It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What triggers glow plug relay/module?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi again,

This jeep came with a remote starter that was inop, found a manual online and it is just the remote that does not work. I pulse the trigger to start line and it fires up after time delay, I would prefer hard wire to glow plugs (or trigger scource as 5v may not work).
I have a fully functional compustar 6200 from my last work truck and plenty of experience installing them (jeep has idatalink ads al that functions thru rs232 port installed) this does bypass/security/door locks and hatch, I am guessing the glow plug relay is triggered(-) by the ecm but its hard to test in the garage and that light is darn fast when it does come on.

Thanks,

Darren

Edit for spelling, oh and rear glass micro switch source? Comes only w handle from dealer....I will put a button on the dash first (-) trigger at orange/pink on the back of bcm...this will work with key on.

Post subject: Re: What triggers glow plug relay/module?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:15 am 
LOST Newbie

Starter installed and functional. Compustar is about 5 seconds between ign on and crank, glow plug was less than that in -16c. Time will tell. On a side note, compustar starter will not crank until state of voltage changes on glow plug input wire.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:26 am 
LOST Newbie

The glowplugs, metal and ceramic are activated using pulse width modulation.
Sending 12 volts to them will damage them.
They also heat up fairly quickly. Maybe you could get the 6200 programmed for the custom starter delay. Maybe 3 seconds?

GDE Stage II Turbo and Hot Tune, GDE tcm ecotune's, Suncoast Tc's, TransGo Shiftkit, Cummins Intank Lift Pump, HDS Thermostat housings, OME suspension, JBA upper control arms, ARB Bull Bar and Warn XD9000, All quality products that have added noticeable and usable value to the KJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:04 am 
LOST Junkie

What year/model is your CRD?
What plugs do you have in them, 5V or 7V?
Early Export CRDs use 11 volt plugs which are powered with 12 volts from two relays activated for a pre-determined time by the ECM....1 volt is dropped over the relay and plug contacts and the ECM does no error checking on the plugs but only checks that the relay coils are not open circuit or shorted out. My Export 2002 CRD uses this system and it works well but here in SA it seldom goes below freezing temp outside!

The 2005/6 CRDs are activated by the ECM and Glow Plug Module through very complex Pulse Width Modulation that shortens the time the plugs have voltage applied to them...some members here on this Forum have cracked the ECM software to see exactly what is going on inside the ECM with regards to this process.

The Glow Plug light on the cluster goes out after a few seconds but in actual fact the plugs are still being activated after the light has gone out.

As stated...putting +12 volts onto a 5V or 7V plug directly will burn it out!

I have seen some posts from Austrian CRD owners who are not happy with the 5V/7V system and have retrofitted the 11 volt system on their Jeeps using 11 volt plugs...usually from NGK! :?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Great info BillWill. I looked briefly for the 11v retrofit. Any chance you could point us to that write up?

GDE Stage II Turbo and Hot Tune, GDE tcm ecotune's, Suncoast Tc's, TransGo Shiftkit, Cummins Intank Lift Pump, HDS Thermostat housings, OME suspension, JBA upper control arms, ARB Bull Bar and Warn XD9000, All quality products that have added noticeable and usable value to the KJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:45 am 
LOST Junkie

Icecrd1669 wrote:
Great info BillWill. I looked briefly for the 11v retrofit. Any chance you could point us to that write up?

Difficult to find the posts by the Austrian who was planning on doing this retrofit...was a long time ago and I do not even know which of the Jeep Forums it was on....have not seen any Austrian posts for a long time now!

Will have a look for you and see if I can find this guy's post! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:57 am 
LOST Member

Icecrd1669 wrote:

One of the members here did it with the denso plugs they use on some of the other applications for this engine and a Mercedes module. I'll leave you to Google it.