It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 05 running codes and needs inspection.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

It's showing up p1267 & p1263 which say manufacturer control air metering. It's also showing p0401 which says egr flow insufficient. Any idea what could be causing these codes or how to fix them?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: 05 running codes and needs inspection.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:19 pm 
LOST Addict

P1263 and p1267 are for bad glow plugs.
It's probably time to replace all four glow plugs.

P0401 is probably a stuck EGR valve.
Find a way to disable, block, or delete your EGR valve.
Load a custom tune to the ECM to eliminate the code and be done with the EGR forever.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

When you block off egr, can that potentially harm the turbo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

No it won't harm it. Anymore miles that the egr is active is causing harm potentially. Op, get those glowplugs changed and like mentioned, delete the egr and get a tune.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

jws84_02 wrote:
No it won't harm it. Anymore miles that the egr is active is causing harm potentially. I see your in Joliet, il. I'm about 100 miles south. Why do you need inspection?

Did you mean me? I live in jersey. Inspection is mandatory here and it's 150 dollars per time I get pulled over.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

TByram wrote:
jws84_02 wrote:
No it won't harm it. Anymore miles that the egr is active is causing harm potentially. I see your in Joliet, il. I'm about 100 miles south. Why do you need inspection?

Did you mean me? I live in jersey. Inspection is mandatory here and it's 150 dollars per time I get pulled over.

Yeah sorry, I edited my post after I saw the guy above me wasn't the op.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:10 am 
LOST Newbie

Not exactly sure how they do safety/emissions in NJ, but everywhere else that I know of merely plugs in the OBDII to check for current MIL/CEL illumination and stored codes. No codes = pass.

As far as the EGR bit goes, the ECU can be tuned to *not* check for EGR operation, thereby not throwing (or storing) a code. This can be done via commercial vendor (GDE) or via the DIY ECU tune for the cost of a specific OBDII dongle. Legal to the letter of the law? No - which is why everyone says "for offroad use only". Will the emissions scanner pick up that your ECU has been retuned? Also "No". (Seriously, we should start calling this the "VW factory mod")

I can't fathom that NJ is doing anything different than the other states when it comes to testing for emissions compliance.

HISTORY: Many on this board have been doing this via SEGR, DIY Tune, or GDE for many years. All effectively render the EGR inoperable and incapable of throwing a code. Many of these people live in emissions-tested locations (Northern Virginia, for me). I do not know of a single reported instance of someone failing an emissions test b/c the EGR was discovered inoperable by one of these methods. (Anyone?)

TByram wrote:
jws84_02 wrote: