It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CRD 4 linked on 2.5 tons
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sir Sam wrote:
I figured out the solution to the speedo, you need to use the output cone on the transfer case from an XJ. Get the 242 output cone and it has a provision for the speedo - i think the shaft still has the gear for the XJ style speedo, route that to your VSS interface.

Those are hall effect style sensors and will not work when you need a AC signal for the speedo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:22 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
I figured out the solution to the speedo, you need to use the output cone on the transfer case from an XJ. Get the 242 output cone and it has a provision for the speedo - i think the shaft still has the gear for the XJ style speedo, route that to your VSS interface.

Those are hall effect style sensors and will not work when you need a AC signal for the speedo.

They both provide an "AC" waveform. Are you saying the waveform of the tailcone sensor is not a compatible signal compared to the tone gear? A hall effect sensor will generate a roughly square waveform while a MPU or prox will provide a more sinusoidal waveform.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sir Sam wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

They both provide an "AC" waveform. Are you saying the waveform of the tailcone sensor is not a compatible signal compared to the tone gear? A hall effect sensor will generate a roughly square waveform while a MPU or prox will provide a more sinusoidal waveform.

All the OE electronic speedo sensors(for Jeep) on the t-cases are 3 wire hall effect and do not produce a AC signal,so yes it's not compatible at all.The hall effect sensor uses a 5 volt reference wire,signal wire,and ground wire.AC signal uses 2 wires with battery volts and signal wire.

You can find my post in the SFA section for the correct parts needed if using a tail cone speedo drive and the electronic interface to make it work with the IC but I can not vouch(or recommend) the viability for '06 CRD's since they the ABS speed sensors.Plus you should not alter the ABS signal in anyway or you could experience some un-wanted ABS activation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Ordered a boatload of stuff from Sasquatch parts! Time to start putting it all on!

Face off! The ARB made it quite a bit more work.
Ill be doing the timing belt as well, once the locking pins come in that I ordered.
These guys sure do speed up the process... Never mind the fancy footwear.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:57 am 
LOST Newbie

Got the wiring harness all peeled back... That was probably one of the most annoying parts yet!
Although I have researched the timing belt/idler/water pump install heavily... I have not checked around to see if anyone has had much luck one-by-one installing ARPs without removing the head. I and my friends have done it on many other types of diesels with great success, would it be any different on the lil CRD?

Also, if anyone can think of other things that I should do to it while its all pulled apart, please chime in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:04 am 
LOST Newbie

Also, note the reason I stopped driving it and started this nonsense. :-)r

Fortunately it happened at about 10 miles per hour offroad!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:57 am 
LOST Addict

Studs one by one is very common in our world.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not long after posting this I read most of the headstud thread. When pulling the intake/cover the cams come off as well? Would there be any issues keeping it in time?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Johndeere87 wrote:
Not long after posting this I read most of the headstud thread. When pulling the intake/cover the cams come off as well? Would there be any issues keeping it in time?

No issues.
The cams require special alignment pins to keep them in time and the crank is set at 90 deg after top dead center. The crank can also be pinned but it usually doesn't move.

The camshaft pins are not meant for holding the cams when removing or installing the cam sprockets. You will need a sprocket holding tool for that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

So basically half way into the timing belt install, stop and do the studs?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

Johndeere87 wrote:
Ordered a boatload of stuff from Sasquatch parts! Time to start putting it all on!

Thanks for your business!

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think I bought 1 of everything almost :roll:
After I get the fuel pump upgrade it will be for sure! Is there a way to make the deliveries not require a signature? My timing belt kit has been riding around for a while

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:49 pm 
LOST Member

Johndeere87 wrote:
So basically half way into the timing belt install, stop and do the studs?

Yep. Once you've got the belt off, pull the cam sprockets and rear timing cover. Then you get to deal with the intake/EGR crap on the drivers' side of the engine, and finally pull the valve cover/intake manifold off.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

I removed the EGR already, since I was doing a weeks kit. I guess all I need is a holder... Parts guy at napa tried to loan me a plastic one... Lol. Anyone have one sitting around in south Texas by chance? :5SHOTS:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

Johndeere87 wrote:
Is there a way to make the deliveries not require a signature? My timing belt kit has been riding around for a while

Yes, we can do that on your future orders. Generally, our policy on this is: "large order" + "first time customer" = signature required

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Works for me! I know the UPS guy and I ship it out to my parent's place in the country.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Still waiting on my gates multi-lock tool... So I figured I'd remove the rear axle.
Ready to begin designing the subframe!

I'm not sure if I'll plate the "frame" or just design another one out of square tubing and mate it to the uni-body

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

:POPCORN:

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think I might order the fuel pump kit. Should be super easy with no axle in the way...
Just picked up my snorkel from 4 wheel parts!Image

To those of y'all unfamiliar to the mega truck/jeep scene, here's a neat build that is more or less the way I'm going
http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehi ... angler-tj/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, after I finish installing the parts that I have ordered thus far, I'll be taking a break on this project. I just finished signing papers on a 2016 WK2 3.0 Diesel. Having it hauled 760 miles from Kentucky to south Texas due to the fact it was the closest, black in color 75th anniversary edition. darn it is going to be tough to keep the warranty in tact on that jeep, seeing as how I cant leave anything stock. The link contains a picture of the jeep I'll be waiting on. https://en.wheelsage.org/category/limited-editions/99773/pictures/afkae6