It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reddish fluid leak
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:53 pm 
LOST Member

I noticed that the lower part of the front bumper is all full an oily fluid. Of course, the floor has this reddish oily fluid spills. Apparently, some part of the motor is leaking. What could it be?
This is an image of the fluid spill on the floor and the stain on the lower part of the bumper:

Post subject: Re: Reddish fluid leak
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's likely either ATF fluid, feels oily, or antifreeze, does not feel oily but a drop on the tongue tastes sweet (PS opps as thermorex notes today's antifreeze does not taste sweet, see my later post).

If ATF could be leaking fittings at the ATF cooler in the bottom of the AC condensor or a leak in that cooler. As I recall the fittings can be fixed or bypassed and the cooler can be cut out of the circuit and replaced with an aftermarket cooler just behind the grill. Email me if you want links.

If antifreeze could easily be a coolant hose leak or a radiator leak

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Last edited by papaindigo on Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

X2. If it's oily it's prolly atf fluid and check the trans cooler lines

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:06 pm 
LOST Member

x3! It will be either quick connect or the crimped end of the trans cooler lines going to the lower part of the AC condenser.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:26 pm 
LOST Addict

I x4 it, it's atf from the Trans cooler fitting.

Papaindigo, now all the coolant is sour/bitter, I think they changed the taste due to many ppl/pets dying. Good old days when you could get a good diesel/antifreeze cocktail are gone...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Definitely ATF 4+.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:06 am 
LOST Junkie

Its ATF. This happened to me 2 years ago in Wurzburg. The quick connectors on the pipes at the cooler had corroded over time and just started leaking on the road. Either replace the lines (or get them replaced) or follow papaindigo's advice.

I'd do it fairly soon if I were you - the leak can get a lot worse remarkably quickly!

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:banghead: I stand corrected. thermorex is correct about the "taste" of antifreeze today. It's no longer sweet rather it's, at least Xerex is, sort of nasty flat/bitter. Tells you how long I've been working on vehicles and how long it's been since I've dealt with a coolant leak.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:48 pm 
LOST Member

So, according to you all, it is the AC system. That means that if I dont use the AC, nothing bad is going to happen, right? I mean, it is not the radiator or anything related to the engine that can be damaged if I don't do something about it, right? If I dont fix this leak, worst case is that I will not be able to have air conditioning, right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:02 pm 
LOST Member

Oh, wait a minute. ATF stands for Autamtic transmission fluid? Then, is this related to the transmission system, the gears, and not with the Air conditioning system?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

Its the transmission. Leave it alone and eventually the transmission will drain out and you will be faced with the cost/trouble of getting and fitting a replacement. The leak will only get worse and may fail in a big way. If you are driving along when that happens, you may not really notice until too late - hence my suggestion that you attend to it promptly.

It is NOT the air con system.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:36 pm 
LOST Addict

x2^^^^^^^^

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:42 pm 
LOST Member

Lancer wrote:
Its ATF. This happened to me 2 years ago in Wurzburg. The quick connectors on the pipes at the cooler had corroded over time and just started leaking on the road. Either replace the lines (or get them replaced) or follow papaindigo's advice.

I'd do it fairly soon if I were you - the leak can get a lot worse remarkably quickly!

So these lines on the transmission system are Chrysler specific or can I get a generic part and replace them?
What do you mean by quick connectors? A clip that holds the rubber pipes? Any mechanic can do it or it has to be a Chrysler dealer?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:29 pm 
LOST Member

This is how the fluid looks like:Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Idle the jeep and search for the leak. Most likley will be the trans cooler or the hard to rubber lines. Once you find that leak fix it up and full her up. If it's a toast line, it's generic to a point. If it's the radiator, jeep specific part.

And my goodness that is a ton of atf!!! :|

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:54 pm 
LOST Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
Idle the jeep and search for the leak. Most likley will be the trans cooler or the hard to rubber lines. Once you find that leak fix it up and full her up. If it's a toast line, it's generic to a point. If it's the radiator, jeep specific part.

But, do you think that that brownish/reddish oil can come out of the radiator? I thought there was just water or coolant inside the radiator.
Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:10 pm 
LOST Addict

hgrimberg wrote:
PALiftedKK wrote:

But, do you think that that brownish/reddish oil can come out of the radiator? I thought there was just water or coolant inside the radiator.
Thank you

The leak is coming from your transmission cooler.
Your transmission cooler is integrated into your AC condensor, which is in front of your radiator.
The only liquid inside your radiator is coolant/water.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:15 pm 
LOST Junkie

flash7210 wrote:
hgrimberg wrote:
PALiftedKK wrote:

Thank you

Your transmission cooler is integrated into your AC condensor, which is in front of your radiator.

Yes, this should have been clarified. Your tranny cooler is part of the ac condenser. It is it the smallest one there out of the 3. Look at the bottom of it. There will be 2 smaller lines going to it from the transmission. One or both are probably corroded and starting to leak within the first 6" of the line

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:20 pm 
LOST Member

jws84_02 wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
hgrimberg wrote:
[quote="PALiftedKK"]Idle the jeep and search for the leak. Most likley will be the trans cooler or the hard to rubber lines. Once you find that leak fix it up and full her up. If it's a toast line, it's generic to a point. If it's the radiator, jeep specific part.

Thank you

Yes, this should have been clarified. Your tranny cooler is part of the ac condenser. It is it the smallest one there out of the 3. Look at the bottom of it. There will be 2 smaller lines going to it from the transmission. One or both are probably corroded and starting to leak within the first 6" of the line[/quote]
These 2 smaller lines are made out of rubber? I'll see if I can find them looking up from under the engine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:41 pm 
LOST Addict

No. Go to the transmission. There will be 2 lines comming out of the transmission. They'll be one on top of each other with about an inch or so gap between them. Follow those to the engine bay. If by the time you get to the radiator and find no leak, start the engine up and do the same thing.

Make sure to wear clear safety glasses.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle