It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dyno Results 05 CRD. Stock vs tuned.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Sir Sam wrote:
Jwarren wrote:

I do not have a boost gauge so I am not sure. I will adjust the tune to add rail pressure without the power puck then I can post it over there. I want to run it on the dyno without power puck. My ECM is not on that list I had to start from scratch its an 05 but not the 811.

What software number is yours? Can you post your stock bin file?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ilp8fh5smnnc ... y.Bin?dl=0

Here is the hottest tune I've tested this is the 209-211HP tune. I'm open to any suggestions for changes in it. EGR is still on so EGR is not changed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/atnasrc2czmpa ... 0RWHP?dl=0

JD3020 wrote:
Hows the smoke at that power level? Still fairly clean or is it about out of air?

Puts out just a faint tint of smoke during the run.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:42 am 
LOST Member

As you turn up the power you might also find gains by adding in an intake fuel pump. I used one from a cummins and they make a world of difference in smoothness and totally eliminate any air intrusion issues. Being a diesel shop, you might even have some of these laying around, or can get one for a steal. Should help keep the CP3 happy when your moving alot of fuel.

Im glad we were able to get some typical dyno numbers from your dyno. It certainly helps give us a frame of reference. Just to recap you are currently running on the dyno in 3rd gear with the OD switch off? How are you keeping it from kicking down at 2K?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Jwarren wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
Jwarren wrote:

I do not have a boost gauge so I am not sure. I will adjust the tune to add rail pressure without the power puck then I can post it over there. I want to run it on the dyno without power puck. My ECM is not on that list I had to start from scratch its an 05 but not the 811.

What software number is yours? Can you post your stock bin file?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ilp8fh5smnnc ... y.Bin?dl=0

Here is the hottest tune I've tested this is the 209-211HP tune. I'm open to any suggestions for changes in it. EGR is still on so EGR is not changed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/atnasrc2czmpa ... 0RWHP?dl=0

Interesting, you have 533 software. Can you post the build date of your CRD? If you check for open recalls on Chrysler's website does it show any? I'm just curious why some of us seem to have different software and what caused it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

I will check on build date.

funnyman06 wrote:
As you turn up the power you might also find gains by adding in an intake fuel pump. I used one from a cummins and they make a world of difference in smoothness and totally eliminate any air intrusion issues. Being a diesel shop, you might even have some of these laying around, or can get one for a steal. Should help keep the CP3 happy when your moving alot of fuel.

Im glad we were able to get some typical dyno numbers from your dyno. It certainly helps give us a frame of reference. Just to recap you are currently running on the dyno in 3rd gear with the OD switch off? How are you keeping it from kicking down at 2K?

I am going to be doing a lot with this build yet. Planning on a larger cp3 and a fuel system possibly a set of 50% over nozzles and a small holset turbo.

As long as OD is off and mph is 50mph I can put it to the wood. I start at 40mph and roll into it a pin it by 50.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:
Planning on a larger cp3

Like, how?
A CRD CP3 and a Duramax CP3 are pretty much the same. The differences are all internal.
And I think their MPROP valves are different although I dont know why.

Quote:
possibly a set of 50% over nozzles

There was another guy here who had his extrude honed. Took a lot of ECM tuning to get it right.

Quote:
a small holset turbo

He also had a custom turbo setup for him.
It was a lot of work, required adapter plate for the exhaust manifold, and because it had a traditional wastegate the ECM had to be programmed to forget about any kind of turbo control.

BTW,
What SirSam is wanting to know is if your CRD has had the F37 recall performed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Tuning for bigger nozzles shouldn't be that difficult, assuming they are quality nozzles and a healthy CP3 that will hold pressure. Hell i'm tuning a set of 200% nozzles on my 7.3, it can run as clean and clear as a stock truck all day long while grossing over 20k lbs. Just gotta pay attention to how fast you ramp in PW and pressure.

I started thinking about how a s360 or s362 would do on one of these in dirt drags, but i had to remind myself that used longblocks cost way to much for me to play with. :banghead:

1997 F-250 ECLB 7.3/E4OD/4wd, 215k miles: FFD 250/200%'s, Swamps IDM, built trans. Tuned by me

2001 F-450 crew cab, XLT ZF-6 7.3: 6637, shimmed 910's, in-tank mods, PHP tunes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

So the 2.8 CRD cp3 and the 5.9l cp3 are about the same in size? I just assumed the 2.8crd would be a smaller displacement pump. I know the 5.9 has 7.5mm plungers.

We got a good company we use for extrude honing. I run 400% over in our completion trucks. Tuning wast bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Jwarren wrote:
So the 2.8 CRD cp3 and the 5.9l cp3 are about the same in size? I just assumed the 2.8crd would be a smaller displacement pump. I know the 5.9 has 7.5mm plungers.

We got a good company we use for extrude honing. I run 400% over in our completion trucks. Tuning wast bad.

