It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD 4 linked on 2.5 tons
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi 'yall, This is my 2006 Jeep liberty CRD, and I'm most likely going to do something absurd with it!
In my time off of work, I build, customize, and drive offroad vehicles.
A few of my creations.
[img][IMG]http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/FarmDiesel/2F876856-BBD1-426B-BF8E-578ADEC452B2.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/FarmDiesel/13A8AAC1-574B-4C23-834F-FEA0CFCE858E.jpg[/img][/img]
I have a set of 2.5 ton rockwells sitting in my garage, and I think it is time they found a new home. :rockon:

Post subject: Re: CRD 4 linked on 2.5 tons
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:43 am 
LOST Newbie

I was intent on selling the CRD, and tried for a year, to no avail. After giving up on selling it, I decided to turn it into a dedicated offroad vehicle. My current plans for the engine are; Weeks stage1-2 kits. DIY ecu HOT tune, ARP headstuds, and I am looking for a good deal on a snorkel. Transmission is misbehaving, currently considering a hemi transmission/TC/TCM swap. I already have bought an ID parts Euro spec TC, which I may sell, (NRFB)... And from here, it gets interesting, 2.5 ton rockwell axles, FOA coilovers, custom subframe, divorced transfer case SCS or 2.5 ton rockwell, military surplus michelin "XL" tires (approx 53" tall). There is many more details I have left out, But the fact is I am tired of the 772HP monster that I have built and am building something more reliable, different, and most of all... AIR CONDITIONED :mrgreen:

The main reason I am posting, is to ask questions on how to defeat all of the electronics, and hopefully keep my speedometer. As well as throw a few ideas at you guys about the hydraulic steering setup that I have been designing for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:57 am 
LOST Addict

Sounds like a awesome project.
If it were me, that custom subframe would have provisions for mounting a Cummins 4BT and an appropriately sized transmission and transfer case.

Exactly which electronics are you wanting to defeat?
The CRD engine needs the ECM to operate.
The 545rfe needs the TCM.
And all the other comforts require the BCM.
Your idea for custom axles would require the elimination of the ABS and ESC systems. And because the speedo works off the ABS sensors, elimination of the ABS means no speedo.
To maintain a working speedo you will have to:
A. find a aftermarket speedo that will work by tapping into the transmission output speed sensor.
B. wire in a circuit that can translate the signal from the transmission output speed sensor into something compatible with the ECM and speedo.
A quick google search found these:
http://www.thehemi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4750
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=29930

Hydraulic steering? I have no clue.
If you dont plan on using the factory rack-n-pinion, you are going the have to get creative.
Check out the KJ SFA discussion section for more help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the reply, those links should be helpful. I was actually shopping around for a 4BT for a while, but they are selling for around 3000$ at the lowest. But In the event of complete failure of the CRD, I can re work the subframe to accept a 4bt and likely a TH400. Decided to just mess with my CRD as it is not very far from a 4bt in horsepower in the stock form, and I already own it. Mainly trying to get the speedometer functioning, and see if any of the DIY ECU guys on here know how to delete individual codes, for an attempt at a warning free dash, not that its important. I am going to put disc brakes on instead of the typical pinion brakes and ride the back roads around here from ranch to ranch when there is no offroad events to attend as well.

Last edited by Johndeere87 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

As for hydraulic steering, I have designed several setups, my only concern with it on here, is the factory pump having enough displacement to get the job done. If it doesn't, I'll likely have to custom fabricate some mounts for a PSC saginaw pump, which will be time consuming.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Honestly, this is a dumb idea. A KJ on rockwells? :roll:

If you want to build something big diesely on rockwells go find a CJ10 tug.

That said who gives a doo doo about my opinion. Its your vehicle do what you want.

If you can put any kind of tone ring on the drive line you can route the signal into the existing inputs for the vehicle speed sensor. You can then reprogram the rev count to give you an accurate speed reading.

The PSC pump used in XJs is the same basic pump used in the KJ, think you should be able to make it work.

