It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: GM Radiator Fan - What I discovered of interest to all
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just put this 11-blade fan on my CRD. There's not much space behind the new fan to get tools in through. Has anyone tried to take the fan and clutch off?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:24 am 
LOST Junkie

Is this still the optimum fan / clutch option for these vehicles?

I have been running with out a fan since December 2015. June 2016 now.

I will be installing Jeff's thermostat soon and want a good fan to go with the higher running temps.

I would prefer an electric fan, but haven't got that all figured out yet. Looks like the 92 - 97 Volvo is the way to go for electric. I'm fast running out of time to source parts or anything.

I don't like the FF DYNAMICS because of various reviews about customer service that I have read online.

They do not have a phone number to call if you have an issue and seem to be slow to get back to people if they have an issue - though reported issues seem to be on the rare side.

I sent my vehicle info to them, asked for a price and a number to call to order. They replied that there was not a phone number to call and asked for my vehicle info.

That put me off again right there. The info was in the message they replied to. And all they had to say was there is no phone number. If they wanted my business, you would think they would have included a price and ordering info. If they are hard to buy from I can't imagine the reports of extremely hard to get service from to be false.

Looks like about $150 for the fan and clutch. I'd rather put that money towards an electric fan

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
As far as I know, the GM fan and clutch together are less than the cost of just the Mopar version of the same fan.

I just got my CRD back from the shop though (still needs to be assembled) and I will be investigating the prices of these parts this week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:43 pm 
LOST Addict

If I did it again, I'd go taurus fan, or maybe Volvo? and save a ton, although the FFD fan does work well.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
FFD? Acronym translation please?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:03 pm 
LOST Addict

http://ffdynamics.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:16 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:

Ah - gotcha. Interestingly enough, that link kept getting blocked by my VPN, looks like something funky about that site.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:06 pm 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
As far as I know, the GM fan and clutch together are less than the cost of just the Mopar version of the same fan.

I just got my CRD back from the shop though (still needs to be assembled) and I will be investigating the prices of these parts this week.

Not at Napa. The part numbers provided on that Napa website cost the same as the Hayden clutch and the mopar 11 blade fan. I still don't think that there is any evidence that the 11 blade fan is an improvement unless you are out for a quieter operation, and possibly less drag, which would probably mean less air flow.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:45 am 
LOST Addict

I read a lot of bad reviews online about the Hayden HD, and I think that I had a newer one on my CRD when I bought it, and it about melted my engine down because it failed. But, I'm now not certain that it was the hayden HD :/ Anyhow, a lot of reviews talked about them being bad out of the box, although I haven't heard that on lost. Then again, most people would never know the difference because a failed one pulls enough air at idle to keep them cool in city traffic... I overheated mine 4x4ing up a long steep grade in the hot desert. That's when I said to heck with the mechanical fan on these. Maybe I'm wrong, but beware, I have seen the hub bearing on the mechanical fail at 160k, and it takes out the expensive radiator, lower radiator hose, and may slash the hood, or worse. Check that bearing. Didn't someone successfully find the bearing and swap it :?: , because that whole assembly is really expensive.
I pulled a long grade at 90 degrees F yesterday with the FFD, and my homemade shroud that covers the entire radiator, plus the HDS thermostat while towing 3,000 lbs, and the temp gauge didn't budge. 49 mph with TC locked and about 1900 rpms. I am impressed with the greater coolant flow :rockon:
I do think there is a lot more room for error with the E-fan though, as I've had two failures to work already (a shredded serpentine belt from my experiments knocked a wire off the control, and a blown fuse which was also my fault, but the mech fan is more fool proof) :juggle:
Maybe I'll throw the mech fan back on for a side by side comparison some time. My e-fan kicks in sooner for what that's worth. I have it set to where I can't see the gauge move and it's on, took a lot of fooling around with the setting, and then I got lucky.
-Maybe the superior shroud makes it actually pull as much or more air THROUGH the radiator EDIT: (versus the mech fan). Who knows?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Last edited by Mountainman on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:28 am 
LOST Member

Mountain,
Are you using the FFD controller, or did you go with the Summit racing variable controller like Thermorex did?

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:17 am 
LOST Addict

Dent, I remember him saying he's using the variable speed with the probe in the hds thermostat.

