be helpful if you would update your profile to indicate your location. There are some slight differences between european and north american models.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:09 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
Rotella 0w40 ???
You must be in europe.

Commonly available up here. I'm pretty sure I can also pick it up at the WalMart in my nearest border town.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:11 pm 
LOST Addict

dirtmover wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
Rotella 0w40 ???
You must be in europe.

Commonly available up here. I'm pretty sure I can also pick it up at the WalMart in my nearest border town.

I didn't know that :oops:
Must only be available in colder climates.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:16 am 
LOST Newbie

I am actually in mid Michigan. No Europe here(I wish) lol.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:27 am 
LOST Newbie

Update: pulled air intake hose and the collar around but he turbo inlet stayed with turbo. 43.67 from the local dealer. Oil problem solved, however I did notice that the oil drain plug has lost its sealing ability, so that is next.

As for the coolant leak, the egr cooler itself is leaking. I plan to delete all of it with the stg 1+2 kits from Sasquatch. However until then, can I just pull the larger hoses and put in a u shaped bypass? Will it hurt anything?

Thanks for the help so far!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes, I think you can run a temporary bypass of the egr cooler untill you complete the egr delete and everything will be ok.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:17 pm 
LOST Member

I would replace the oil drain plug with Fumoto with lots of teflon tape and/or halicoil. Mine had partially stripped thread so I just installed fumot with gray permatex. It is still oozing oil but no drip. I might have to do hell coil the next time.

You need this Fumoto: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VC741C