It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On the VW emissions thing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

All VW have done is the same thing we do when we block The EGR and disable the FCV.......they just did it in a very subtle,efficient and highly 'Teutonic' way? The parts of emission control that they have 'messed with' (messed with is a very simplistic description) are all to do with Nox emissions. These are the things that to get rid of you have to strangle down the power and make the vehicle less driveable......especially when they block up with soot!!! as they will do as sure as the sun rises in the East.

Post subject: Re: On the VW emissions thing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:50 pm 
LOST Member

Our EPA is out of control and people and companies need to speak up. I'm sick of the greenie enviro-terrorists. I've deleted everything possible on my diesel vehicles as protest. :jester:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:42 pm 
LOST Addict

I find it funny they invoke global warming when the nox creates global cooling... Scientifically proven. The fact it's causing cancer is another issue... But they don't quote this reason, they quote global warming...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

olypopper wrote:
Our EPA is out of control and people and companies need to speak up. I'm sick of the greenie enviro-terrorists. I've deleted everything possible on my diesel vehicles as protest. :jester:

Just wait,they've been testing others and all have failed including Jeeps.You may get stuck having a emission complaint CRD soon if you want it or not.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:42 am 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
olypopper wrote:

Just wait,they've been testing others and all have failed including Jeeps.You may get stuck having a emission complaint CRD soon if you want it or not.

That's fine. We voted the borough emissions testing out of interior Alaska several years ago and ever since then we have been attacked by outside enviro-nazis who bring outside money into Alaska to finance huge movements like "PM 2.5". These clowns are attempting to give state and ultimately federal control over home heating! Until people get tired of the BS and fight it, it'll just keep getting worse.

The only people I know of that don't seem to have a lot of exhaust systems failures are VW drivers........now we know why. :BINGO:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I may not be expressing this well but the issue is not whether a vehicle meets emission requirements "on the road" as that is not the basis of the testing environment. Rather the issue is do vehicle emissions in the "dyno" testing environment mimic as accurately as the testing environment assumes for on the road emissions. In the case of the VW engine(s) in question the answer is NO because VW was "faking" emissions in the testing environment. Personally I strongly suspect real world on the road emissions will not, in many cases, match testing environment emissions. One may debate how close they should match and the best I'll say is they should be reasonably close not the 40x or so difference seen in VW.

VW's problem is they thought they could meet the post 2006 model year emission requirements without add-ons other companies used. Apparently the answer was a resounding no and someone(s) at VW decided to cheat. Why they continued to cheat as long as they did somewhat escapes me but I assume it's because once a lie is out there it's hard to take back.

Diesel emission requirements for model year 2006 and early were much different and to a large extent somewhat irrelevant to the computer cheating issue never mind the age of the vehicles in question and the design life of emission control systems.

My personal bet, setting aside how the VW issue at hand plays out, is the long term result is likely to push new vehicle emission certification testing out of the "dyno" environment and onto the road now that testing equipment is more portable.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:53 am 
LOST Addict

I bet most of the gassers don't meet on road emissions either. No proof though, just my speculation.

Regarding tree huggers and epa. We should be, as human beings, united in standing against pollution as a principle, but against this global warming scare tactics. Nobody wants to breath black coal, or high rich gasoline emissions. But pushing this to an extreme is just wrong...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Any test is going to have to be a standard that's repeatable. Hence you have to do it in a shop, the way emissions are tested in the USA. Doing it onboard, on the road, in real world conditions isn't going to work because you're never going to get repeatable results from one car to another, from one location to another, from one environmental condition to another, etc. So while you can test for actual emissions a car is putting out, there's no real way to legislate that, or for any locality to make it a valid test. I don't see anyplace going to on-road emission testing easily unless there's a pretty wide variance.

I've been following the Mazda 6 diesel development for the US market, and they haven't been able to get the performance they want without going to DEF. Even using it, they haven't gotten the performance they want, and haven't released it yet. It would seem the Japanese didn't consider the German route of just cheating to get the performance on the road, and still turn in passing numbers on the test.

The recall is going to turn those VW cars into dogs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

olypopper wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
olypopper wrote:

That's fine. We voted the borough emissions testing out of interior Alaska several years ago and ever since then we have been attacked by outside enviro-nazis who bring outside money into Alaska to finance huge movements like "PM 2.5". These clowns are attempting to give state and ultimately federal control over home heating! Until people get tired of the BS and fight it, it'll just keep getting worse.