Nick, can you please post a pic with the shroud? Also, have you noticed any improvement over the smaller shroud that comes with the ffd fan?

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:19 pm 
LOST Addict

thermorex wrote:
Dent, I remember him saying he's using the variable speed with the probe in the hds thermostat.

Nick, can you please post a pic with the shroud? Also, have you noticed any improvement over the smaller shroud that comes with the ffd fan?

Yup, like he said. I just bought the fan so I never had the small shroud, or controller for comparison, but I spent a long time making sure that my shroud had minimal gaps. I was living really remotely when I fabbed it up, so it's ugly, and the mounts are worse, but they were what I could make with what I had on hand. I'll post a pic, but it will probably take me a while, because I will probably have to look it up. I've only posted pics twice. This time I'll write down the steps :jester:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Dropbox is your friend. Put the pictures in your "public" folder under Dropbox, and then copy the "public link" to the file and put that here between the IMG tags. Works perfectly.

If you haven't signed up for Dropbox already, it is free! Please use this link when you sign up, and we both get extra space for free after you verify your email with them. They don't email anything, that is just how you activate and log in to the account. https://db.tt/QGC2eH5G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:30 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
Dropbox is your friend. Put the pictures in your "public" folder under Dropbox, and then copy the "public link" to the file and put that here between the IMG tags. Works perfectly.

If you haven't signed up for Dropbox already, it is free! Please use this link when you sign up, and we both get extra space for free after you verify your email with them. They don't email anything, that is just how you activate and log in to the account. https://db.tt/QGC2eH5G

Thanks Jim, I will do that when I get in a "software mood". I spent my career in the energy/electrical field avoiding software as much as possible. It just bores me to tears. It's also difficult :5SHOTS:
I "kill puppies" every time I have to download an app and make it work!

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:23 pm 
LOST Member

I'm confused as to what the advantage of going with the GM fan/clutch combo is over staying with the factory fan and a new clutch (napa or Hayden or Mopar)?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD (purchased 10/30/12 w/ 52k miles) GDE HotTune & Eco TCU, Suncoast TC, Amsoil Full SAPS (EFM) 5w40, Amsoil ATF, 7" touchscreen Android powered stereo (direct from China) w/ 4G LTE mobile data for streaming Netflix, HBO GO, Slingbox, Pandora, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:41 am 

KD6ICZ wrote:
I'm confused as to what the advantage of going with the GM fan/clutch combo is over staying with the factory fan and a new clutch (napa or Hayden or Mopar)?

If you want to go to a 11 blade GM fan which is slightly larger. Price is also a little bit less than Mopar parts, and both the 11 blade GM fan and HD clutch were available at NAPA.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:30 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
If you want to go to a 11 blade GM fan which is slightly larger. Price is also a little bit less than Mopar parts, and both the 11 blade GM fan and HD clutch were available at NAPA.

Got it! How good are Napa fan clutches?

I bought the Hayden 2905 but am concerned that Hayden is not any better, if not worse quality, than Mopar! I saw on here where someone had a Hayden die in 8 months. My dad earlier this year replaced a Hayden after 10 months. Since they got bought out it seems they aren't the quality they used to be 25 years ago.

Does Napa sell a fan clutch for the CRD?

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD (purchased 10/30/12 w/ 52k miles) GDE HotTune & Eco TCU, Suncoast TC, Amsoil Full SAPS (EFM) 5w40, Amsoil ATF, 7" touchscreen Android powered stereo (direct from China) w/ 4G LTE mobile data for streaming Netflix, HBO GO, Slingbox, Pandora, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:58 pm 

My understanding is the NAPA fan clutches are made by FourSeasons which is owned by Hayden. As to a OEM match clutch, they list one, just do a search on NAPA's web site for part no. TEM 271653. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:05 pm 
LOST Member

Alright. So as far as the reliability of the clutch itself is not the reason for doing this mod. I guess I'll just install the Hayden I already purchased and hope it last a few years.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:27 pm 
LOST Member

Looking at replacing the fan clutch this weekend. Since I still have the steel fan is there any sense in changing to the plastic one?

Has anyone ever found fan curves for the stock CRD fan and the Napa fan?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next