It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best average MPG a CRD could get with mods?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:00 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm thinking with stock sagged suspension and most of the mods of the Eco Jeep thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81072
especially all 4x4 components being removed, a grill block, LRR tires, GDE eco tune, and transmission tune.

I'm debating between a second CRD like this, or a high mpg car. I'm thinking a person could average 40 mpg if they had open roads and didn't exceed 55 (that's the speed limit where I'll be driving most).

I know I got 40 mpg (not average) with an almost stock one with only deleting the EGR, and this was at 65 mph on a fairly flat highway. No LRR tires, or anything else exciting. Just set the cruise and man, I almost wish I kept that magic CRD... It had about 160k miles on it, new rockers, and timing set was it.

What do you think?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Post subject: Re: Best average MPG a CRD could get with mods?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Without going too overboard 35 should be reasonable (best I've seen is 33.9 GPS confirmed hand calculated) but 40 is a stretch unless all you driving is downhill in which case well up into the 70s is possible.

GDE EcoTune in my experience will get an increase of 20% in mpg: GDE transmission tune won't do much for mpg unless your driving is mostly in town where lower speed lockup helps EXCEPT if you want to cruise on hwy at 55 in which case the basic GDE transmission tune may help you hold 5th gear full lockup; TDF's thermostat housing with a higher temp than stock tstat may help a bit; I'm not convinced but my son says his Magnaflow Muffler #12226 helped and he does get better mpg than me; might consider gutting cat but not removing housing so inspectors can "see" that it's there; low rolling resistance tires or just add more air, within reason, to your existing tires; anything that improves the aerodynamics of our "brick"; not sure if the cost of a different rear end ratio is worth the mpg gain.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:13 pm 
LOST Addict

IDK, man.
Every CRD seems to behave a little bit different.

IMO, get a Liberty CRD because you like its on and off road capabilities.
But if what you really is a car with high MPG, get a Golf TDI, a Jetta TDI, or a Prius.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

flash7210 wrote:
get a Golf TDI, a Jetta TDI

You can buy those for a few dollars here,not many places here will take 1 in trade anymore.also don't expect 35mpg+ from them once the mandatory fix is made(sure some sort of verification of fix will be required to register them).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:56 pm 
LOST Addict

good thoughts, thanks! One big advantage over the prius is this could still take me to most places I go when there's no snow on the ground, and it could be a much better tow vehicle (lighter, lower COG, better gear ratio maybe, more power), although I might have to mess with the rear suspension a bit.

I would put a DTT in the rear dif just like what 65corvair is building. Basically the same idea.

Makes sense for everyone that doesn't need the 4wd also, probably without the DTT for most people.

I'm in one somewhat trashed CRD about 2k, could probably make what I'm thinking for a total of $4000 with ARP's, E-fan...
Pretty nice prius out there for $6k with salvage title. hmm

That will be really lame if they ruin all of the VW's that get 45-60mpg's

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:13 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
get a Golf TDI, a Jetta TDI

You can buy those for a few dollars here,not many places here will take 1 in trade anymore.also don't expect 35mpg+ from them once the mandatory fix is made(sure some sort of verification of fix will be required to register them).

TDI models from before 2009 were not effected by the scandal and are not part of any kind of recall.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:16 pm 
LOST Member

Best Mod I ever did was veg oil conversion on CRD, 150 miles per gallon of diesel purchased Average.

Not practical for most people but really worked.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:19 am 
LOST Addict

Greasey Bob wrote:
Best Mod I ever did was veg oil conversion on CRD, 150 miles per gallon of diesel purchased Average.

Not practical for most people but really worked.

I'd be all about that if I lived down South (and had a supply of oil). Up North I think it would just be a nightmare of gelled diesel.

Thinking back to how much diesel is up here, I should get a gasser for road use, and then I can justify making my KJ much more beastly also :rockon: :JEEPIN:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:09 am 
LOST Addict

I have to believe you can get high 30's or maybe 40 with all the mods. I have seen 36(evics said like 37.1) hand calculated with no mods but the GDE hot tune and weeks elbow. I had stock tires, stock fan etc etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:22 am 
LOST Addict

hmm, 36 is pretty good. I forget that I had the mechanical fan off of the one I got 40 on, and the thermostat was partially stuck closed, so it ran a little warmer than most :lol:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
hmm, 36 is pretty good. I forget that I had the mechanical fan off of the one I got 40 on, and the thermostat was partially stuck closed, so it ran a little warmer than most :lol:

Yeah, removing the mech fan has given me about an extra 1.5mpg but I still only peak at about 31mpg with a 50:50 highway/rural road mix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:49 pm 
LOST Addict

dirtmover wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Yeah, removing the mech fan has given me about an extra 1.5mpg but I still only peak at about 31mpg with a 50:50 highway/rural road mix

I'm pretty luck for most of my driving. I can set the cruise at 55 on one highway, and 65 on the freeway and the roads are flat enough to where the engine can run really efficiently. There are a few big grades that put a big dent in my mileage though. That stock jeep averaged 30 though, and that was with a few trips up into high elevations and some off road. I was trying pretty hard to get that high of an average though. If I drove like a normal person it probably would have been 25, although I wasn't going all out, and didn't use pulse and glide or corner cutting. I just accelerate slowly most of the time, and didn't exceed 65 mph, lots of cruise control when the roads were mostly flat. oh, and I wedge my foot on hilly areas letting my speed change (remote areas, no cars behind me), versus spending a lot more fuel to stay right at a certain speed over every hill.

That was summertime mpg also...

Mech fan, VH & AC delete