It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is there a good thread on changing the front Upper Contr
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:06 am 
LOST Member

TowNGo wrote:
So, I've got a 2006 KJ CRD and I'm replacing most of the front suspension due to a garage's installation of the wrong struts (gas liberty springs are too weak) and they missed a failed ball joint. I have removed all but the front driver's side upper control arm bolt. The nut is off, but the bolt's removal is completely blocked by an ABS line. In the opinion of the masses and Mountainman, who seemed to indicate he also ran into this problem, is it easier to bend the offending line (only about an inch from the rusty connection through the wheel well) or cut the bolt off. Either way I intend to reverse the bolt during install. Not sure how much of a production it is to repair an ABS line if it gets nicked, crimped, or ruptures. Any thoughts? Image

You do not want to reverse the install, just move the line enough to remove the bolt.

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:21 am 
LOST Junkie

I'd have to double check to be sure since its been 2 years since changing mine, but I think I unbolted the line from the outside and then it could move easier out of the way to pull the a arm bolt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

jws84_02 wrote:
I'd have to double check to be sure since its been 2 years since changing mine, but I think I unbolted the line from the outside and then it could move easier out of the way to pull the a arm bolt

X2. There are a couple threads on Lost on changing the upper control arms. Search upper control arms in the kj territory

I have some posts on there from when I changed mine.

You take the bolt out from the outside of the inner fender and the line will be lose enough to easily move out of the way far enough to get the bolt out.

I used anti-seize putting everything back together.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

JrSavoie, spot on. Good memory. It allowed just enough movement of the offending brake line to get that bolt removed. Thanks for the tip and making things easier.