It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue: need ideas
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:19 am 
LOST Member

I was doing fine yesterday with the Jeep. It started and took me to work, home, towed the boat to the launch ramp & back home. Took my daughter to Bass lessons (you never realize how big a stringed bass is and how small a Liberty is until these two meet).

I put it on the charger last night when I parked it. Not a big unit, but more than a trickle charger.

This morning...cranking and nothing for firing. Put the big charger on, and the battery indicated it was at 85% charge.

Wife took me to work.

I cannot seem to troubleshoot this thing. Might flatbed it to the local diesel repair shop here...

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:55 pm 
LOST Member

I dropped it off at the local diesel repair shop on Friday. They indicated it was sounding like an electrical issue. They are going to be able to check it tomorrow.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:02 pm 
LOST Member

well, this is embarrassing. it appears as though I had changed out all the fuel lines, and there were no longer issues. however, there was still air trapped in the fuel line that I had not sufficiently purged.

they did want to keep it one more day just to see if it was still an issue. if I get air in the system again, I have an idea where it is coming from. time will tell.

Retired:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:18 pm 
LOST Member

Did you replace the quick connect line between the tank and the hard line? If yes, did you use OEM line or normal lines with band clamps? Those quick connects can sip air.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:23 pm 
LOST Member

pjigar wrote:
Did you replace the quick connect line between the tank and the hard line? If yes, did you use OEM line or normal lines with band clamps? Those quick connects can sip air.

I could not get to the connection at the very top of the tank, but the first area forward of the tank where I could get to the line I replaced it from there.

when I said that if I still had air in the line, I had an idea where to look, I was referring to dropping the tank and redoing all the connections on top of it. but I want to lower the amount of fuel in the Jeep first. it turns out you can't siphon it out.

but I was able to drive it to and from work today.

Retired:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:26 pm 
LOST Member

That would be your last point of air entry: line between tank and the hard line. You will have to drop the tank. You would also want to install in-tank lift pump if you are going to drop the tank anyway.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:48 pm 
LOST Member

Okay, I just it back. Turns out that the crankshaft position sensor had gone bad.
Thanks to the forum member who suggested that was the cause. The pro mech confirmed that my fuel system was tight as a drum.
He was thinking glow plug issue, until I passed along a strong recommendation to check the cps.
I had it with him becausr I thought the fuel tank needed to be dropped. II'm accident prone, so took it ti him.
Turns out that wasn't even the case.

My only disappointment was that it took him 3 weeks to get to it....

Retired:

Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue: need ideas-FIXED
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:44 pm 
LOST Addict

SargeIndustries wrote:
If you have a factory trailer harness added to your vehicle you may want to check all the relays within it. They are located at the right rear of the vehicle behind the interior plastic. They are all wrapped up in a black cloth bag. The relay that provides trailer power was warm and causing my battery draining problems. I simply removed the relay and all is good now.

I know the issue was solved but wanted to highlight this issue. The mopar trailer wiring harness triggers the relay from the front power outlet which is ALWAYS ON regardless of the key being in the ignition. This causes a parasitic drain because of the trailer relays in the trunk staying on all the time and I have since disconnected the wiring harness to deactivate it. It would kill my battery in a few days when left in place same as SargeIndustries.

I don't know if a factory installed trailer harness has this same issue but would love to know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk