It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HHO kits
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:31 am 
LOST Junkie

Just out of curiosity, has anyone fitted one of those hydrogen generator kits to their CRD?

There is a company over here selling them to Land Rover owners, who seem to be impressed, and they are actually available on Amazon so I wondered if anyone here had tried one.

Mind you, god only knows where there would be space in the engine bay -it was bad enough getting a provent in.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

Post subject: Re: HHO kits
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Unless its above 90% efficiant or you have a battery pack thats isolated from the vehicle, its pretty much a power loss. Though highway mileage may improve by 1 mpg on a gasser. Never heard of a diesel using this but id say its safe to say your results would be greater since diesel is very high compression. An ecu tune would most likley be needed in order to not run to lean.

The more hydrogen you make, the more power is sucked from the alternator hense more resistance.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

There is very rarely a free lunch!

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:18 pm 
LOST Addict

I believe that the amount of electricity required to break water into hydrogen and oxygen exceeds the output of those gases used in combustion. Hence why there are no hydrogen powered cars. You have to get the gas from somewhere, and its not worth it. Its not going to buy you anything.

And thats if your alternator can provide enough juice to power the thing and all the other electronics in your car.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

Pure snake oil, but PT Barnum was right: there's a sucker born every minute.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:08 pm 
LOST Addict

Yall didnt even read my post...

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

PALiftedKK wrote:
Yall didnt even read my post...

Did. Didn't need to, though. My comment "HHO is snake oil" stands. Besides, YOUR comment was not the start of this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:37 pm 
LOST Member

I don't know much about these kits, but have two thoughts:

1. I'd second what other people have said, it's an energy loosing deal to make electricity with your engine, make H2 with that electricity and then burn the H2 in the engine.

2. H2 is a very reactive chemical. It will penetrate metals weakening them, and generally deteriorates rubber and plastics. So it probably will not do much good to the parts of your engine it comes into contact with.

Either of these would be reason enough for me to skip it. But good luck with whatever you decide.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:44 am 
LOST Junkie

I have no intention of getting one, I was just curious if anyone had tried one. As I said, a number of Landie owners had them and were singing their praises. But also, even if they are wonderful, where is there room in the engine bay? :)