It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Viscous Heater Bearing Squeal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Does anyone out there have a part number for the viscous heater, or know where I can find the clutch assembly preferably?

2006 Liberty CRD "Hog"-168,+00 miles, Mishimoto turbo hoses, Hitch mount tow shackle, Goodyear Wrangler ST P225/75R-16 DGE VSB (TERRIBLE if there is the slightest amount of ice on the ground), GDE Ecotune
1994 Wrangler SE "Bud"-85,000 miles, 4.0 HO, 3 speed auto, hard top, as stock as they come and that's how it's going to stay

Post subject: Re: Viscous Heater Bearing Squeal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60567

The heater is pricey and really doesn't serve a terribly useful functional purpose. The bearing can be replaced cheap. No one I know of has found a viscous heater clutch pk replacement.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:02 pm 
LOST Member

I've always wanted to completely remove that thing and put something useful there... Like a second alternator.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD (purchased 10/30/12 w/ 52k miles) GDE HotTune & Eco TCU, Suncoast TC, Amsoil Full SAPS (EFM) 5w40, Amsoil ATF, 7" touchscreen Android powered stereo (direct from China) w/ 4G LTE mobile data for streaming Netflix, HBO GO, Slingbox, Pandora, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:05 pm 
LOST Addict

A few of us have deleted it. I recently sent another Lost member an old VH because he is fabricating a pulley & mount to replace it so that nothing else has to be changed. Hopefully he will share the specs on the stuff he makes.

Myself, I just started by deleting it and adding a bigger idler pulley, but I didn't like it, so I then relocated the tensioner to the other spot (there's another place on the timing cover that it fits in with only minor modification), but I also deleted the AC, mech fan. Shaving the tensioner housing slightly and getting a smaller belt was all I modified. Other than removing the mechanical fan and it's mount, which sits in the other tensioner location. You can at the timing belt in under ten minutes with these mods :JEEPIN:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I "sprayed" some dry graphite type powdered lubricant into mine and it shut it up.

Etecno Metal glow plugs
New starter at 165,000km
New timing belt water pump ( ID Parts) 169,000 km

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
A few of us have deleted it. I recently sent another Lost member an old VH because he is fabricating a pulley & mount to replace it so that nothing else has to be changed. Hopefully he will share the specs on the stuff he makes.

Myself, I just started by deleting it and adding a bigger idler pulley, but I didn't like it, so I then relocated the tensioner to the other spot (there's another place on the timing cover that it fits in with only minor modification), but I also deleted the AC, mech fan. Shaving the tensioner housing slightly and getting a smaller belt was all I modified. Other than removing the mechanical fan and it's mount, which sits in the other tensioner location. You can at the timing belt in under ten minutes with these mods :JEEPIN:

Can you post a picture of your new belt routing?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:28 pm 
LOST Addict

You can also look on eBay or junk yards (good luck finding a crd...) and get a used viscous heater, and fix yours using the link papaindigo gave you.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:30 pm 
LOST Addict

CATCRD wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

I kow he did it, I talked to him some years ago about it, Mountainman has also the belt code (length) he used.

Please be so kind and share this again.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:27 am 
LOST Addict

CATCRD wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

I will try to get a good picture posted soon, and I might as well finally get a how-to done for the mod. I just have to ask my wife for help with the pictures. My avatar shows a poor pic of it. But, for now, I can tell you my belt goes from alternator down to the tensioner (where the mech fan mount lower bolt goes, then down along the bottom of the crank and power steering pump, and then goes all the way up and across to the alternator. You can see the long span from PS to alternator in my avatar. I might put the upper idler pulley back in sometime for that long span, but the belt has been holding up for thousands of miles.
I forgot to mention before that I had to use a spacer (a washer) behind the tensioner pulley to bring it out a few mils to line up with the belt properly. Hardest part was sitting in front of Autozone and buying one belt at a time until I had the right one. Went through this twice with the two different versions of the mod.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

if it is squealing when not engaged - IE main bearing, it is a fairly stock bearing..

just ordered one for myself here in the UK. look up A/C clutch bearings, 35 mm x 52mm x 22 mm. about £20.00 here which is expensive compared to other countries..

I'll do a how to if I get a minute - once Ive done mine..

or delete the POS :)