It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GM Radiator Fan - What I discovered of interest to all
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:03 am 
LOST Member

Got the fan installed, wow what a difference. I started it and revved it a tad. It was LOUD. It also declutched itself after a few seconds, acted perfectly and the same as my old tacoma fan. My dad said the engine "smoked." That was all the dust blowing off of it from the extra air hhahaa. I love it! Thanks to those who pioneered this including wwdiesel.

I'm the weird cursed with odd problems guy who's AC gets COLDER in traffic/idol so I will see how this fan affects all that. My theory is the low air flow didn't allow for sufficient freon charging at idol and possibly introduced low pressure cutout at highway speeds/proper air flow. Don't know. Fan needs to work right though. Now it does :).

I also did experience some slight overheating when towing my double axle pipe trailer, with 1000lb of corn, and a JD Gator, and 3 kayaks and few other light things. So this motivated me to finally do the fan mod.

Parts used, for those interested, all Oreilly. I did end up driving to Houston to get the stupid correct bolts, but no worries about length now so was worth it to me (2 hr one way).

Murray FA70377 Fan
Murray 2786 clutch (it was rated severe duty on their website but I wouldn't puch much merit in their "specs")

My small town Oreily even stocked these items, super surprised so most of them should I would guess.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:09 am 

You will love the much better cooling of the GM fan & fan clutch especially when towing a loaded trailer in HOT weather. That is what prompted me to pioneer the GM cooling fan & fan clutch 7 years ago!
The reason they stock them, it is a very common part used on many V8 GM trucks.
As to the Murray parts, I hope they hold up and perform as good as the NAPA or Hayden products do.
Enjoy... :JEEPIN:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:59 am 
LOST Member

Nice, can't wait to try!

Yea if the clutch takes a dump I will put the 160$ AC Delco one from Amazon in. I think all the non GM branded parts are the same, with the GM probably a better made part or better QC at least. who knows.

The Murray was still 70 so should be decent based on price. Not like a cheesy 40 dollar part or anything, like many are. That being said it's just a QC thing, some of those parts can last a long time. Like alternators or steering pumps. I would never buy a 3-400 OEM steering pump for my old Tacoma. The knockoffs can work good for older vehicles when not worth dumping a bunch of money into. That being said it's still going strong (but makes whining noises in the winter) at 245k miles ;D