It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD JK NOOB build plan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

hello to everyone at LOST.

I just entered the jeepin' family and am starting to make plans for my silver 2005 CRD Liberty Sport come this time next year. In the mean time, I'm cleaning and maintaining my 120k CRD. This week I'll be changing fluids and filters, cleaning sensors, checking tubes, and making sure that blasted timing belt was changed at 100k. Regardless, I decided to post my future build plans for any feedback that might be out there. This will be my daily driver and weekend toy. Let the fun begin!

1. Engine Mods
I found out that the Torque Converter (ToCo) has been swapped under the F37 Recall. So, for the mean time I'm going to get the standard GDE tune to protect my pansy ToCo. I'll see how I like that and perhaps someday put the Euro ToCo in and GDE Turbo Kit.

In addition to the tune, I'll help the CRD breathe better by openin up the air box with one of the guides and Lost. After that I'll straight pipe the CRD and make it a clean 2.5" all the way through. My GINOURMOUS muffler looks pretty rusty anyway.

My CRD came with the Fummoto, so that was nice.

2. Suspension Mods w/wheels & tires
My goal in lifting the vehicle is to improve the ride whilst increasing clearance and articulation. For wheels and tires I'm planning on getting some TJ MOAB's with 235/85/16 Cooper ST MAXX rubber. I like how the wheels look, and I had the tires on my truck before I traded it and liked them a lot. I think a 2.5" lift should be sufficient to clear the skinny wheels. Also, I read that 235's allow the rear window to clear. :rockon:

One thing I am not decided on is the lift. The best options I see out there are the OME Frankenlift II or the JBA Adjust a strut. JBA A arms. I haven't really found much comparing these two lifts. Any insight would be helpful.

3. Bumbers
I want solid front bumper primarily to protect the KJ from critters. After that, it may well as have shackles and a 2" receiver hitch if ever I need a winch. I don't love the ARB because it sticks out so much. If possible I'd like to buy or build one from Aluminum. Are there any on the market? Otherwise, I'll be loosely following the Liberator concept.

4. Interior Mods
I was spoiled in my last vehicle, so I'm going to have to upgrade the Audio. Nothing crazy, just going to amp and modestly upgrade all the speakers, change the head unit so I can have hands free calling, and make a 8-10" sub enclosure to replace the gate panel. Besides that, I'll be adding switches for Aux lighting, seat covers, weathertechs, and my RAM X-grip phone mount.

5. Protection
Rust is just starting to show up on my 120k libby, so I need to rustproof it. After that, rock sliders may be in the distant future if I need them. I have plates on the bottom as is and most of my offroading is in the clay we have around Fargo, ND. So I may not need them.

Please let me know if you have any insights, as the title says, I'm a noob.

-Polak

Post subject: Re: CRD JK NOOB build plan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Everything you are asking about can be found somewhere here on LOST.

GDE + exhaust is a good way to go.
Lots of lift options. JBA has everything you will need and no need to go crazy. 2.5 inches is the limit.
The only off the shelf bumper is made by ARB. Otherwise, weld you own or find someone to do it for you.
I could care less about car audio. IMO, once you get your exhaust set up, you will find your engine much more interesting to listen to.