It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TRANSMISSION LAG
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:12 am 
LOST Newbie

OK Just signed up to the board he is the issue, 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD NO-Mods, all original, 159000 on clock at 100K had timing belt changed, i am second owner owned since 40K. In morning find that i have to let the Jeep run for a couple minutes or if i try to pull away have to have high revs before the trans will allow me to move does not clunk or do any sudden movements when it does engage just high rev then slowly goes once hot will engage fine. Issue seems to be when sat all night or after long periods. Never had fluid changed but according to dip stick full at cold and hot Red/Orange in color.

My thoughts need fluid change perhaps lost viscosity like oil does?
Transmission pump going out? yet does run fine once going for day?

Post subject: Re: TRANSMISSION LAG
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:35 am 
LOST Addict

I'd do a transmission fluid change with atf+4 and new original mopar filters from idparts.com. Spin on filter has an anti drain valve that may have gone bad. And in 160k, I wouldn't be surprised... Also, fill to the mark then add 1/2 qt more atf+4, the dipstick is going too low in the pan doesn’t show the right amount. And really, do a Trans fluid change, you'll be surprised how much dirt you'll find on the bottom of the pan.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Transmission likes to be really full so:
1. try adding 1 qt of ATF+4 and see if that helps. If not.
2. there is a good chance you have the transmission fluid drain back problem. When you first crank up after sitting like 8 hrs put the transmission in neutral and hold a high idle (ca. 1500 rpm) for say 30 seconds. If the problem goes away service the transmission with name brand filters (flat and spin on) and ATF+4. One of those filters has a check valve that's supposed to keep fluid from draining out of the torque converter but...

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:06 am 
LOST Newbie

OK now i maybe seeing some issues is there two filters on this trans one inside the unit and one that can be replace spin on. I know about the fuel filter and have changed that regular but i did not know about a trans filter that i need to change any pictures. Thanks for the feed back.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Both transmission filters are inside the transmission pan. They and the fluid should be changed about every 50,000 miles. WIX has a kit (58843) that contains both filters and the pan gasket. See http://smile.amazon.com/Wix-58843-Autom ... =wix+58843

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

as an aside check your wiring harness behind the alternator. Mine had a nasty burr on the alternator brace that wore a hole in the harness and started grounding one of the transmission control wires. If yours decides to ground the temp sensor wire it could make for some bad mojo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:19 am 
LOST Newbie

I just changed my transmission fluid and filter but experience the exact same lag when I first start it up.

20DDan
-2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:29 am 
LOST Addict

20DDan wrote:
I just changed my transmission fluid and filter but experience the exact same lag when I first start it up.

+1, new filters and liberal filling made zero difference to my drainback experience.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok update i did add an extra 1/2 quart and it made a difference in take off. The color and consistency of new fluid was very different than color which was almost see through with a ting of red and consistency that was almost watery. So a complete fluid and filter change is in order and the next item on list.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
You may find (as I have) that these transmissions like to run with an excess of fluid. The dipstick is too long and bottoms in the pan, leading to a way-too-low level. A "normal" transmission fluid change is 7 quarts according to the book, but I have found that you may need as much as 9 quarts to get the transmission to run right.

Trust your gut and how it feels to operate. It cannot open and close the valves without hydraulic pressure to do the work after the valve moves, and pressure comes from the fluid. Running with even 2 quarts extra will NOT bother this transmission, the system is enormous and can easily absorb some more juice in the tubes. There was a member who had figured out a grainger check valve to install on the outside of the transmission that may help you if the filters didn't change the behavior. Search the CRD section for "grainger check valve" (no quotes) and you should find it.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am experiencing the same lag. Going to add an extra quart of Castrol ATF+4 tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:13 pm 

dirtmover wrote:
20DDan wrote:

+1, new filters and liberal filling made zero difference to my drain-back experience.

A simple and cheap solution to the issue on cold startups is to place the transmission in the neutral position immediately after startup for about 10-15 seconds and then place transmission in drive or reverse as needed and go about your merry way.... :wink:
This is a common problem on many Chrysler automatic transmissions.... :(
My Jeep did this till I had the front pump assembly replaced....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok i have purchased the new filters and am going to switch them out.