It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: P0234 being addressed ...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:06 pm 
LOST Addict

With the engine running at idle, the vacuum to the turbo actuator should be high and the actuator lever at the full up position.
Then disconnect the vacuum line to the turbo and watch the lever drop.
Re connect the vacuum line and watch it pull up again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:09 am 
LOST Addict

Make sure the turbo is fully assembled when checking the vane travel using the post listed above.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:42 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks you two! I'll do that assessment when I return from being out of state.

Thanks for the details and the help.

*fist-bump*

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:41 pm 
LOST Member

Well from all the tests and replacement parts thus far, I am at a loss as to why I am still getting the P0234 CEL when I accelerate and push the RPMs between 3200-3800 for 4-5 seconds.

I am gonna try to replace all the vacuum lines and hoses to see if there is a leak causing this CEL.

If that doesn't fix it, I'll be pulling out the Turbo, dismantling it, and cleaning it through and through.

Bring on the fun!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:43 pm 
LOST Addict

The problem is over boost, correct?
High vacuum = high boost
Low vacuum = low boost
If there was a vacuum leak, there would be low vacuum to the turbo and therefore low boost.
So a vacuum leak is not the problem.

A over boost code occurs when boost goes high, says high, and doesnt come back down quick enough to satisfy the ECM.
The problem is either with the turbo, the boost control solenoid, or the MAP sensor.

I say, if the code only occures at 3200+ rpm, dont rev it over 3200 rpm.
There are ways of fooling the MAP sensor so that the ECM thinks boost is lower than it actually is, but I would recommend installing a boost gauge before trying that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:05 pm 
LOST Member

"I'm not sure how to go about "applying full vacuum to the turbo actuator and then let off the pressure" and see the actuator move."

You can use something along the lines of a "Mighty-Vac" tool. They are used for bleeding brakes, testing vacuum operated components, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:11 pm 
LOST Member

... still working on trying to figure out the source of this Overboost...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Did you ever rectify this problem? I have a 2006 that I have just finished re assembling after an engine replacement due to a valve failure. I’m currently getting the P0234 fault along with a few others associated with the egr delete. The vehicle accelerates well at first start up but after I left off the accelerator pedal the fault sets and puts the vehicle in limp mode. Is this your experience? Turbo has good travel and the vacuum bypass doesn’t make a difference either. Any easy way to verify that the MAP sensor is functioning properly?

1991 Jeep Wrangler (sold)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:52 am 

connolcj wrote:
Did you ever rectify this problem? I have a 2006 that I have just finished re assembling after an engine replacement due to a valve failure. I’m currently getting the P0234 fault along with a few others associated with the egr delete. The vehicle accelerates well at first start up but after I left off the accelerator pedal the fault sets and puts the vehicle in limp mode. Is this your experience? Turbo has good travel and the vacuum bypass doesn’t make a difference either. Any easy way to verify that the MAP sensor is functioning properly?

Order one of the GM PN: 55206797 MAP sensor and swap it out. That will rule out the MAP sensor as the issue.
The GM PN is a Bosch part but the cost is only around $20 bucks. Plenty of them listed on line on Amazon and many others. :google:
IDParts also has this part:> https://www.idparts.com/map-sensor-libe ... -2859.html

GM PN: 55206797
Bosch PN: 68031593AA

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
connolcj wrote:

Order one of the GM PN: 55206797 MAP sensor and swap it out. That will rule out the MAP sensor as the issue.
The GM PN is a Bosch part but the cost is only around $20 bucks. Plenty of them listed on line on Amazon and many others. :google:
IDParts also has this part:> https://www.idparts.com/map-sensor-libe ... -2859.html

GM PN: 55206797
Bosch PN: 68031593AA

Ok, I went ahead and ordered a sensor from idparts so we will see if it makes a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:21 pm 

connolcj wrote:
Ok, I went ahead and ordered a sensor from idparts so we will see if it makes a difference.

Be sure and post the results. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:37 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
connolcj wrote:

Be sure and post the results. :D

New sensor came in and it didn't make a difference. I also double checked the solenoid bypass and it appears to be correct. The only thing I can think to do is to pull the turbo back off and try to open it up so I can clean the vanes. Based on what Flash describes I should be having an over vacuum condition which means the vanes are open too much. I guess their is possible soot buildup in the vanes preventing them from fulling closing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:48 am 
LOST Member

That is what happened to mine. The vanes were stuck. I took it off, cleaned the turbo vanes with Oven cleaner, cleared out the sludge and vacuumed out everything else with a heavy duty shopvac. I made sure the vanes moved easily, and put it back on, and then it was good as new.

I'm actually going to be upgrading my turbo with the Joe Kirian turbo in a few weeks here.

I'm excited to see how that one performs.