It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help please! How to disconnect fuel line behind EGR?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone, my CRD has been down for almost 10 days now :(

I am attempting to replace the 4 way fuel connector- the Fuel Bridge..

I broke the fuel injector return line and then, when attempting to install the new return line, I broke the tiny plastic fitting on top of the Fuel Bridge when i tried to remove the old injector line.. the line came off with the plastic fitting... now I am trying to replace the fuel bridge and removed all but 1 line, which is really hard to reach and runs behind the EGR, has a round plastic fitting that is just visible below/behind the oil dipstick.. I have tried searching all over and cant find any info on disconnecting this line- it seems I cant from the bridge, I think maybe the line is lined with plastic or has some sort of barbed type of fitting at the bridge so I will need to disconnect the white plastic fitting at the hard metal line, which is pretty much hiding behind the egr. I have no idea how is best to access it, and how to disconnect the fitting.

Is it a 'push type' fitting where I will need a special tool to push into the fitting to release it? Do i need to take anything else apart to get to it like the EGR? I already have the fuel head and battery out, the bridge and all other lines are all disconnected but this line is giving me trouble and It seems I cant pull it off of the bridge, I have tried very hard and it barely moved, plus I am positive I would end up damaging the connection on the new bridge so I will need to remove the fitting at the hard metal line... anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks very much,
Pete

Post subject: Re: Help please! How to disconnect fuel line behind EGR?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:41 pm 
LOST Addict

PeteCRD wrote:

I broke the fuel injector return line and then, when attempting to install the new return line, I broke the tiny plastic fitting on top of the Fuel Bridge when i tried to remove the old injector line.. the line came off with the plastic fitting... now I am trying to replace the fuel bridge and removed all but 1 line, which is really hard to reach and runs behind the EGR, has a round plastic fitting that is just visible below/behind the oil dipstick.. I have tried searching all over and cant find any info on disconnecting this line- it seems I cant from the bridge, I think maybe the line is lined with plastic or has some sort of barbed type of fitting at the bridge so I will need to disconnect the white plastic fitting at the hard metal line, which is pretty much hiding behind the egr. I have no idea how is best to access it, and how to disconnect the fitting.

Is it a 'push type' fitting where I will need a special tool to push into the fitting to release it? Do i need to take anything else apart to get to it like the EGR? I already have the fuel head and battery out, the bridge and all other lines are all disconnected but this line is giving me trouble and It seems I cant pull it off of the bridge, I have tried very hard and it barely moved, plus I am positive I would end up damaging the connection on the new bridge so I will need to remove the fitting at the hard metal line... anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks very much,
Pete

It is the push type, and it's been a long while, but I think I just used my fingers. Just like disconnecting a typical air fitting on an air compressor if I remember correctly. Now is a good time to remove all of that EGR crap so you can actually work on things easier :2cents:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:37 pm 
LOST Addict

I might have used a flat-head screwdriver :5SHOTS:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Mountainman wrote:
PeteCRD wrote:

Thanks very much,
Pete

It is the push type, and it's been a long while, but I think I just used my fingers. Just like disconnecting a typical air fitting on an air compressor if I remember correctly. Now is a good time to remove all of that EGR crap so you can actually work on things easier :2cents:

Thank you so much for the reply.

I really do want to do away with the EGR as in bypassing it entirely, I have for now done the ORM - Off Road Mod I read about on here- HUGE difference. I am sure my EGR will be caked with like 1/4" of soot at least but here is my reason and excuse to take it apart..

for the grey plastic fitting that goes into the metal line i have the fitting removal tool just in case, I just need to be able to access the line, I can touch it with a long screwdriver but the alternator and EGR and top of the block is making it impossible to reach my hand in and be able to touch the fitting, plus there is another thick hard metal line in the middle of all this..

I Just got home from work, so I am about to go outside and see what I can accomplish for round 2..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:04 am 
LOST Member

PeteCRD wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
PeteCRD wrote:

Thanks very much,
Pete

Thank you so much for the reply.

I really do want to do away with the EGR as in bypassing it entirely, I have for now done the ORM - Off Road Mod I read about on here- HUGE difference. I am sure my EGR will be caked with like 1/4" of soot at least but here is my reason and excuse to take it apart..

for the grey plastic fitting that goes into the metal line i have the fitting removal tool just in case, I just need to be able to access the line, I can touch it with a long screwdriver but the alternator and EGR and top of the block is making it impossible to reach my hand in and be able to touch the fitting, plus there is another thick hard metal line in the middle of all this..

I Just got home from work, so I am about to go outside and see what I can accomplish for round 2..

I've found that fitting to be a real bugger to get apart. You just squeeze the 2 plastic tangs on the gray fitting and it is supposed to release the inner retaining fingers. Doesn't work the best. I had to remove the CAC intake hose, EGR throttle plate body just to get enough access to get in there and squeeze it. You will likely find it is really stuck on the fuel line coming out of the CP3 pump as well. I ended up getting a really long screwdriver down thru the top and had to wedge/pry it loose while I was squeezing the 2 tabs with a channel lock pliers. BUt be careful it is very easy to break the tabs off. Doesn't mean you can't reuse the part, just means the next time you need to get it off it will be very difficult because there are no more finger to depress. But at $108 to replace the whole thing (it comes as an assembly with the fuel block) you don't want to break it.

And speaking of breaking it, you might want to check out this thread as a way of saving yourself some cash v. a whole new block.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83967

Post subject: Very related question:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:24 am 
LOST Member

Given that you just inadvertently caused precisely the problems I'd like to avoid, it would be great to hear really concise step-by-step injector removal and replacement instructions from someone who's done a few.
I need to replace the washer and seal on #3&4 injectors ( I've got a leak that is getting worse).
I can't find a thread with clear instructions for R&Ring an injector. I started to go at it today but realized after removing the fuel-rail retaining clip that it wasn't going to simply "pop-off", and didn't want to force/break anything before a forum search.

Thanks!

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

Post subject: Found adequately detailed injector R&R post by thermorex. Th
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:53 am 
LOST Member

The injector RnR is included in his exc. Tbelt RnR walk-through. Just had to keep trying keywords and scanning posts.

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.