It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmission code set today P0871
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:03 pm 
LOST Member

Anyone else have there transmission set code P0871? Just happened today on the way home. It will not shift into first gear anymore so it only starts out in second. The code refuses to clear. There are other posts about P0871 but there no one has ever said what solved there problem. Fun times.

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

Post subject: Re: Transmission code set today P0871
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:31 pm 
LOST Addict

My guess would be a bad solenoid pack.
But could also be a bad set of filters or bad pressure sensor or bad input/output speed sensors.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:33 am 
LOST Newbie

If you searched, you probably saw my thread where I was asking about the same code - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=84026

In my case, it's only if I manually try to use 2nd gear otherwise it's fine. Did yours happen in normal driving mode?

I'm pretty sure mine is trying to start in 3rd when it throws that code on mine. Does yours shift to any other gears either or does it just get stuck there in that one gear? I also have a heck of a time clearing it when it happens, but eventually I get it cleared.

Good luck and let me know what you find when you solve yours.

11 Mini Cooper - Wife's
Motorcycles:: KTM 650 ADV (Katuki), 05 BMW 1200GS, 08 Yamaha WR250R

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:58 pm 
LOST Member

My code went away and all is well for the moment. I had the scan gauge plugged in and that was probably causing TCM confusion.

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:03 pm 

Hope this is helpful?
P0871 - OD Pressure Switch Rationality Fault
This code is set if the OD pressure switch is open or closed at the wrong time in a given gear
Faulty OD Pressure Switch,
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses three pressure switches to monitor the fluid pressure in the LR, 2/4, and OD clutch circuits.
The pressure switches are continuously monitored for the correct states in each gear.

A good transmission shop can test and / or replace the OD pressure switch. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:04 pm 
LOST Member

Replaced fluid, filters and solenoid pack and the problem still existed. I tried replacing the transmission line pressure sensor and it behaved so bizarrely that I was afraid to drive it. Switched back to the original sensor and decided to cut off the resistor I had installed years ago from a Transgo shift kit. I taped up the wires which I believe had been touching each other due to me not taping them up correctly from the resistor install years ago. I am happy to say that my problems have went away with the p0871 code.