It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 05CRD has started stalling,Crank position sensor problem
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

My daughters CRD has started this stalling out think and I can't seem to figure it out. Last week she was telling me what it was doing while at college, that it would start ok a d drive around then while stopping at a light it would start this rough idle and act like it was going to die then pick back up and not do it for another day or so. I showed her how to get out and prim the fuel head in case she was losing pressure some how. She said it would never just quit but acted like it was. Today on her way home while stopping for a light it acted up and did die. She jumped out and primed the line and it started right back. She told me it run fine until pulling into the drive it stalled again. I've just got home and checking it out. It started up just fine now a couple of times.
I'm going to change the fuel filter and see if that will fix it. I was just wondering if there are any connections at the fuel tank that might let air into the fuel line, any quick connects with o rings that might give trouble.
This little rig has 76000 on it and seems tight as a rock. I got it with 49000 on it and it had already had the newer fuel head put on. I was just wondering if any one has had this similar thing happen and what was your fix. Has anyone experienced the new fuel heads going bad? One thing is this rig sits a lot while at college and gets driven little through the week and then to home on weekends. Any suggestions? Oh and no codes have come up.

Last edited by JEBCRD on Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My 05CRD has started stalling at times when stopping
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

your best option is , in-tank lift pump and harness from id parts, don't trust 2nd gen fuel head its no better then old one , just spend money on lift pump and its done 100% no more air in fuel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

By chance has it ever needed quite a bit of throttle to get it rolling after it's been parked for awhile?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

jws84_02 wrote:
By chance has it ever needed quite a bit of throttle to get it rolling after it's been parked for awhile?

No, it doesn't, it takes right off. I know what your talking about I have two 05's this one is a limited, my other is a sport. My sport does though. I usually have to let it sit in neutral for a few seconds be for it will pick up and go.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yeah that was my guess at first if your daughter isn't familiar with those symptoms. Typically the push fitting lines back at the tank will suck in air. Like rankom said, in tank lift pump and replace the line back at the tank with diesel grade line and some clamps

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Explain to me how a connection can suck air in but not leak fuel out. I'm having a hard time figuring that out. I was checking the lines to the filter head last night and seen where the lines looked bad where the clamps were so I cut the bad out and clamped lines back and pumped it up. Run to the store this morn (26mile trip) and while sitting in drive letting it idle to cool turbo it just shut off like turning the key off. I cranked two long times and it would not start back. I'm getting a cup of coffee and hope that by pumping the pump it will start. But looks like I've got to check the lines at the tank.
Do you have to drop the tank to see the connections. It looks like I'll get an intank pump but would like to get it going dependable for a week until I can lay hands on a pump.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok went to Id parts and can't find in tank pump under CRD. Can someone point me to the pump that I need or what works. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:08 am 
LOST Junkie

our fuel lines are the same as gas libby so its good under pressure , not so good for vacuum , i tried replacing connections at fuel tank i replace ff head twice (new style) nothing worked. so i put back original plastic fuel connector line at tank, installed lift pump ,reused old o ring from old sending unit ,got new harness , wired electrical plug ,pins to proper locations , reinstall fuel tank .been trouble free for almost 2 years. note, only hard part is to secure pump , you need help to push ant turn locking (metal ring) top of fuel pump so thats why we must reuse old GREEN o ring seal it,s already flat and easier to compress.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:26 am 
LOST Junkie

sorry , i got harness from id parts , pump. from dodge part no# rl143160ab 319US $

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Found a pump. Thanks for the part number. That helped. Ok, what wire harness do I need from Idparts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

my crd is 06 i got harness 56047848ab yours is 05 model part no#56050284ab id parts discontinued this one. ? get used harness off gas libby 05 model only. or call dodge if they have it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:08 am 
LOST Member

If it only happens when stopping you may want to check the wiring harness behind the fuel head. I bought the new pump, then checked the harness and it was frayed.

