It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abs wheel speed sensor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have been having random abs error light issues ever since I disconnected the wheel speed sensors from the hubs for a ball joint replacement. It was random and would reset itself when I drove over 7 mph like it should. Within the last week, the light has came on and now stayed on.The shop scanned it last week and told me both front speed sensors are sending codes. I have replaced both front wheel speed sensors and the light is still on. I cannot find any troubleshooting guide in the CRD manual. Is this possible to fix myself or do I need that crazy expensive scan tool? Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Abs wheel speed sensor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:06 am 
LOST Junkie

Is yours an 05? It might be the rear sensor on top of the differential

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

On 05s a known issue is a broken wire inside the insulation so you need to check continuity. If so new wire can be spliced in.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes it is 2005. The scanner at the shop claimed it was the front two sensors. I have read that the brake light will be illuminated if the rear sensor is at fault too, which is not happening in my case. But I will check the wiring of the rear just to make sure. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Does anyone else have suggestions on testing the front wheel speed sensors? Everything is pointing to the front right now but I still need to check the rear wires. Just trying to get a head start on anyone else's input for trouble shooting the front. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:51 am 
LOST Addict

How old are your bearings? New hub assemblies come with new sensors. You can get a set of skf for like 300-ish,plus minus, off of eBay.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:18 pm 
LOST Addict

I've had teeth come off of the tone gear in the front hubs, no problems with the sensor, but a physically missing tooth.

If you have a scan tool that lets you read data from the individual sensor you could see if the speed is showing off, or a oscilloscope hooked up to the signal would showing if a missing pattern were present.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

thermorex wrote:
How old are your bearings? New hub assemblies come with new sensors. You can get a set of skf for like 300-ish,plus minus, off of eBay.

I'm not sure how old the bearings are. I assume they are original and I have 148k miles on the jeep. I will see if the scanner can read wheel speed or maybe one of my enginerd friends have an oscillascope. Haven't used one of those since science lab, but thanks for the input! Hopefully I can find what's wrong with this before the snow falls up here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

If they are originals with that mileage Id say it's time for some new timkens. New abs sensors are included with those

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:30 am 
LOST Newbie

*update* I just checked all the continuity for all harnesses last night and everything checks out okay. I did not see any frays or corrosion what so ever. The only things I have left here are as follows:
1. Rear sensor is bad, but I don't have the brake light on and the speedometer seems fine.
2. Physically missing teeth on the gear in the front hubs.
3. Brand new front sensors are bad.
I have a hard time believing brand new sensors are bad and teeth just fall off the ring gear, but I am down to those last things.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:42 am 
LOST Newbie

*update*
I finally got this thing scanned at a shop. They claimed voltage is going into the anti-lock brake control module, but the incorrect voltage is coming out. So I have to find a replacement control module. When I look up the part numbers in the 2005 fiche I get 05140731AA and 05140733AB assuming I am in the C,M,U market? But a couple salvage yards around here only have part P52128852AD. Which one do I use?

**2005 CRD Limited**