It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard to start even when just 0 degree celcius
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Having a hard time to start my jeep at 0 degree celsius, tested the 5volts plugs, 0.6 ohms each. No cel. It starts but dies, it take me 3-4 times to get it going. I have the weeks kit with the glow plug in it, how long should I keep it on before I turn on the jeep GP? I just updated my program to 5volts(GDE) but didn't help. Tomorrow will try cycling the GP 2-3 times to see if it change something. Will start fine at -10 degree celsius if plugged in. Need help, starting not to like the little thing.

Post subject: Re: Hard to start even when just 0 degree celcius
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

yes that is a normal operation for updated GP we just need to adopt to this behavour no choice can not go back to to ceramics , so yes block heater , webasto heter , fire under oil pan like in the old days whatever it takes. But we can not go back to old ceramic gp .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:53 pm 
LOST Addict

CRD4U2 wrote:
Having a hard time to start my jeep at 0 degree celsius, tested the 5volts plugs, 0.6 ohms each. No cel. It starts but dies, it take me 3-4 times to get it going. I have the weeks kit with the glow plug in it, how long should I keep it on before I turn on the jeep GP? I just updated my program to 5volts(GDE) but didn't help. Tomorrow will try cycling the GP 2-3 times to see if it change something. Will start fine at -10 degree celsius if plugged in. Need help, starting not to like the little thing.

Are you sure you are getting fuel consistently? I also have the 5v Bosch plugs and do not have this issue. As long as I give it 5 seconds of glowplug time before I crank it over it starts right up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

(in my case) i have 7 v e tecnos i had there old style back in 2 years ago they didn't last so i did order and installed the latest version so no improvement in starting except they didn't burn out yet like first generations.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

i have 3 good original GP (CERAMIC ) if you need them i can help

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

What are the specs and health of your battery, and alternator? (The more cold cranking amps CCA, the better.)

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:09 am 
LOST Addict

I will private message you, CRD4U2... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:26 am 
LOST Addict

weeks101 wrote:
What are the specs and health of your battery, and alternator? (The more cold cranking amps CCA, the better.)

I'd agree with this. If you have 5V glow plugs, the correct programming, no CEL and it otherwise starts fine at higher temperatures or when plugged in I'd start with the battery especially if you're trying to run that intake heater at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

I use the block heater in my garage overnight. Timer starts up at 4 AM, and I start up around 6:30 AM. At work I don't have the block heater option. Leaving work I usually use my mobile phone timer to ensure I get a full 60 +/- seconds of GP action, totally ignoring the curly Q light on the dash. I am assuming that the "on" switch is cycling the Bosch 5V's a few times within that 60 seconds.

Seems to work(ish), although this winter was very mild compared to last year.

1993 GMC Sierra SLE K3500 6.5L 228K and clicking away

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:10 pm 
LOST Addict

BigDieselEv wrote:
I use the block heater in my garage overnight. Timer starts up at 4 AM, and I start up around 6:30 AM. At work I don't have the block heater option. Leaving work I usually use my mobile phone timer to ensure I get a full 60 +/- seconds of GP action, totally ignoring the curly Q light on the dash. I am assuming that the "on" switch is cycling the Bosch 5V's a few times within that 60 seconds.

Seems to work(ish), although this winter was very mild compared to last year.

The glow plugs, at least with the gde tune, stay on for 10 seconds per key cycle based on my fooling around with a voltmeter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

BigDieselEv wrote:
Leaving work I usually use my mobile phone timer to ensure I get a full 60 +/- seconds of GP action, totally ignoring the curly Q light on the dash.

