It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glow Plug Light doesnt come on
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:19 pm 
LOST Member

ive owned my 05 CRD for about a year now and when i turn the key to ON it has never illuminated the glow plug light. ive identified the pig tail light on the console but it never comes on, not in summer, not in winter when its below 20 Fahrenheit, not even a flicker, no CEL either. My best guess is that the pig tail light is burnt out but before i rip the dash apart i want to know if anyone else has experienced this and is there some trouble shooting method i can attempt.

Suncoast Torque Converter
2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Racor 245R122 fuel filter system
Model 001 Thermostat 41603
Iron Rock Tri-link

Post subject: Re: Glow Plug Light doesnt come on
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just moved to Alaska with my crd, I had similar concerns, other than a momentary flash my glowplug light never stayed on for more things a second. I still cycle the key 2-3 times for peace of mind. (Also figured out 20° is my threshold for plugging up the block heater)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes, you glow plug indicator light is probably bunt out.
But if your engine starts up when cold then I wouldnt worry about it.

Now, you say no CEL. How can ypu be sure that your CEL isnt burnt out?
You might want to hook up a code scanner just to be sure that you have no codes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:23 pm 
LOST Member

i know the CEL isnt burnt out because i can easly make the CEL turn on with the ORM. I just keep the MAF plugged in to keep the CEL off.

2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Iron Rock Tri-link

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You can check instrument cluster lights and gauge function by holding the trip odometer button while turning the ignition on. It will cycle through all bulbs and gauges. This is an actual function test that's separate from check light test that's run every time you switch the ignition on. I cannot find a nice simple summary of what it does in sequence but the 2006 FSM, which refers to this as the Instrument Cluster Self Test, (beginning on page 8J-65 and scattered thru various pages to 8J-87) does discuss what the test is supposed to do with respect to various lights and gauges on the dash. For 2005 owners the FSM, which refers to this as the Instrument Cluster Actuator Test, does not provide the same level of detail but the procedure is briefly outlined beginning on page 8J-8. Oddly the separate 2005 KJ Body manual does have more detail and refers to the test as the Instrument Cluster Self Test. Go figure. Per lgoodbar the analog gauge needle postions in this test are: Fuel: E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, F; Temp: C, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, F; Speedometer: 0, 30, 60, 90, 120; and Tachometer: 0, 1000, 3000, 5000.

If the GP light does not come one the LED may be burned out. Email me and I can send you a how to on replacing the LED,

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:46 pm 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
You can check instrument cluster lights and gauge function by holding the trip odometer button while turning the ignition on. It will cycle through all bulbs and gauges. This is an actual function test that's separate from check light test that's run every time you switch the ignition on. I cannot find a nice simple summary of what it does in sequence but the 2006 FSM, which refers to this as the Instrument Cluster Self Test, (beginning on page 8J-65 and scattered thru various pages to 8J-87) does discuss what the test is supposed to do with respect to various lights and gauges on the dash. For 2005 owners the FSM, which refers to this as the Instrument Cluster Actuator Test, does not provide the same level of detail but the procedure is briefly outlined beginning on page 8J-8. Oddly the separate 2005 KJ Body manual does have more detail and refers to the test as the Instrument Cluster Self Test. Go figure. Per lgoodbar the analog gauge needle postions in this test are: Fuel: E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, F; Temp: C, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, F; Speedometer: 0, 30, 60, 90, 120; and Tachometer: 0, 1000, 3000, 5000.

If the GP light does not come one the LED may be burned out. Email me and I can send you a how to on replacing the LED,

I performed this instrument cluster self test, and much to my surprise was the glow plug light did come on. Because this test appears to bi-pass the functionality, my next guess would be a possible bad relay?

2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Iron Rock Tri-link

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:15 pm 
LOST Addict

JBDeVega wrote:
papaindigo wrote:

I performed this instrument cluster self test, and much to my surprise was the glow plug light did come on. Because this test appears to bi-pass the functionality, my next guess would be a possible bad relay?

If you had a bad glow plug or glow plug controller, the CEL should come on.
Since your engine seems to be starting up just fine when cold, I dont see a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:53 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
If you had a bad glow plug or glow plug controller, the CEL should come on.
Since your engine seems to be starting up just fine when cold, I dont see a problem.

the lack of a CEL is what makes me think im dealing with a bad relay.
it starts up like any normal diesel in the cold, sometimes have to double crank it if the first crank doesnt work. Not really a big issue but it would be nice if it works how its suppose to.

2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Iron Rock Tri-link

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:32 pm 
LOST Member

so i was able to get the pig tail to come on intermediately by playing with the Glow Plug relay. So i replaced it and it worked intermediately for a while then stopped working again. then my CEL came on with P1010 and P0670. May be related to each other but im thinking there separate problems. Any fresh ideas?

2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Iron Rock Tri-link