It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Things go haywire when I turn on my headlights.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Turn on the Jeep, went to turn on headlights and did not work... The hazard lights came on instead steady not blinking...

Then like every light came on, gas reader went to zero, ebreak light went on.

Checked for codes and the computer is throwing the kitchen sink at me.

U0146
P0146
P0299
P0888

B2tae

p0700

Still runs, but not well...

Just had a ton of work done to it too, timing belt and a few other things... i Have paid about $3200 in repairs over the last two months and now Want to cry... or drive in to a tree.

Today it seems fine until I turn on the headlights.

Once i put on the headlights everything goes crazy and it even starts to run poorly. Starting and driving with out ever touching the headlights it seems to run fine.

I took out the headlights and they seem fine, replaced one with a new one... but I thank they weer fine before changing them.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Things go haywire when I turn on my headlights.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:14 pm 
LOST Member

It sounds like a serious ground path issue. I would start by immediately chasing down every ground path and verifying continuity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Also Horn and high beems do not work

And when i use the horn when it is running the hazard (both direction lights) light up..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

May seem weird but try removing and unplugging radio and plugging it back in. I had a bunch of warnings flashing in unison and that was the fix.

Not much lost if it doesn't work, good luck!

PS I checked my grounds prior to the radio fix to no avail.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:31 am 
LOST Junkie

ekeefe41 wrote:
Turn on the Jeep, went to turn on headlights and did not work... The hazard lights came on instead steady not blinking...

Then like every light came on, gas reader went to zero, ebreak light went on.

Checked for codes and the computer is throwing the kitchen sink at me.

U0146
P0146
P0299
P0888

B2tae

p0700

Still runs, but not well...

Just had a ton of work done to it too, timing belt and a few other things... i Have paid about $3200 in repairs over the last two months and now Want to cry... or drive in to a tree.

Today it seems fine until I turn on the headlights.

Once i put on the headlights everything goes crazy and it even starts to run poorly. Starting and driving with out ever touching the headlights it seems to run fine.

I took out the headlights and they seem fine, replaced one with a new one... but I thank they weer fine before changing them.

Any ideas?

What year is your CRD?

If it is a 2006 model remove the Fuel Filter Head Mounting Bracket and check for frayed/damaged wires behind it that may be shorting to chassis or to other wires. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

Check the little silver computer module directly in front and beneath the battery. My basic understanding is that it's the central communication hub for all of the other computers on the Jeep. Mine rusted through a few years ago, and I had it covered in snow and moisture. Keith at GDE and some other guys recommended I look into it after I would drive and all of my dash lights would go crazy and throw codes. The RPM gauge would stop and everything but the speedometer would flicker on and off. Eventually my security system locked me out of the car, and I had to pull the battery when dropping it off at the dealership because the key fobs stopped working and the alarm went off when I opened the door.

I recommend this because I had it replaced by the dealership, and it fixed everything, but after I got it back, my brights didn't work, my sunroof didn't work, and my steering wheel controls didn't work. I took it back and they told me they forgot to program in certain features unique to my VIN. They had it for a day and now everything is great. Your issue with the lights is what caused me to think there could be a connection. If the communication is messed up, your Jeep may be having all sorts of problems reading the info from the rest of the systems.

I hope you figure it out. It can be pretty frustrating.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:14 am 
LOST Newbie

My little beast is showing the exact same codes. I've been chasing down the cause and suspect air in fuel line. BUT Six days ago, I started it up, and the lights wouldn't come on, the fuel gauge was at zero, and weird dash light combo. Turned it off and back on, started up fine (No CEL). This weekend installed OME/Bili's and their was a red wire coming out of a black connector that was chewed up looking, I added a connector to reconnect it thinking it might have been the cause. I drove get the alignment and back just fine 3 hours/70mi. Then that evening when I was on my way to Memphis, I turned on the lights and fog lights, the car on the freeway dropped to limp mode. Pulled codes, p0146, p0700, p0888, p02706 and u0146. Any chance you found the cause? :dizzy:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Dig out the battery and the battery tray, and the fuse box in front of it - you are looking for an unlabeled ground point behind the driver's headlamp and under the fuse box area that is probably quite rotted. This point can be relocated nearby with fresh contacts and a fresh bolt. After you have done this, coat the connection and the area in "liquid electrical tape" which is a rubberized paint-like coating that will protect this area from future corrosion as all the rain that blows around the headlamp lands right on this spot.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:32 pm 

geordi wrote:
Dig out the battery and the battery tray, and the fuse box in front of it - you are looking for an unlabeled ground point behind the driver's headlamp and under the fuse box area that is probably quite rotted. This point can be relocated nearby with fresh contacts and a fresh bolt. After you have done this, coat the connection and the area in "liquid electrical tape" which is a rubberized paint-like coating that will protect this area from future corrosion as all the rain that blows around the headlamp lands right on this spot.

2 Pictures of the ground/area in question under the Power Distribution Center in front of the battery:
There is also another ground to check right under the rubber hood seal molding on the firewall, see third picture!

Image Image

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:52 am 
LOST Addict

Jophi, voltage drops due to any cause especially bad grounding causes all kinds of weird things with these jeeps. The grounding point WW and Geordi pointed out is often overlooked since it isn't in manual and is also often the cause. My son also had lots of problems when an aftermarket HID ballast for headlights went bad causing it to overheat the wiring to it (partially melted) on his CRD.

BTW I am probably pretty close to you.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:55 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Geordi and WWDiesel. Will check this next! You guys have a suggestion for wire sleeves? I have a harness on the top of the engine that makes me mighty nervous as the black plastic is gone. I have been checking the wires now that the gremlin came out, and wanted to get them protected.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:23 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
If your engine is missing the plastic housing (and the wrap from the factory was crap anyway) you can search for "spiral wrap" on Amazon or just wander into your local Home Depot in the electrical section and pick up several bags of spiral wrap plastic and use that. It is annoying to install, but works great.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:07 am 
LOST Member

I have Parker Polyguard.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:11 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:04 am 

jophi wrote:
Thanks Geordi and WWDiesel. Will check this next! You guys have a suggestion for wire sleeves? I have a harness on the top of the engine that makes me mighty nervous as the black plastic is gone. I have been checking the wires now that the gremlin came out, and wanted to get them protected.

Parts stores sell rolls of plastic wire loom made for protecting automotive wiring! It comes in different colors and normally in 10 ft. lengths. Also comes in different sizes depending on what you are trying to cover. :D

Redid all my wiring looms with it. It is split on one side so it is real easy to install (don't have to unplug anything to install). :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:31 am 

This is a good diagnostic and problem finding video on how much trouble a simple little bad ground can cause on a Jeep.
Two PCM's, several trips to a dealer, lots of rewiring, and finely the problem was found to be a simple loose bolt (bad ground).

If a ground is bad, the current will try it's best to find another path to ground and the consequences can cause all kinds of CRAZY things to happen.

It's a 30 minute video, but it really drives home the point of if you are having some really weird electrical problems, time to check and verify ALL the grounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvP5btMD1aM

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch