It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overheated the Liberty What do you think?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:45 am 
LOST Newbie

I live in Nebraska and was stuck in the Blizzard yesterday. While busting through snow drift trying to get home in 4x4 Hi, The jeep dinged at me notifying me it was overheating, I didn't realize what it was at first and when I did realize it I stopped shut it down and let it rest for 30 minutes, the gauge was pegged to the right and ran that way for probably 20 minutes. What are the opinions out there head damage warping? Or could it possibly be OK. What should i be looking for anything i should do immediately. It does have ARP studs from the last time i changed the lifters. Largely stock except for 2" Iron Man lift JBA A-Arms, Fumuto Drain, and Silicon Turbo Hoses.

Any opinion Welcome, Thanks FYI i have cleared the snow from the radiator which is what probably caused the Overheating.

Timing Tool Current Wait List https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jvg_433Tfencao2HWJE3jXYB8Kk_myAtXJhmNNevqnw/edit

Timing Tool Rental FAQ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UP7CTZ4WZCnj1HlTvpFTX2WfvhauaTwLqghNKhfjI0o/edit

Post subject: Re: Overheated the Liberty What do you think?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Do I think the head got damaged by overheating?
IDK, depends on how hot it actually got.

I find it hard to believe that the engine actually overheated while driving through snow. It must have been working pretty hard.

First, the temp gauge does not give an actual number for engine temp.
Second, there is a known temp gauge calibration flaw that can be fixed with a TSB from a mopar dealership.

So it helps to know exactly what temperature things are at to know if the engine is overheating.
Some of us use a IR temp gun. Just point it at the top of the thermostat for a quick reading.

What about airflow through the radiator?
Was the grille so packed with snow that no air could flow through the radiator?
Are your cooling fans working?
The electric cooling fan will kick on at high speed when engine temp gets above 210F.

And...
What about your engine thermostat. Is it working properly?
Have you ever flushed to cooling system? Could be some crud built up in the radiator.
Has the wrong type of coolant ever been used? A mix with the wrong coolant will gum things up really quick.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Several things:
1. per Owner's manual if you do get the 5 chimes for overheating do not shut the engine off, can cause hot spotting as coolant stops circulating, instead "Idle the vehicle with the air conditioning turned off, until the pointer drops back into the normal range." I'd modify that quote by saying put vent selector in bilevel, to turn off AC compressor; set the heat to max; set the HVAC system fan to max - makes the cabin heater a supplemental radiator.
2. you have a 2005 so it's possible your temp gauge, as Flash mentions, is not correctly calibrated (see TSB 08-043-05). Did you notice a loss of power? I ask because GDE says fuel begins to be cut when coolant temp hits 234F which is near the peg on a gauge that's not correctly calibrated and fuel is fully cut (I presume the engine shuts down) at 243F which is past the peg on the same gauge. See http://www.greendieselengineering.com/j ... st/19.page

I had a miscalibrated temp gauge which I noticed because driving on the flat in N. FL summer towing a relatively light boat with the AC on the temp gauge got to near the 3/4 position when it should have only been vertical or a touch right of vertical. I took the TSB to my local dealer and "respectfully declined" the Service Writer's attempt to "sell" me a full coolant system diagnosis. By "respectfully declined" I mean I told the SW; plug the DRB III in; check calibration; if off fix; I pay nothing; if calibration is not off I'll pay the specified 2/10 of an hour labor fee and then we can discuss coolant system diagnosis. Needless to say calibration was off.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Fuel never cut off, I did get the Dings warnings, I'm sure the gauge is off ( I have never had the TSB done), It doesn't sound like it make it to high after all it was in a blizzard cooling electric fans were frozen and could not start radiator was completely plugged. Snow was packed around engine compartment and surrounded mechanical fan. I will replace the battery today and see if there are any indications of overheating. Thanks for the great responses.

Timing Tool Current Wait List https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jvg_433Tfencao2HWJE3jXYB8Kk_myAtXJhmNNevqnw/edit

Timing Tool Rental FAQ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UP7CTZ4WZCnj1HlTvpFTX2WfvhauaTwLqghNKhfjI0o/edit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just to be clear the TSB is not a "recall" rather it's something that's done if certain symptoms are present. See TSB text below. My suggestion on how to approach service under the TSB, unless of course you have an "in" with the local dealer is wait until warmer weather. Then go in and say you noticed the temp gauge going up toward 3/4s while towing a small boat you just purchased with the AC on (this is exactly what mine did) and you want the temp gauge calibration checked per the TSB. Indicate that it's your understanding that if the calibration is off the service is free but if the calibration is ok you are willing to pay for 2/10s of an hour of labor at the going shop rate. Do not under any circumstances indicate how the temp rise actually happened.

TSB 08-043-05 GROUP: Electrical DATE: August 11, 2005

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING PROVIDED IN ADVANCE. DO NOT PERFORM ANY ACTIONS RELATED TO THIS BULLETIN UNTIL AUGUST 26, 2005. THE DRB III SOFTWARE VERSION MUST BE AT LEVEL 62.2 TO PERFORM THIS BULLETIN. THE DRB III SOFTWARE WILL BE AVAILABLE ON TechCONNECT BY AUGUST 26, 2005. FOR MARKETS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, THE DRB III VERSION 62.2 SOFTWARE WILL BE AVAILABLE ON CINONConnect AND TechCONNECT BY AUGUST 26, 2005. THE DRB III VERSION 62.2 SOFTWARE WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE ON THE ITIS DVD SEPTEMBER 2005 RELEASE.

SUBJECT: Engine Temperature Gauge - Indicator Reads A Higher Temperature Than Actual OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves reprogramming the instrument cluster control (CCN) module.
MODELS: 2005 (KJ) Liberty / Cherokee NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 2.8L turbo diesel engine (sales code ENR).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION: The customer may notice that the engine temperature gauge may indicate that the engine temperature is high. In hot ambient temperatures, and under certain driving conditions of extended uphill driving while towing a trailer, the engine temperature indicator may indicate slightly above the 3/4 normal operating temperature mark on the temperature gauge (but below the engine hot temperature markings). This condition may be caused by an incorrect calibration of the of the engine temperature gauge. New CCN module software corrects the old engine temperature gauge calibration.
DIAGNOSIS: If the engine and the cooling system are operating correctly, and the above condition is present, then perform the Repair Procedure.
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED: CH6000A Scan Tool (DRBIII®) CH7000A/7001A J1962 Cable with red DRBIII® connector
REPAIR PROCEDURE: NOTE: Before proceeding verify that the DRBIII® software version is at level 62.2.
1. Connect the DRBIII® to the vehicle Data Link Connector (DLC)
2. Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position.
3. Using the DRBIII® scan tool recalibrate the instrument temperature gauge.
a. Select "DRBIII® Standalone"
b. Select "1998 - 2006 Diagnostics"
c. Select "All (Except Below)"
d. Select "Body Interior"
e. Select "Electro/Mech Cluster (MIC)"
f. Select "Miscellaneous"
g. Select "Recalibrate Temp Gauge" option.
4. If the recalibration of the instrument cluster was successful, the RBIII® will display the following message: "Recalibration Successful".
5. If the version level of the original instrument cluster software allows recalibration, but the recalibration of the instrument cluster was NOT successful, then the DRBIII® will display one of the following messages: "Recalibration Failed" or "Write To Memory Address Failed". If one of these messages occurs repeat the above steps.
6. If the instrument cluster has already been recalibrated to the correct software version level, then the DRBIII® will display the following message: "Gauge Already Recalibrated - Press Any Key to Exit".
7. The DRBIII® will display the following message if the original instrument clustersoftware version level is not the correct version level for recalibration: "MIC Software Version Incorrect - Press Any Key to Exit".
8. Verify that the instrument cluster engine temperature gauge has been recalibrated by selecting the "Recalibrate Temp Gauge" option again. The DRBIII® should display the following message: "Gauge Already Recalibrated - Press Any Key to Exit".
9. Turn the vehicle ignition switch to the "OFF" position
10. Disconnect the DRBIII® from the vehicle DLC.
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE: 08-45-10-94 Reprogram Instrument Cluster Control (CCN) Module - 2.8L Turbo Diesel Engine Only 0.2 Hrs.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:17 pm 
LOST Addict

With ARP's, I bet you'll be fine. I boiled mine over once, and got it up to 3/4 2 or 3 times with a GDE corrected temp gauge. After all of that torture with an inline stat, I finally developed a very slow HG leak. I'm putting ARP's in it and driving on. But, each one is different. I overheated another one on a big hill after a few rockers collapsed and it violently blew the the HG, but the head tested fine, and was milled flat and reused. They are pretty tough if the torque is reasonably even (ARP's) I think.

