It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: missing coolant, next step?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:24 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi guys, long time no post....luckily other than maintenance stuff I have been more or less trouble free
Looks like I will soon be elbows deep in the 05 and could use some suggestions....
2005 crd liberty, 115 k , gde echo and trans done 4 yrs ago
timing belt, water pump, tstat , glow plugs done 2 years ago....

Anyway, since we bought this at 47k it always used a bit of coolant... like a small drinking glass
every 6 months or so. At first i wasnt to concerned, i figured a cold clamp leak or a bad cap gasket.The
low coolant light is kinda sensitive and i started marking the expansion tank with tape on a cold top off
to keep better track of it.
It always seemed like it would use it most when the temps are fluctuating around freezing point, once it
either got cold (20 and under) or hot (65 and above), the need for coolant could go months. There has
never been any evidence of coolant in the engine oil or oil in the coolant, or bubbles in the
coolant tank, and i have never seen a coolant puddle on the slight uphill driveway where it is usually parked
and the thing runs like a top, with no hard start of evidence of hydro lock.
In the last couple of months the coolant use has been escalating, where i have had to add every couple
of weeks. While this is not my daily driver,( it is the wifes) I have seen some white smoke on cold start up
and the first couple of miles of use, again when the temps are just south of freezing, not on every start up
I`m in the process of finishing up a new shop so i have been putting off the inevitable. I hope to be able to
start on it in the next month or so, unless someone here thinks i need to put it out of service immediately.

My plan is to start with a cold pressure test, then a hot one, and see what i can find
First thoughts are a cracked head, while im hoping that it could be something in the egr plumbing...
Any and all input is appreciated
thanks in advance, steve

jba lift , 245/70/17. wifes ride want to keep it going as long as possible...

Post subject: Re: missing coolant, next step?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:05 am 
LOST Addict

Start by pressure testing the cooling system. Dont pump it up more than 16 psi.
There are lots of hose clamps that can loose tension and cause leaks.

Once you have ruled out all the possible leaky hoses and clamps, focus your attention on the possibility of a leaking EGR cooler or cracked head.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:25 am 
LOST Member

I have mystery coolant leak on my 05 as well. I know i was getting some from thermostat cap it seemed and probably the radiator hose on the thermostat. Mine also uses alot more when it gets cold out, and almost none during the summer.

I just Replaced it with the Hot Diesel Solutions gen2 thermostat this past weekend and resealed everything. There are a TON of places where a loose hose clamp can let coolant seep out. The other thing I was thinking it could be is the heater core since there is no way of directly inspecting that without pulling the dash Apart I am hoping that is not the case.

Just a question, Are you using the Inline Tstat mod? I was running that before Switching out the entire assembly this weekend.

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:26 am 
LOST Newbie

when we did the timing belt and water pump the tstat was also done, with a stock unit..

jba lift , 245/70/17. wifes ride want to keep it going as long as possible...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

UV coolant dye and light from Amazon under $35; add dye to coolant tank; drive for several days; park in shade or at night; using light look for leaks at all hose connections and seams such as tstat (be sure to check around EGR cooler and oil cooler and HVAC drip tube in firewall under coolant tank.

Tons of possible leak places where tiny drips can result in noticeable coolant loss but no water on ground as drip evaporates.

If no luck try pressure test.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:17 am 
LOST Junkie

I also suggest it possibly being the egr cooler or lines going to it. Is it a big enough leak to where it will leave a mark where you park it. You might also take your ski'd plate off to see if you can narrow it down that way. Otherwise, like others have stated, uv die and pressure test