It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wrangler CRD EGR blocked off and FCV disabled by unplug
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Please excuse me if I am in the wrong place but I just can,t seem to find anyone with a Wrangler CRD who has done this. First I am not a noob to diesels, 1st was a 74 Merc 200D in Germany in 75. I have more recently disabled the EGR on every diesel I have owned that had one (Rover 600SDI - Renault 1.9DCI - several VW products 1.9TDI) on all of those vehicles I got better economy, smoother quicker acceleration and an all round nicer drive. I just disabled the EGR on my Wrangler CRD by making up a plate to block the pipe, I unplugged the FCV. But I have got an engine light? what caused it? unplugging the FCV? Is there a better way to disable this thing? or should I leave it alone? no matter what it does I suppose no smoke is going into the inlet manifold anymore. I cleaned what I think is the MAP (different place to the one on the Liberty....looks the same gadget though?) at 85,000 miles it was merely oily, no soot at all. I cleaned the MAF while I was at it.......now some of you say disconnect the MAF?? on all previous Electronically controlled diesels that I have owned the MAF was a very important part for economy and smoothness, disconnect it or have one go bad and you were on factory settings only....not exactly 'limp home mode' but not as good as with the MAF. So my question is? how do I get this engine light to go away? is there a scan tool that I can buy which will empower me to switch off the light in this case.

Post subject: Re: Wrangler CRD EGR blocked off and FCV disabled by unpl
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:23 am 
LOST Member

Yes you will get a check engine light by unplugging the FCV. The easiest solution is a small piece of black electrical tape over the dash light (it is still on, but you can't see it).

Sasquatch Parts has a good write up on how to eliminate the light. Read the section titled "ECM Tune options" : https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/shop/in ... berty-crd/

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Jay ne Ohio......is there any scan tool/code reader that can be bought that will enable me to shut off the light. I would like something for my Wrangler for code reading......if this Wrangler keeps on the great way it has gone so far we will buy a 4 door CRD for my wife next year, so a code reader that will be compatible with both will be great I have just been wondering again.....why do we disable the FCV? what does disableing help?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:49 am 
LOST Member

Contact Keith at www.greendieselengineering.com . He may be able to help you. Many of us on this site are using his tunes.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:48 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The other alternative is one of the low-cost tunes that you can read about in the CRD Tech section. Search on "Yeti Tune" and I can be available to help if you are stuck and in the USA, I can install the tune for you.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:35 pm 

You can install a Yeti tune that has the FCV and EGR DTC's disabled. All that is needed is an MPPS cable and a laptop computer. The cable is available on eBay. :google:

With a Yeti tune, you can get more power and better fuel economy and no EGR crap in your motor and best of all it costs $00.00! :-)r
Read all about it at: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=78418

Also, the Weeks FCV elimination kit is a very good addition if you want to get rid of the restrictive FCV.
It also allows you to completely remove the FCV and the EGR valve and the EGR cooler.... :wink:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=78238

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

It's a Wrangler CRD if I understand , different ECU and mapping , but for delete the MIL you need to reflesh the ECU the mpps maybe work on a 177 hp .......not sure for the 200 hp

https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:12 am 
LOST Addict

My best advice is to contact Keith at gde, he may be able to make a tune for you. As much as I envy you for having a wrangler crd, I'm happy not being in your shoes, and as I am not sure what the differences between our liberty crds and wrangler crds are, I would bet there are different ecu programs and I won't try installing any liberty crd tune on a wrangler crd. What we did to disable egr was to either get a gde tune with weeks101 kit (or a block off plate as you have), either get one of the tunes made by yeti. Safest in my opinion would be to just go with Keith at gde, you will pay few hundreds for the tune but if he makes you one, you can bet your everything it will work, plus you get more power, torque mileage and engine runs way cleaner, your oil will look more like a gasoline engine than a diesel one. Plus, Keith customer support is one of the best I've ever seen.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