Try cranking right after the light goes out, rather than waiting so long.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:25 am 
LOST Newbie

The battery and alternator are fines, getting a good 12.6 volts and 14.3 from the alternator. Was -7 degree celsius on sunday, didn't want to start even after several keys cycling, even broke the ignition keys switch(that little shaft), good thing I had a screw driver to jump start the starter. The jeep was pluggged in but the military police unplugged it because I wasn't allowed to plug my car on the base and I got a 40$ ticket. They let me plugged it, so I plugged it for 2 hours and it fired after a couple of starter jumping.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:52 am 
LOST Addict

CRD4U2 wrote:
The battery and alternator are fines, getting a good 12.6 volts

Is that the voltage under load?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:15 pm 
LOST Junkie

CRD4U2 wrote:
The battery and alternator are fines, getting a good 12.6 volts and 14.3 from the alternator. Was -7 degree celsius on sunday, didn't want to start even after several keys cycling, even broke the ignition keys switch(that little shaft), good thing I had a screw driver to jump start the starter. The jeep was pluggged in but the military police unplugged it because I wasn't allowed to plug my car on the base and I got a 40$ ticket. They let me plugged it, so I plugged it for 2 hours and it fired after a couple of starter jumping.

How many CCA is your battery rated for?

-7C is about 20F, which isn't that cold honestly. Something is not right if you cannot get it started even after plugging it in for 2 hours at that temp.

You previously stated you waited a full minute after the cluster glow plug light goes out, before cranking. This is not recommended if you're running our intake heater kit. Try cranking immediately after the light turns off, rather than waiting, and report back.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:29 pm 
LOST Addict

weeks101 wrote:
You previously stated you waited a full minute after the cluster glow plug light goes out, before cranking. This is not recommended if you're running our intake heater kit. Try cranking immediately after the light turns off, rather than waiting, and report back.

Per this posting from GDE the glow plugs time out and shut down if you leave it too long before cranking viewtopic.php?p=884899#p884899

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

I wait for the bell and whistle to stop before cranking. The voltage is not under load, it drops from 12.6 to 12.3 when I turn the key ON(not cranking) and down to 11.8 if I turn on the weeks kit. Just the weeks kit with the keys in OFF, it drop to 12.2 volts.

I have a in tank fuel pump and I can heard it run and my fuel filter have 6000kms. I use amsoil fuel additif for the winter and it runs on amsoil synthetic oil.

Does it have a relay for the GP like a cummins? And if so, would it give my a CEL if it wasn't working? Where is it located at?

It started today in the garage at -7 degree celsius plugged in no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

ok CRD4U2 last night was cold -10 to -15 celsius so i didn't use block heater , first crank after waiting 6 sec no start sec. time started smoke (WHITE) and died third and fourth same looks like fires only on 2 cylinders finally started after 6-7 attempts and rpm jump to 1500 lot of noise and didn't die this time. so i say this is normal because i have done everything possibly to this unit and my engine i s healthy so look like to me your 5 v GP metal is the same performance like mine 7v and this is 2nd set in last 2 years so i guess previous owner had connections with dodge dealer so he new ceramics are good for 8 years so he traded in on time .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:24 pm 
LOST Member

rankom wrote:
ok CRD4U2 last night was cold -10 to -15 celsius so i didn't use block heater , first crank after waiting 6 sec no start sec. time started smoke (WHITE) and died third and fourth same looks like fires only on 2 cylinders finally started after 6-7 attempts and rpm jump to 1500 lot of noise and didn't die this time. so i say this is normal because i have done everything possibly to this unit and my engine i s healthy so look like to me your 5 v GP metal is the same performance like mine 7v and this is 2nd set in last 2 years so i guess previous owner had connections with dodge dealer so he new ceramics are good for 8 years so he traded in on time .

So, if we put in a manual switch to override any ECM or relay to power the GPs as long as we were pushing the manual switch, would that help anything? Is there a mod to let the GPs be powered manually to help in starting? If so, would that burn out the GPs or would it not effect the life? Just thinking out loud.

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

yes it is possible to rig something up like separate system ,,, somebody mentioned about a guy that did his own upgrade to euro system 11v GP i think that is the way to go if no axes to hydro (BLOCK HEATER) or (WEBASTO) yeah wood be nice if we can find him to see how that system performing in cold conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:14 pm 
LOST Member

CRD4U2 wrote:
The jeep was pluggged in but the military police unplugged it because I wasn't allowed to plug my car on the base and I got a 40$ ticket. They let me plugged it, so I plugged it for 2 hours and it fired after a couple of starter jumping.

It's nice to see that Canadian MP's are just as stupid as ours. If they are perpetual dumbasses you may be looking at a Webasto or Espar for a permanent solution.