see this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81243

SOLD-2006 Red CRD Sport 4x4. Hot, Fumoto, Weeks stage 1, ARP studs .
SOLD-2006 blue CRD Sport 4x4. Eco, Fumoto.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

buddy357 wrote:
If it only happens when stopping you may want to check the wiring harness behind the fuel head. I bought the new pump, then checked the harness and it was frayed.

see this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81243

That's a good suggestion, I did check, as stated earlier I pulled in after a 26 mile trip to store and while idleing it just shut off on me. All the times before my daughter said it would spot and spudded like it was going to die but never did. This past Friday on her way home from college it run fine until she stopped at stoplight and it just quit. I had showed her how to pump it so she popped the hood pumped it up and started back. But when she pulled into drive it died again it restarted she went ten feet and it died again. And she left it. I came home and with put pumping it it started right up. And after it died on me I tried two
Times to start and it just cranked over no start. I went in for a cup of coffee and returned an hour later and it started right up. I let it idle for 15 then shut it off and started again and idle for another 15 and it never died. I think it's from those press lock fittings at the fuel tank leaking. I checked them and seem tight but I aprayed wd40 on the joints to lube the o-ring. Maybe this will help until I can figure out a pusher pump setup.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:27 am 

Consider installing an in-tank fuel pump like many on this site have done. Plenty of instructions and guidance on this forum on how to install one... :idea:
Once installed, all air in fuel problems are gone forever and your Jeep will run and idle much better with the positive feed to the suction side of the CP3 injection pump.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:20 am 
LOST Addict

JEBCRD wrote:
Explain to me how a connection can suck air in but not leak fuel out. I'm having a hard time figuring that out. I was checking the lines to the filter head last night and seen where the lines looked bad where the clamps were so I cut the bad out and clamped lines back and pumped it up. Run to the store this morn (26mile trip) and while sitting in drive letting it idle to cool turbo it just shut off like turning the key off. I cranked two long times and it would not start back. I'm getting a cup of coffee and hope that by pumping the pump it will start. But looks like I've got to check the lines at the tank.
Do you have to drop the tank to see the connections. It looks like I'll get an intank pump but would like to get it going dependable for a week until I can lay hands on a pump.

Air density is lower than fuel density. Since stock crds operate by creating vacuum from the cp3 fuel pump, the stock tank fittings can suck air, but not leak fuel. Like sipping a drink through a straw with a hole. So the stock lines may suck air in, and even if you leave them stock and install an in tank pump, they may not leak fuel due to greater density of the fuel vs air. The crds were plagued with this issue since forever, hence some forum users installed either in tank, either in line fuel pumps.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

everything you wanted to know about "in tank" lift pump
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26385

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:23 am 
LOST Newbie

LazyK wrote:
everything you wanted to know about "in tank" lift pump
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26385

Thanks for the link. Lots of good info on here. I've got a pump ordered now got to figure out the wiring part. I'd like to just get the pins and add the two wires to my own harness.

Has any one ever checked with a dealer parts and see if they might have these pins for the connecters.

Another note on my problem I asked one of our shop mechanics at work who used to work as a doge mechanic and said also I should check my Battery voltage. He said since its dieing at a stop the voltage may be strong enough to crank the engine but a little low for the electronics. I checked it and I'm at 14.2dcv with headlights on. I had flashers on and it would jump from that to 13.7 the lowest. Does this sound acceptable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Your battery/charging system voltage is good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:09 am 
LOST Addict

Other vacuum leak could also cause these systems . But fuel lines are by far best bet. Though not safe, when my first crd did this I cut fuel line where I planned on installing a lift pump I ordered (Kennedy is one I used) and spliced in more fuel line and put it in five gallon fuel container through left rear window after pouring line full and securing container in back thus bypassing the whole tank system and it worked well for a couple of days till lift pump came in. Did I mention this isn't safe, but its what I did.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok, i got my fuel pump in today and am planning to install it this weekend. I'm trying to locate some connectors and the post someone had a link to for some from Mouser shows to only purchase like thousands of them i only need a few. Does anybody know where i can get the connectors needed to use in the factory plug. I'm putting in a mopar OEM truck pump and want to keep it close to original .