It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to do?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:08 am 
LOST Newbie

My 06 CRD has approx 138000 miles on it. Is there anything that I should be doing or looking for? The timing belt as been changed and the trans has been hot flushed. I'd appreciate any advice.

Post subject: Re: What to do?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:05 am 
LOST Member

Alternator decoupler pulley
Water pump (I hope it was changed at timing belt swap)
Fuel filter head update
Viscous fan pulley/bearing change.....and nearly every front engine mounted pulley or bearing
New glow plugs

And the trans flush is a bit of a joke. Drop the pan and change both filters! Flushes don't do anything for dirty filters.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:46 am 
LOST Addict

Keep an eye on your coolant level.
Check hoses for leaks.
If you havent already, find a way to delete, block, or disable your egr valve.
Check front and rear driveshaft joints.
Change transfer case fluid.
Change front and rear differential oils.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:34 am 
LOST Addict

Sarge48 wrote:
My 06 CRD has approx 138000 miles on it. Is there anything that I should be doing or looking for? The timing belt as been changed and the trans has been hot flushed. I'd appreciate any advice.

GDE Tune, glow plugs, weeks elbow kit, ARP head studs, and check the play in the turbo shaft. If it has significant play, replace it along with the hose that will probably come in two when you pull it.
Oh, and new rockers. Put about $2-3k in parts in these CRD's and you'll have a reliable long term relationship :2cents:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I sure like the vehicle, but being an old retired guy with no diesel mechanic available close, I guess I'll sell it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

At 138,000 miles with TB done, not clear when, you are mostly looking at standard vehicle maintenance, not particularly CRD specific, that can be done by any competent shop.

As to the listed stuff, let's break it down.
Alternator decoupler pulley - at idle in park, shine flashlight down past airbox to serpentine idler pulley, if barely bouncing there is nothing to do; if dancing decoupler needs replacing but can be done by any decent auto electric place
Water pump (I hope it was changed at timing belt swap) - ideally should have been but likely ok to 200k
Fuel filter head update - if has blue electric plug it's already done, if not any shop can undo 2 bolts/2 plugs/2 hoses/splice in new wiring and bolt on new head (comes with new filter)
Viscous fan pulley/bearing change.....and nearly every front engine mounted pulley or bearing - no routine viscous heater bearing replacement needed, other bearings should be replaced during belt jobs if leaking grease (Note serpentine belt is routine maintenance on all vehicles at ca. 50K intervals)
New glow plugs - if you have ceramics it's a good idea to replace with metal BUT you can live with the ceramics if you plan on immediately replacing them as soon as you get a glow plug CEL. Can be done by any decent mechanic although removal of intake elbow is a pain (reinstall with studs and nuts)
Keep an eye on your coolant level - same as any vehicle
Check hoses for leaks - same as any vehicle. Note OEM spring clamps loose tension with age and ideally should not be reused with hose replacement.
If you havent already, find a way to delete, block, or disable your egr valve - unplug MAF sensor but that triggers a CEL, depending where you are someone nearby may have gear to flash ECU to disable EGR with a free tune
Check front and rear driveshaft joints - same as gasser 4-wheel KJ
Change transfer case fluid - same as gasser 4-wheel KJ
Change front and rear differential oils - like all fluids a routine maintenance item
GDE Tune, weeks elbow kit, ARP head studs, and check the play in the turbo shaft. If it has significant play, replace it along with the hose that will probably come in two when you pull it. - nice but not critical except for turbo shaft play which should be checked at oil change intervals if possible; any shop that can use a screwdriver can check.
Oh, and new rockers - not a routine maintenance item. As long as timing is ok and you do regular oil changes (6K ideal) they should be fine although EGR delete helps life by keeping soot in oil low.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs