It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rough start then stall
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:05 am 
LOST Member

Recently the CRD has been starting a little rough. It starts, runs rough (not to the point of knocking, just not smooth as it should, as if not running on all cylinders) for a second or two then stalls. On the second turn it starts, runs a little rough then keeps running ok. It's fine going down the road an idles fine after the second start. Fuel filter is clean, can hear lift pump working, and I have second gen fuel head.

Any thoughts on where to look next would be most appreciated! Thanks.

In action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCq4Xa1lH4

Post subject: Re: Rough start then stall
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 am 
LOST Addict

Any white smoke out the exhaust while its running rough?

Could be bad glow plugs.

Could also be a fuel rail pressure problem.

Any codes?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:02 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for the response flash!

No smoke

I was wondering about glow plugs also. Guess I'll know better when the weather gets cold. I'll look into testing them. I hope it's that simple.

Will also look into testing fuel rail pressure.

No codes.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I know you say the filter is clean, but how old is it and how fresh is the tank of fuel? Could be a wet tankful. Do you have the blue plug on the filter housing?

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:29 pm 
LOST Member

Hey geordi, thanks a lot for the response, sorry for the delay, field season, not much computer time!

The fuel filter has less than 10k on it. If fuel were wet, wouldn't WIF sensor tell me so? It's definitely worked in the past. One thing I do know about my homebrew b.d. is that it's dry. Blue plug on housing YES.

Can I test fuel rail pressure manually? Don't see a schrader valve anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:24 pm 
LOST Addict

To test the 20,000+ psi rail, you need to connect an obd2 reader that can read fuel pressure, torque pro app for Android can read pressure, but you also need a Bluetooth obd2 adapter. Or have a dealer test that, but I wouldn't go to a dealer...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:29 pm 
LOST Member

Sounds like the same problem I had with mine the beginning of last winter I replaced the glow plugs and it ran fine after that it had about 120,000 miles on it when this happened

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:30 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks folks.

thermorex, I actually have TorquePro but it doesn't work very well, possibly because I got a cheap OBDII adapter and got what I paid for...? Will look in to getting a better one.

MM53, thanks for that, very good to know. Question though. Although it is still pretty warm out, the glow plug light goes off very quickly when I go to start up in the morning. Did yours slow when you were having this problem?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:18 pm 
LOST Member

i dont remember a change on the glow plug light, but the only way i could get it to start is to plug in the block heater for about 30 minutes and then put the go pedal to the floor when starting, reved high but it kept running and did it the hottest part of the day. I also used starting fluid once but probaly not a good idea but worked :banghead:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Don't think of the glow plug light as just showing you the cycle of the plugs... Think of it more as a "wait to start" light - because you can go and instantly start the engine, but the plugs ARE being used even above 50 degrees outside. They are programmed for "afterglow" of up to 30 seconds, so it is entirely possible that the plugs are not doing their jobs anymore and that is why you are having starting issues.

Improper timing is also a potential cause, as is a loss of compression (less likely) or a loss of fuel pressure during starting. You should be having codes for any of these issues though. Are there any codes in the system?

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:40 pm 
LOST Member

No codes. I'll try a glow plug test this weekend when I'm doing a brake job due to sticking rear brakes...again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

install fuel pressure gauge at ff head to check lift pump ,pressure , also very important ! perform fuel injectors return flow test, very easy to do , most of us made home made tool 4 cups . and 4 clear hoses ,

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:34 pm 
LOST Member

Problem solved with new fuel filter. Filter was not overdue and it looked clean but with running homemade b.d. one never knows...