It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another no-start topic, but this one is fun!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:03 pm 
LOST Member

I've never had a no-start problem with either of my Jeeps, but this morning I finally got one! Jumped in as I usually do to go to work and cranked the key to the on position to let the lift pump run for a second then turned it over and got a repeated clicking sound and all of the lights on the dash started to flicker in time. It was like a relay cutting power to the dash and key at the same time. It didn't even attempt to crank the motor. I turned the key back to the off position to try again and everything went black. I turned the key to try to start it again and got the same behavior. It will either sit there and click repeatedly with no start, or literally do NOTHING with all the lights on. For reference, the SKIM light remains on during all of this, but so do the air bag and brake lights, as well as the check engine light (my MAP is unplugged :P). Finally, to really make things fun, the rear door will randomly start locking repeatedly as if someone keeps hitting the lock switch. Neither key is accidentally being pressed and this locking seems to coincide with the "blinking" of the dash lights when trying to crank the engine, though they do not happen at the same time since the key is off when the door lock thing occurs. I tried connecting a backup battery charger to get it to crank with no luck. When I disconnected it, I could hear almost a "bubbling" sound coming from the battery (very faint) that ALSO seems to be following the same cadence as everything else.

Is this a shorted battery? What am I dealing with here? My plan is to use my wifes car to swing by Costco after work and grab a new battery. Am I barking up the wrong tree? I've never dealt with anything like this before. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Another no-start topic, but this one is fun!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:35 pm 
LOST Addict

It sure seems like a bad battery.
Best to get it tested.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:17 am 
LOST Junkie

Definitely sounds like a bad battery, bad battery connections or bad grounding straps. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wow, yeah it's a battery issue. Don't mess around, if those things rupture or gas it gets nasty.

I would suggest AGM, but do whatever your wallet allows. I'm very happy with my Sears P1 Platinum, but there are lots of other companies that do AGM and end up cheaper.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:45 am 
LOST Member

Mine is doing the same thing (without the door lock clicking) this morning. No start, solenoid clicks, no crank, and the dash/console lights blink on-off-on-off-on-off repeatedly.

My battery has been just fine, but maybe it's time to double check that.

We'll see what I can figure out.

APC9199, did you figure out the cause / fix for your's?

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:23 pm 
LOST Member

I would check the ground cable to the frame. I know every time I reconnect my battery, when it has been out, I hear the rear door latch click.

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:57 pm 
LOST Member

Replaced the Battery, and it works just fine now.

Hopefully I don't have some slow short / draw somewhere that caused the other battery to die, so I'll keep an eye on it.

On the plus side, I figured out that we can use the larger Interstate Battery from Costco ($89.95 + $15.00 core = $104.95 with 42 Month full replacement) and make it fit in the tray by simply trimming engine-side tray edge & the headlight-side clip edge, to make a snug fit while still using the bolt-down wedge.

Here are the details of the Battery (BCI Group Size: 65, Fitment Code: 4, Costco Item#: 850259, CCA: 850, CA: 1000, Reserve Capacity: 150 Size: 12"L x 7-7/16"W x 7-5/8"H)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7InKIvnNS4oSUJQSzNTaXJkR2tCZDgzNVNDMlZmTFVzazRF/view?usp=sharing

Great alternative, for a great price.

Let me know if you need any more information.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

I've been running that same Costco battery for a few years. Works great. I also have a pair of them in my 02 powerstroke. You gotta love costcos warranty.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!