The only people I know of that don't seem to have a lot of exhaust systems failures are VW drivers........now we know why. :BINGO:
May not have a choice regardless of the place you live.They can prevent renewing your plates without proof of recall being done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ross wrote:
Any test is going to have to be a standard that's repeatable. Hence you have to do it in a shop, the way emissions are tested in the USA. Doing it onboard, on the road, in real world conditions isn't going to work because you're never going to get repeatable results from one car to another, from one location to another, from one environmental condition to another, etc. So while you can test for actual emissions a car is putting out, there's no real way to legislate that, or for any locality to make it a valid test. I don't see anyplace going to on-road emission testing easily unless there's a pretty wide variance.

They do roadside sniffer tests(gas only) in Denver,they even advertise the locations and if you pass like twice or something your set so no smog station for hours.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:24 pm 
LOST Addict

papaindigo wrote:
I may not be expressing this well but the issue is not whether a vehicle meets emission requirements "on the road" as that is not the basis of the testing environment. Rather the issue is do vehicle emissions in the "dyno" testing environment mimic as accurately as the testing environment assumes for on the road emissions. In the case of the VW engine(s) in question the answer is NO because VW was "faking" emissions in the testing environment. Personally I strongly suspect real world on the road emissions will not, in many cases, match testing environment emissions. One may debate how close they should match and the best I'll say is they should be reasonably close not the 40x or so difference seen in VW.

VW's problem is they thought they could meet the post 2006 model year emission requirements without add-ons other companies used. Apparently the answer was a resounding no and someone(s) at VW decided to cheat. Why they continued to cheat as long as they did somewhat escapes me but I assume it's because once a lie is out there it's hard to take back.

Diesel emission requirements for model year 2006 and early were much different and to a large extent somewhat irrelevant to the computer cheating issue never mind the age of the vehicles in question and the design life of emission control systems.

My personal bet, setting aside how the VW issue at hand plays out, is the long term result is likely to push new vehicle emission certification testing out of the "dyno" environment and onto the road now that testing equipment is more portable.

They were caught because an enviro-think tank was trying to prove to the europeans that meeting the same diesel emission standards as the US wouldnt be an issue. "Look, VW is doing it!" Then they borrowed mobile emissions equipment for the the University of West Virginia(i think) and tested a few VW's and a BMW X5 diesel. The X5 passed fine on the road and the VW's crapped the bed. Then they took them back to the lab and once there the VW's were in spec which raised everyone's suspicions.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:35 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
ross wrote:

They do roadside sniffer tests(gas only) in Denver,they even advertise the locations and if you pass like twice or something your set so no smog station for hours.

Even roadside tests cannot determine throttle position and engine load.
If the exact locations of the roadside testers are known, you could accelerate up to the tester and then just take your foot off the gas and coast on by.
Roadside test equipment also cannot perform a visual inspection. So under the right conditions, a vehicle with all emissions controls defeated could roll on by and pass the emissions test.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
ross wrote:

They do roadside in California, but it's just the same test as the station just with portable equipment. The VW cheat code would kick in on those tests (though I don't know how they handle diesels there now).

The Colorado moving sniffer test is stricter than the station test because there's too many variables that effect the sniffer, so it's not a direct replacement. You might not pass the sniffer test but may still be able to pass the station test and be good to go. If they were doing diesels, a "pre-ban" VW might not pass the sniffer test, but would have passed the station test as the cheat code would kick in. So, no real effect on the owner, other than not being able to use the more convenient moving sniffer test.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

flash7210 wrote:
Even roadside tests cannot determine throttle position and engine load.

And that is the point,real world emission output reading and not some controlled test.It's more accurate IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:08 am 
LOST Member

Just a nit, but here in Colorado, diesels are subject to a different emissions test than gassers. Gassers, at least at the testing stations, get the full NOx, CO2, CO etc done at various loads. Diesels however go on a dyno, and then get opacity of the exhaust measured; that's it. Failure levels vary by turbo or not, age of vehicle, etc, but something like 20% for turbo cars. I've seen some very smokey trucks, that I thought sure would fail, pass.

So on a diesel, you never get NOx levels from an emissions test nor are they used for the pass/fail decision...