If it didn't even boil over, I wouldn't be worried.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:12 pm 
LOST Addict

papaindigo wrote:
Just to be clear the TSB is not a "recall" rather it's something that's done if certain symptoms are present. See TSB text below. My suggestion on how to approach service under the TSB, unless of course you have an "in" with the local dealer is wait until warmer weather. Then go in and say you noticed the temp gauge going up toward 3/4s while towing a small boat you just purchased with the AC on (this is exactly what mine did) and you want the temp gauge calibration checked per the TSB. Indicate that it's your understanding that if the calibration is off the service is free but if the calibration is ok you are willing to pay for 2/10s of an hour of labor at the going shop rate. Do not under any circumstances indicate how the temp rise actually happened.

TSB 08-043-05 GROUP: Electrical DATE: August 11, 2005

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING PROVIDED IN ADVANCE. DO NOT PERFORM ANY ACTIONS RELATED TO THIS BULLETIN UNTIL AUGUST 26, 2005. THE DRB III SOFTWARE VERSION MUST BE AT LEVEL 62.2 TO PERFORM THIS BULLETIN. THE DRB III SOFTWARE WILL BE AVAILABLE ON TechCONNECT BY AUGUST 26, 2005. FOR MARKETS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, THE DRB III VERSION 62.2 SOFTWARE WILL BE AVAILABLE ON CINONConnect AND TechCONNECT BY AUGUST 26, 2005. THE DRB III VERSION 62.2 SOFTWARE WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE ON THE ITIS DVD SEPTEMBER 2005 RELEASE.

SUBJECT: Engine Temperature Gauge - Indicator Reads A Higher Temperature Than Actual OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves reprogramming the instrument cluster control (CCN) module.
MODELS: 2005 (KJ) Liberty / Cherokee NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 2.8L turbo diesel engine (sales code ENR).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION: The customer may notice that the engine temperature gauge may indicate that the engine temperature is high. In hot ambient temperatures, and under certain driving conditions of extended uphill driving while towing a trailer, the engine temperature indicator may indicate slightly above the 3/4 normal operating temperature mark on the temperature gauge (but below the engine hot temperature markings). This condition may be caused by an incorrect calibration of the of the engine temperature gauge. New CCN module software corrects the old engine temperature gauge calibration.
DIAGNOSIS: If the engine and the cooling system are operating correctly, and the above condition is present, then perform the Repair Procedure.
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED: CH6000A Scan Tool (DRBIII®) CH7000A/7001A J1962 Cable with red DRBIII® connector
REPAIR PROCEDURE: NOTE: Before proceeding verify that the DRBIII® software version is at level 62.2.
1. Connect the DRBIII® to the vehicle Data Link Connector (DLC)
2. Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position.
3. Using the DRBIII® scan tool recalibrate the instrument temperature gauge.
a. Select "DRBIII® Standalone"
b. Select "1998 - 2006 Diagnostics"
c. Select "All (Except Below)"
d. Select "Body Interior"
e. Select "Electro/Mech Cluster (MIC)"
f. Select "Miscellaneous"
g. Select "Recalibrate Temp Gauge" option.
4. If the recalibration of the instrument cluster was successful, the RBIII® will display the following message: "Recalibration Successful".
5. If the version level of the original instrument cluster software allows recalibration, but the recalibration of the instrument cluster was NOT successful, then the DRBIII® will display one of the following messages: "Recalibration Failed" or "Write To Memory Address Failed". If one of these messages occurs repeat the above steps.
6. If the instrument cluster has already been recalibrated to the correct software version level, then the DRBIII® will display the following message: "Gauge Already Recalibrated - Press Any Key to Exit".
7. The DRBIII® will display the following message if the original instrument clustersoftware version level is not the correct version level for recalibration: "MIC Software Version Incorrect - Press Any Key to Exit".
8. Verify that the instrument cluster engine temperature gauge has been recalibrated by selecting the "Recalibrate Temp Gauge" option again. The DRBIII® should display the following message: "Gauge Already Recalibrated - Press Any Key to Exit".
9. Turn the vehicle ignition switch to the "OFF" position
10. Disconnect the DRBIII® from the vehicle DLC.
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE: 08-45-10-94 Reprogram Instrument Cluster Control (CCN) Module - 2.8L Turbo Diesel Engine Only 0.2 Hrs.

Interesting, I never noticed that option before in the DRBIII, I will have to look for it now.