I actually have no idea the plunger size on the CRD. I would assume the plungers would be smaller too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:21 pm 
LOST Member

I love where this is going.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:56 am 
LOST Junkie

Where at in NW PA? Im in north central ohio, about 30min south of sandusky. I installed a ball bearing and billet gt2863 turbo. Its a bit big for towing, but otherwise it puts out 30+psi of boost and hauls the mail. Also had injectors honed 30%, would love to get some dyno/tune time on it.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:25 pm 
LOST Addict

With the honed injectors, there will be 2 or 3 sets of maps you may need to play with to get it right. That is the Torque to Injection Quantity converter, Start of Injection maps(there are 6 in my 808 tune) and Duration maps(there are 12 in my 808 tune). If you play with the Torque to IQ maps, you can make it so your actual Torque request map does not need to be altered and you can use the actual torque numbers you are trying to achieve. Then you can adjust the TQ to IQ map to account for the higher flow injector. The duration maps may not need to be changed if you can make all the edits in the TQ-IQ map though since it should cut back the duration based on the new, smaller injection quantity requests.

My factory Duration maps are only good up to certain injection quantity/torque. I dont know if the ECU is smart enough to extrapolate beyond that or if it just see the maximum value and refuses to inject for any longer than the map dictates.

Do you have any idea what kind of rail pressure you are running at with the powerpuck? Can you use Torque Pro or some other OBD tool to monitor it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Did anyone ever dig into this stock tune? Comparing the original numbers to the liberty advertised numbers, I wonder if it's pre F37?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:08 am 
LOST Addict

aaronguy2k1 wrote:
Did anyone ever dig into this stock tune? Comparing the original numbers to the liberty advertised numbers, I wonder if it's pre F37?

It looks like it is and I would imagine that the chances are pretty high that it got F37'd. The odd thing is he is making as much at the wheels as the stock tune is claimed to make at the crank.

I am curious how much is left in the stock setup. The unanswered question for me is how much pressure does the powerpuck fake the Injection system into running at. I think our systems are designed for like 24,600 psi or something but i am not sure how much higher you can go. Ideally this would all be done in the tune but unfortunately the maps in the tune cap out at ~24600. I dont know if the ECU would be smart enough to extrapolate beyond that or if you would need to make massive changes to the maps.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:11 am 
LOST Member

jws84_02 wrote:
funnyman06 wrote:
keep it up man! Also if you do any additional mods, please keep them listed so we can have an idea of whats going on. So far it sounds like its a stock turbo with a opened exhaust. Those are some good numbers, do you have any stock numbers for like a power-stroke for reference?

Stock 6.0 should make almost 300hp and 500tq at the wheels. Don't quote me on that though

You've now been quoted

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:15 pm 
LOST Member

That's about where my Excursion was with the 6.0 before I ran the Looney Wild Tune.

But I just remembered that in a recent issue of Diesel Power that there's a company (can't remember the name) claiming to have a compound turbo set developed for the Colorado/Canyon with 2.8. Wonder what they know that we don't?

SOLD-2006 Red CRD Sport 4x4. Hot, Fumoto, Weeks stage 1, ARP studs .
SOLD-2006 blue CRD Sport 4x4. Eco, Fumoto.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:54 pm 
LOST Addict

buddy357 wrote:

But I just remembered that in a recent issue of Diesel Power that there's a company (can't remember the name) claiming to have a compound turbo set developed for the Colorado/Canyon with 2.8. Wonder what they know that we don't?

No reason why our CRD can't have a compound turbo.
As long as you are willing to do all the research, fabrication, tuning, and testing, anything is possible.
The question is, why?
I'd much rather spend money on a better single turbo than try to figure out how to stuff another turbo under the hood.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:18 am 
LOST Newbie

If your CRD had the egr system running for any amount of kms and you are into the engine for any reason it is worth your while to remove and use hot pressurized water and degreaser on the intake. Try to get in there at every angle possible. The amount of soot and carbon that builds up from the egr is unbelievable. Even with the f37 tune the difference in the engine performance is very noticeable. Be sure to clean dry with lint free cloth and lubricate the cams to prevent any issues with them.

GDE Stage II Turbo and Hot Tune, GDE tcm ecotune's, Suncoast Tc's, TransGo Shiftkit, Cummins Intank Lift Pump, HDS Thermostat housings, OME suspension, JBA upper control arms, ARB Bull Bar and Warn XD9000, All quality products that have added noticeable and usable value to the KJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:07 pm 
LOST Addict

buddy357 wrote:
That's about where my Excursion was with the 6.0 before I ran the Looney Wild Tune.

I think they just use the stock GTB1752 followed by some wastegated turbo that provides the extra flow. I think its pretty simple other than the exhaust plumbing, but they also have a lot more room to work with in the colorado engine bay. That motor uses a different injection system, not bosch(Delphi?). Apparently their injectors have plenty of overhead to run 300+ HP which I seriously doubt ours can do. SPD was saying their tune was a 1250 microsecond injection pulse which is what our jeeps require bone stock. Look at dieselguy, he is on 30% honed injectors on a GDE Hot Tune and is "only" in the 260 hp range. Then of course there is our CP3 pump, which from what I have seen is fairly small compared to some others out there. Who knows when that will run out of flow.