You can delete codes and do ECU tunes, see the DIY ecu tuning thread.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:09 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks the info Sam, thats quite a bit of good information in one post :BANANA: To be honest, I am tired of seeing 1970-1990 half ton Chevys and Fords at the events I go to. This rig is for nothing more than kicks, and I already own a set of axles to throw at it. I'm gonna guess it'll be a first around here if I complete it... Kind of silly transforming a mileage getter into a barely streetable turd, but after the prices folks threw at me when I was trying to sell it, most offers being lower than the price of a 4bt cummins engine (which I really wanted to build something with) I just said, the heck with it. I'm gonna build something that confuses people!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:15 am 
LOST Newbie

Never heard of the tugger you mentioned, just researched it. Neat little rig, yet I don't own one, and it is not climate controlled.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have been playing with it today, programmed it with a stage 2 hot tune, runs like a little beast, and then becomes doggy. Is it possibly a fueling issue?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:08 pm 
LOST Addict

Doggy how?
What you describe sounds like it might be going into limp mode.
If limp mode, there will be a code to help diagnose.

Otherwise, your fuel system might be sucking air.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Sluggish, wouldn't blow smoke as it would before after freshly tuning, and shifted slowly from first to second, then wouldn't go to third unless I let off and re applied the throttle. Turned it off and it woke back up however. I did hit the primer a few times out of suspicion of fueling issues. Would cycling the key take it out of limp mode?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Obviously going into limp mode could be caused by a plethora of different things, but my CRD started limping around when my map sensor bit the dust. I tried to clean it; no dice. Replaced it with GM part 55206797 and she sprung back to life.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:35 am 
LOST Newbie

That's probably it. It came alive after quite some time of sluggishness after I cleaned it. perhaps it's no good. Does anyone know if I can read codes with the MPPS, or do I need something different?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:56 am 
LOST Addict

The MPPS will not read or clear codes.
You need an actual code scanner.
I use a ELM327 bluetooth adaptor and my android tablet/phone with TorquePro app. Does a lot more than just read and clear codes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Is there any reader that you guys recommend that will work with my windows laptop, or iOS device?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:02 pm 
LOST Addict

There is a elm327 wifi adaptor that will work with iphone/ipad and similar app.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Johndeere87 wrote:
Never heard of the tugger you mentioned, just researched it. Neat little rig, yet I don't own one, and it is not climate controlled.

It could be climate controlled without too much work. :wink: And the super short wheelbase makes for an interesting ride. Also, some of the togs already came with a diesel. :wink:

Johndeere87 wrote:
That's probably it. It came alive after quite some time of sluggishness after I cleaned it. perhaps it's no good. Does anyone know if I can read codes with the MPPS, or do I need something different?

It will not read codes. I have several different code readers around, I have bluetooth and wifi code readers, which are nice because they work with android or iphones, I have standalone readers which dont offer much besides reading and clearing codes. The smartphone readers allow you to read more data from the device and can allow real troubleshooting. On the far end of the spectrum is the DRBIII which allows the dealer level service options including flashing the ECU.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:53 pm 
LOST Member

I could swear I've seen a picture of an orange KJ that was SFA swapped with some rockwells.

I have 3 tugs. One is converted to a shortbed pickup, the second is halfway there, and the third is stock. They all came with diesels, and the motors were all gutless turds. Charming turds, but turds nonetheless. I just finished putting a mildly built 350 in the pickup.

Old pic:

2006 CRD Sport - Weeks kit, ARP studs, and DIY ECU flash
1985 CJ10 pickup
1985 CJ10A tug truck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Steevo wrote:
I could swear I've seen a picture of an orange KJ that was SFA swapped with some rockwells.

I have 3 tugs. One is converted to a shortbed pickup, the second is halfway there, and the third is stock. They all came with diesels, and the motors were all gutless turds. Charming turds, but turds nonetheless. I just finished putting a mildly built 350 in the pickup.

Old pic:

One member has a SFA orange KJ but with Ford D44 front. Totally different than rockwells. But I run mountain trails not mudpits.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:47 pm 
LOST Addict

I figured out the solution to the speedo, you need to use the output cone on the transfer case from an XJ. Get the 242 output cone and it has a provision for the speedo - i think the shaft still has the gear for the XJ style speedo, route that to your VSS interface.