It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD dies randomly at idle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have an 06 with 108,000 miles. The vehicle has been trouble free up until the weather started getting cold. My wife is the main driver of the crd and she started complaining about the jeep dying while in a drive though or at a stop sign. Jeep would start back up again right away. As winter went on, (I've been struggling with this concern for about a month now) the problem just kept getting worse. The wife would run to town and leave it running while going into a store and she would come back out and Jeep would not be running and she could not get it started again. Crank and no fire. I assumed an air in fuel issue. I would go down later that day bleed fuel and it would start back up. I had done this several times and even showed her how to bleed fuel in case I couldnt get to her right away. As of right now Jeep will only idle for about 5-10 minutes and then die. It will not start back up if i try again. I always have fuel at the bleeder valve. I've cracked the line from the pump to the rail and have fuel there even when it doesnt start. If i wait about 10 minutes or longer it will start back up even if I dont bleed fuel. No check engine light or anything appears. The last couple days I've been starting and hitting the road within a few minutes. It hicups a couple times but once I reach normal temp Jeep runs like normal.

What I've done so far:
Was running blended fuel so I dropped fuel tank. Drained all blended fuel out. Cleaned fuel sender/pick up. Running #1 now with howes additive
Installed tank and ran a rubber hose on suction from pickup to connection above rear axle
Installed electric lift pump
Installed updated fuel filter head and wiring
Installed new fuel line from filter to injection pump
Map sensor cleaned
Running ORM. Tried plugging it in but no change

Anyone ever had a trouble like this?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Post subject: Re: CRD dies randomly at idle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:13 am 
LOST Member

You need to run the vehicle while hooked up to a decent scanner that can monitor PCM inputs. I'd suspect crank position sensor highly with your symptoms and considering what work you've done already. If you can monitor the cps while graphing it you may see it drop out at the same time it quits.....just an idea for you to try.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:40 pm 

Sounds like you have ruled out fuel problems!
Replace the CPS (crank position sensor), is is bad and causes some of the symptoms as you described. Mine did the hiccup thing a few times and did not set any codes either. Also put me on the side of the road one time and then restarted with no DTC's.... Replaced TPS and never had any more issues.... :wink:
They are notorious for going bad with age and causing problems....
Can be purchased at AutoZone for decent price, part no. SU8492, and part in box was a Bosch part when I purchased one about two years ago... Takes less than an hour to change from underside of vehicle. Some on here say it can be done from topside, but much harder and takes longer? :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys. Getting a solus from a friend tomorrow and gonna try and graph the sensor and see how it goes.

Will replace crank sensor anyway.

Where about is the sensor located? Looked on mopar parts and doesnt give a location
Is on the front of the motor by the power steering pump area?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

Passenger side towards the back and kinda lower. There is a heat shield covering it. I find it easiest to change from the ground

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:03 pm 
LOST Member

The Noob guide has some good pics and the location may be there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

See engine pics I posted a while back at viewtopic.php?f=98&t=74594

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks everyone. Yea that sensor doesnt look real fun to replace. :?

I got a solus today but I could only read real time data and I couldnt graph.

I got a sensor on the way anyways. Hopefully it cures the problem. Ill post my findings either way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Installed new sensor today. Sensor wasnt too bad to do. Unplugging and plugging in the electrical connector was the worst.

Anyway, Jeep did not die under the normal conditions that it would before so hopefully the problem is cured. Gonna drive it the next couple days but I still dont trust it 100%