It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Autel Maxidas DS808
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:02 pm 
LOST Member

I have been looking at higher end scanners for some time, and I finally decided to go with the Autel Maxidas DS808 which I purchased on Amazon for $749 (regular $799 but I somehow got $50 off through wikibuy). You can look the unit up on Amazon for details. I'll detail how it interacts with my Liberty.

1. The autodetect for the VIN does not work, but once the VIN is entered manually, it will recognize my car as a 2006 CRD Liberty.

2. The connection to the car seems intermittent upon start up (sometimes it connects and other times it doesn't) but I might just need to get the procedure down. It seems to have issues if I save the vehicle in the garage, and try to reload it without manually re-entering the VIN. Re-entering the VIN each time it tedious. Once the connection is made, there seems to be no issue.

3. I have access to the ECM, TCM, BCM, and ABS to some extent.

4. I can change the tire size in the BCM, but when I enter the revolutions per mile in the BCM, the speedometer reads about 50% to slow. I read somewhere on DRBIII cars the tire size needed to be changed in the BCM and the ABS, but this is a StarScan car, and I can't find an option in the ABS to change tire size.

5. I have been having trouble with a wheel sensor, and the DS808 identified it as the right rear. Got one on order.

6. I tried to monitor the MAP in realtime, but I haven't found it yet if it exists in the DS808. I can monitor other OBD2 functions like throttle position.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

Post subject: Re: Autel Maxidas DS808
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My Autel 906BT is hit or miss on CRD's but both of my Snap On scanners connect 100% of the time with zero issues(Solus Ultra and Modis),granted they cost 6-10 times as much.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Anyone know what the cheapest one is that will change tire size successfully? I fear the dealer will somehow do something terrible to my Jeep!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:52 am 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
My Autel 906BT is hit or miss on CRD's but both of my Snap On scanners connect 100% of the time with zero issues(Solus Ultra and Modis),granted they cost 6-10 times as much.

6-10 times as much? Holy crap! So $4800-8000? Or 6-10 times the 906 which is$6k-10K? I thought $750 was a fortune. I guess I fumble around with the DS808. Can a Starscan emulator be had for under $500? I see these witech things on ebay, and I had a key made at a dealer, and I think that's what the tech tried because there was something wrong with their starscan. He ended up using their DRBIII which I guess was good enough to program a key.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dent wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

6-10 times as much? Holy crap! So $4800-8000? Or 6-10 times the 906 which is$6k-10K? I thought $750 was a fortune. I guess I fumble around with the DS808. Can a Starscan emulator be had for under $500? I see these witech things on ebay, and I had a key made at a dealer, and I think that's what the tech tried because there was something wrong with their starscan. He ended up using their DRBIII which I guess was good enough to program a key.

My Solus Ultra was $5000,add European and all OBDI connectors your at another $1000,then $1000 a year to update.

The Modis was $8000,and again with European software(uses the same OBDI connector set as my Solus) that adds $600 and again $1000 per year to update.

You have to pay to get the best access when OEM scan tools are not a option(and those can range from $5000-$10,000 each).Snap On makes most of the OEM scan tools anyways so you will always have better luck with Snap On branded scanners then any others besides actual OEM scan tools.

Those knock off OE scan tool emulators really don't work most of the time and the newer vehicles have programs now that can sense them and lock everything up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:15 pm 
LOST Member

I have a Launch Xpro 3 and it won't read live data but always connects and I've done all kinds of things with it on a oe level, programmed keys, disabled autolock, turned off headlights on keyfob locking. Changed tire size, and did a relearn on the transmission. Found/ Fixed a couple abs issues as well. Only thing I hate is the live data thing. My older diagun 2, read live data fine. Not sure what they broke.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
tjkj2002 wrote:
Dent wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

My Solus Ultra was $5000,add European and all OBDI connectors your at another $1000,then $1000 a year to update.

The Modis was $8000,and again with European software(uses the same OBDI connector set as my Solus) that adds $600 and again $1000 per year to update.

You have to pay to get the best access when OEM scan tools are not a option(and those can range from $5000-$10,000 each).Snap On makes most of the OEM scan tools anyways so you will always have better luck with Snap On branded scanners then any others besides actual OEM scan tools.

Those knock off OE scan tool emulators really don't work most of the time and the newer vehicles have programs now that can sense them and lock everything up.

Absolutely X100%
If you are working on a fleet of Mopars only, your best deal is a Starscan or DRBIII.
For working on all vehicles with any random problem involving E. Controls, Snap-On is a league of it's own.
$3-5K for the mopar only tools. Snap-on are only affordable if you make your living using them.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dez wrote:
I have a Launch Xpro 3 and it won't read live data but always connects and I've done all kinds of things with it on a oe level, programmed keys, disabled autolock, turned off headlights on keyfob locking. Changed tire size, and did a relearn on the transmission. Found/ Fixed a couple abs issues as well. Only thing I hate is the live data thing. My older diagun 2, read live data fine. Not sure what they broke.

Some GM's you can reprogram keyfobs with a paper clip instead of using the scan tool as they built in a "back door".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Dez wrote:

What kinds of live data could you see. VNT Duty cycle?