All who answered with ideas...I thank you from the bottom of my six speed manual box. I am actually an Englishman living in Eastern Poland. The Wrangler (mostly imported from Germany at anywhere from 5 to 2 years old) is becoming very popular in Poland although very rare in this South Eastern corner...(rare enough to have people stare)....couple of Libertys though. I will suffer the engine light for now and see how it goes. Did my first real drive yesterday over an hour and the Wrangler performed so much better, I can drop to 1000 rpm in 3rd gear and pull smoothly away, saves a lot of gearchanges......I had hardly used 6th at all on these country roads.....now I can use 6th and she rolls along with the engine hardly turning....drop one gear and pull smoothly away. I had really expected no less as I have had positive results from pulling the EGR on several other diesels. I,m loving this (brakes making like difflocks thing!!) it really works, I can not see why anyone but real hardcore rock crawlers would need 'positive Difflocks' this setup is fine for crossing ditches etc. This is my first Jeep (I did get to drive a Hotchkiss jeep at camp Caylus France back in 75) I have been a long standing Landrover Guy having owned 8 of them since leaving the Army in 86.....though the wife still has in the garage an 86 UAZ 469b with an Andoria diesel. I am looking forward to my first Polish winter (can reach -30C here for weeks) with the Jeep. Future Mods will be that stupid particulate filter, to be replaced with a straight pipe, all the way through.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Dreadnought wrote:
All who answered with ideas...I thank you from the bottom of my six speed manual box. I am actually an Englishman living in Eastern Poland. The Wrangler (mostly imported from Germany at anywhere from 5 to 2 years old) is becoming very popular in Poland although very rare in this South Eastern corner...(rare enough to have people stare)....couple of Libertys though. I will suffer the engine light for now and see how it goes. Did my first real drive yesterday over an hour and the Wrangler performed so much better, I can drop to 1000 rpm in 3rd gear and pull smoothly away, saves a lot of gearchanges......I had hardly used 6th at all on these country roads.....now I can use 6th and she rolls along with the engine hardly turning....drop one gear and pull smoothly away. I had really expected no less as I have had positive results from pulling the EGR on several other diesels. I,m loving this (brakes making like difflocks thing!!) it really works, I can not see why anyone but real hardcore rock crawlers would need 'positive Difflocks' this setup is fine for crossing ditches etc. This is my first Jeep (I did get to drive a Hotchkiss jeep at camp Caylus France back in 75) I have been a long standing Landrover Guy having owned 8 of them since leaving the Army in 86.....though the wife still has in the garage an 86 UAZ 469b with an Andoria diesel. I am looking forward to my first Polish winter (can reach -30C here for weeks) with the Jeep. Future Mods will be that stupid particulate filter, to be replaced with a straight pipe, all the way through.

Seriously, if you are OK paying few hundreds, Keith can help with tune and also advices, I know he has a tune for the ram diesel (the v6 diesel that comes on those trucks), and it also improves the Def change interval and cleaning cycles. So I know he can do it, I am nor sure if he will be willing or not, but just asking him a question will be free, side of the time to write it.

Oh, and I miss shifting gears... But like the 545rfe, tough beast...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Thermorex.......I,ll give it a couple more weeks and assess the way it drives over those weeks then I will probably approach Keith and see what he can do for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Additional.......my drive is uphill, not too bad, but definitely uphill, today I pulled away on tickover up that incline in my CRD Wrangler, she just rolled along up that slope still on tickover, I caught up with my wife who was heading up to open the gates, stopped and again pulled away from her purely on tickover. No way would it have done that before I blocked the EGR and unplugged the FCV. It really is a delight to drive now...some real rough tracks around here and now it is just so 'controllable' no scrabbling and having to keep the revs up...much smoother more relaxed off road drive.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:20 am 
LOST Addict

GDE sells their tune products in Australia and includes export model Wrangler CRDs
So Keith should be able to help you. However, I believe that late model JK CRDs cannot be tuned because Jeep changed the bus or ECU - only a dealer can reload one. You will be ok if its an early model JK CRD, like a 2008 - 2012 I believe, Keith will knw exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:35 am 
LOST Newbie

It is running so well right now that I am loathe to do anything to it to change that, the flexibility is superb....I'll just suffer that little engine light for a while longer....Loving this Jeep so much, thinking of getting another next year....but the 4 door.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Why not just plug the FCV back in, the computer might be happy if its back in the circuit, even if it is not physically connected to the intake.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:56 am 
LOST Newbie

I might try the FCV plug back in............as you say...if the EGR inlet is blocked what can it do? it might restrict the airway though and cut my MPG.....I'll try it and see what happens.......By the way MPG has been steadily improving and the Jeep is so smooth in all conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

They put the CRD in the Wrangler and then sold it overseas. The single most lusted after, wanted, requested, dealer-threatened-with-bodily-harm-if-Jeep-doesn't-build-it option besides a pickup, and they don't even have the decency to sell them Stateside. No wonder Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat/Daimler/whoever the hell they are is a distant third American auto maker.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 am 
LOST Addict

thefunk wrote:
They put the CRD in the Wrangler and then sold it overseas. The single most lusted after, wanted, requested, dealer-threatened-with-bodily-harm-if-Jeep-doesn't-build-it option besides a pickup, and they don't even have the decency to sell them Stateside. No wonder Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat/Daimler/whoever the hell they are is a distant third American auto maker.

Emissions controls, EPA, CARB, Volkwagen's emissions cheating scandal...

These are just a few reasons why a Jeep Wrangler CRD is not available in the US.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:45 pm 
LOST Addict

I almost got a ram Eco diesel, the dealer said they sell about 2 of those for every 100 hemi rams, and jeep Eco diesel about 1 for every 100 non diesel grand cherokees... I haven't seen a 2016 ram Eco diesel on stock at about 10 dealers in the area, all have 2015 models. Not sure why they are not in demand, probably because ram 1500 is some sort of a Mall truck, not a real workhorse like 2500 and 3500.