It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternator Clutch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:32 pm 
LOST Member

I have replaced it a few times it always starts making noise at idle first. Then wears out and breaks. but it makes squealing noises the whole time. I changed it a few months back when doing the timing belt it lasted 3 week before it started squealing.

What if I glue it together so the clutch can not activate maybe with some JB Weld? To far fetched. Would not actually work it would just blow up the alternator or battery or both.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

Post subject: Re: Alternator Clutch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Maybe you need a new tensioner and/or belt?

Last edited by flash7210 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:24 am 
LOST Addict

Agreed, an OAD should last around 100K these days. Check the other components of the system before replacing again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:25 am 
LOST Member

Try an upgraded Litens 920834A de-coupler from Advance Auto.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83062

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:29 pm 
LOST Member

I believe I have new idlers and new belt and tensioner, the 200k mile "tune up" was very expensive. Timing Belt, water pump, idlers, belts they are all new. A friend helped me i.e. he did most of the work I said can we change out the pulley to a standard pulley off a different alternator so we tried it and it did not fit so we got a factory one since the last two Advance auto parts ones lasted less than a month before squealing. To the factory versions credit it is still working well and only squeals at idle.

So back to the original question if I find a way to eliminate the clutch part will it blow up the belt or alternator or battery by not having the clutch in there. Obviously I do not care about it's effects on fuel miles

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:29 am 
LOST Addict

Greasey Bob wrote:
So back to the original question if I find a way to eliminate the clutch part will it blow up the belt or alternator or battery by not having the clutch in there. Obviously I do not care about it's effects on fuel miles

An OAD absorbs vibrations and allows the system to run at lower tension. I dont think anything is going to blow up but I'd guess replacing with a fixed pulley will result in possibly more squeal and the tensioner will have to work more to absorb vibrations resulting in a compromised life expectancy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Probably nothing will blow up immediately but in the relatively near term you will lose the belt tensioner and the clutches on the viscous heater and AC will chirp/howl; how much damage you will cause to them and how soon I don't know. My recommendation get the upgraded Litens pulley (their PN 920834) and install it. Note a good alternator/auto electric shop may have it in which case they likely can install it for a total price less than your cost for just the pulley.

Use of cheap decoupler pulleys is well known to result in short pulley life and tensioner damage.

If you have been using quality pulleys and still having short pulley life I'd look for other problems in that belt system. For example replacing just a pulley after pulley problems have damaged the tensioner will result in short pulley life until BOTH the tensioner and pulley are replaced. Quick check after installing new pulley - if tensioner is "leaning" toward or into power steering pulley or noticeably bouncing as opposed to barely twitching then tensioner is bad.

See the video at http://www.decouplerpulley.com/ for more information.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:22 am 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
if tensioner is "leaning" toward or into power steering pulley or noticeably bouncing as opposed to barely twitching then tensioner is bad.

Mine did that. It was chirping against the front of the PS pulley. I replaced it with a tensioner from IDParts. She went through 2 decouplers before that (under my watch), so I figured the tensioner had all the abuse she could handle. New tensioner fixed her up good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:14 pm 
LOST Addict

I am also for the updated Litens oad clutch, but for the life of me, I can't explain how yours lasts only a month... I replaced my original alt with a pos advance auto in 2012, that pos lasted 6 months and about 5-6k miles, but the oad pulley was fine. Then I got an original (not the updated) Litens pulley which works still perfect (maybe about 30k miles later). I wonder if what papaindigo said about a bad tensioner is the issue that causes yours to fail...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My old school underlying "logic" is based on the KISS principal. If and only if you are using the correct decoupler tensioner, as opposed to anything else, AND the tensioner is regularly failing then look elsewhere in the serpentine belt path for the cause.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:12 pm 
LOST Member

It is not squealing so bad now, the A/C is getting worse. I have figured out that with the A/C off it only squeals a little some times. The A/C is squealing at idle but that makes the alternator squeal more at idle also. Maybe I will fix the A/C and see if the alternator improves. It is the only thing that has not been changed in the last 9k miles.